Super hero super power physics

In summary, Wolverine has superhuman strength, hearing, and senses. He can also cut through almost anything with his claws.
MiniTank
heres the situation...ive got a physics project due tommorrow..and i need help. for this project i have to pick a superhero and find 3 physics related powers that he or she has.

my hero is wolverine..so far i have heightened hearing.. i talked to my teacher and he said he has force to do with his adamantium skeleton..but I am not sure how to explain that...umm I am sure most of you are familiar with wolverine's super powers..claws, super fast healing, adamantium skeleton, hightened senses.

i have to explain the physics behind each power but at the moment i only have his hearing. my teacher was talking abotu sheer force for either the skeleton or the claws.. the claws can tear through almost anything .. so if that's physics related it would help if i knew.. this is due tommorrow..can someone please help.. if you could tell me which powers used physics..and a site that explained the physics id be infinitely greatful...thankss...please reply soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wolverine is a hard character to deal with. If I had to do the assignment, I would pick Magneto- since his superpower physics would be simple to produce. But if you insist on finding the physics on superhuman strength, maybe look into Biophysics(the physics of energy displacement or usage). And the skeleton would have to be more dense (stronger) than bone, so first look for the molecules that make up a very strong structure. I'm not sure man, but reply back and tell us what grade you received!

unfortuntely its too late to change..and someone else already picked magneto and i can't use biophysics...he doesn't want us using that.. umm do you guys know anything about forces? or optics? how someone sees? because i could use that and his claws slash through things..so that has to be physics related... but idono any suggestions besides changing my character..cuz if i could i would but i cant

oh and is one of wolverines powers super strength?? i don't think so..hes just a very skilled fighter..but if worst comes to worst..i guess ill put that..i don't think my teacher will care about the authenticity.. btw i need three powers..just so you know..

ok I've been doing some researching..but unfortunately not enuff... don't shear(i spelled it incorrectly before) forces have to do with cuting something..so therefore i could explain shear forces when it comes to wolverines claws cutting something? if this is right.. id appreciate if you guys could show me a site that explains shear forces in detail..thanks

Shear forces come from having 2 forces on something that try to split it; like scissors. Single blades do not exert shear forces.

what about for a blade?? what type of physics would be behind that?

the force of momentum? and 2nd law of thermodynamics?

Originally posted by ShawnD
Shear forces come from having 2 forces on something that try to split it; like scissors. Single blades do not exert shear forces.

That's not true. A shear force, as opposed to a normal force, is any force that acts tangentially to the contact surface (or whatever you defined as the cross sectional area). Friction between a block and a table, for example, is a shear force. A single blade cutting through the middle of a substance is actually in double shear, since there are two shear planes (either side of the blade).

As far as Wolverine goes, I don't know. Maybe you could look into the physics of cutting? I think the problem with super-heroes is that their attributes are usually only tangentially related to reality. What else has he got: super-fast healing and enhanced animal instincts?

well i used his vision .. optics and hearing .. and his super strength.. strength i barely had stuff though..unfortunately.. if you guys want i could post it up...

1. What is the most realistic super power based on physics?

The most realistic super power based on physics would be super strength. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass times acceleration. Therefore, a person with super strength would have to have an incredibly strong and dense musculature in order to generate the force required to lift heavy objects.

2. Can super heroes really fly?

Based on the laws of physics, it is highly unlikely for humans to fly without any type of external aid. However, some theories suggest that if a person had the ability to control and manipulate gravity, they could potentially fly. This is known as telekinesis and is a common power among comic book super heroes.

3. How does the Flash's super speed work?

The Flash's super speed is explained by the concept of time dilation. According to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. Therefore, the Flash experiences time at a much slower rate, allowing him to move at superhuman speeds without experiencing the negative effects of friction and air resistance.

4. What is the scientific explanation for Captain America's shield?

Captain America's shield is made of a fictional metal called vibranium. In the Marvel Universe, vibranium has the ability to absorb and redirect kinetic energy, making it nearly indestructible. While there is no real-life equivalent to vibranium, scientists are currently researching materials with similar properties that could potentially be used in body armor or other protective gear.

5. How does Dr. Strange's ability to manipulate time work?

Dr. Strange's ability to manipulate time is based on the concept of time loops and the multiverse theory. In a time loop, an event is repeated over and over again, creating an alternate reality. By manipulating the time loop, Dr. Strange can create and enter different realities or alternate timelines. This ability is purely fictional and has no scientific basis, but it makes for an interesting and entertaining story line in the comics and movies.