Resistance and current problems

In summary: We are given the current, I=2.8A, and the voltage, E=121V. Plugging in the values we get R=121V/2.8A=43.214 omega. In summary, for Problem 5, we use the formula I=C/T to find the resulting current when the number of charges passing through a cross-sectional area doubles. For Problem 7, we use the formula I=C/T to determine how long it takes for a given amount of charge to pass through a cross-sectional area with a given current. And for Problem 11, we use Ohm's law (V=IR) to find the effective resistance of a television set when given the current and voltage.
mustang
Problem 5.
A total charge of 12mC passes through a cross-sectional area of a nichrome wrie is 3.1s.
If the number of charges that pass through the cross-sectional area furing the given time interval doubles, what is the resulting current? In units of A.
Note: What formula(s) should I use?

Problem 7.
How long does it take for 7.5 C of charge to pass through a cross-sectional area of a copper wire if I=19A? In units of s.
Note: I don't know where to start?

Problem 11.
A typical color television draws 2.8 A of current when connected across a potential difference of 121V.
What is the effective resistance of the television set? Answer in omega.
Note: What formula(s) should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Current can be defined as the charge which passes a given point in one second. Specifically, 1 ampere of current is 1 coulomb of charge passing a given point in one second.

If you have 12 milli-coulombs pass in 3.1 seconds then it's a simple matter to calculate how many coulombs are passing in 1 second. That would be the current in amperes. Current (in amperes) equals Charge (in Coulombs) divided by time (in seconds). I=C/T

If charge doubles, then it's easy to see what happens to current by looking at the formula. Current is directly proportional to charge.

--

Here we are given 19 amperes of current and are asked to find the time it takes 7.5 coulombs of charge to pass a given point. First ask yourself how many coulombs are passing a given point in one second. If we have 19 amperes of current, we have 19 coulombs of charge passing any given point in one second. If it takes 1 second for 19 coulombs of charge to pass, how long will it take for 7.5C of charge to pass?

--

Simple ohms law problem:

Voltage(V)= Current(I) * Resistance(R)

To find resistance, R=E/I.

Last edited:

For Problem 5, we can use the formula for current, I = Q/t, where Q is the charge and t is the time. Since the number of charges doubles, the new charge would be 24mC. Plugging this into the formula, we get I = 24mC/3.1s = 7.74 A.

For Problem 7, we can use the same formula, I = Q/t, where Q is 7.5 C and I is 19 A. Rearranging the formula to solve for t, we get t = Q/I = 7.5 C/19 A = 0.39 s.

For Problem 11, we can use Ohm's law, R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the potential difference, and I is the current. Plugging in the values, we get R = 121V/2.8A = 43.2 ohms.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, the length and thickness of the material, and the temperature of the material. In general, materials with high resistance are poor conductors of electricity, while materials with low resistance are good conductors.

How is resistance related to current?

According to Ohm's Law, current (I) is directly proportional to voltage (V) and inversely proportional to resistance (R). This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of current where the direction of the flow of electric charge periodically reverses. It is commonly used for household electricity. DC (direct current) is a type of current where the flow of electric charge is always in the same direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

How can resistance be reduced?

Resistance can be reduced by using materials with low resistance, increasing the thickness and shortening the length of the material, and reducing the temperature. Additionally, using conductive materials and ensuring proper connections can also help reduce resistance.