Dual Pulley Problem: Acceleration of 10kg Mass

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a pair of 10.0 kg masses suspended from a dual pulley system. The goal is to find the acceleration of one of the masses attached to the larger shaft. The person seeking help has made some assumptions and equations but is unsure if they are correct. They are advised to consider torques about the center axis and use the given information to find the relation between the masses and the acceleration.
Boltak
Hi everyone...

I've been struggling with a physics problem for 2 days now... I'm really not sure what to do.

Problem -
A pair of 10.0 kg masses are suspended from (massless) strings wrapped around a dual pulley. The radius of the smaller shaft on the pulley is half the radius of the larger shaft on the pulley. If the total mass of the pulley is also 10.0kg, and the pulley is considered to be a uniform disk, what is the acceleration (magnitude and direction) of mass ([tex]m_{1}[/tex]) connected to the larger shaft?

Basically... one 10.0 kg mass is attached on the right side of the small shaft, while other 10.0kg mass is attached to the left side of the bigger shaft.

picture at http://members.cox.net/lorddreg/p9.jpg

I was assuming [tex]m_{1}[/tex] would most likely accelerate down.

This is what I have so far... I'm not sure if it is correct or not ...

For [tex]m_{1}[/tex] ...
[tex]\sum{F = m * a_{y} = -T_{1} + m_{1} * g}[/tex]

For [tex]m_{2}[/tex] ...
[tex]\sum{F = m * a_{y} = T_{2} - m_{2} * g}[/tex]

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must consider torques about the axis through the center.
The net external torque is
[tex]m_1R - m_2r=I_{net}\alpha[/tex]
so
[tex]\alpha=\frac{m_1R - m_2r}{I_{net}}[/tex]
where
[tex]I_{net}=\frac{1}{2}MR^2+\frac{1}{2}mr^2+m_1R^2+m_2r^2[/tex]
you know r=1/2R, so you should be able to find the relation between m and M (the mass of the individual pulleys)
also, a_1=αR and a_2=αr
so there you have it

for posting your question and diagram. It's always great to see someone actively seeking help and trying to understand a difficult problem.

First, let's define some variables for easier understanding. Let's call the smaller mass m_1 and the larger mass m_2. Also, let's define the radius of the smaller shaft as r_1 and the radius of the larger shaft as r_2.

Now, let's look at the forces acting on each mass. For m_1, there is the tension force from the string pulling upwards and the weight force pulling downwards. For m_2, there is the tension force from the string pulling downwards and the weight force pulling upwards.

Using Newton's second law, we can write the equations of motion for each mass:

For m_1:
\sum{F = m_1 * a = T_1 - m_1 * g}

For m_2:
\sum{F = m_2 * a = -T_2 + m_2 * g}

Since the pulley is considered a uniform disk, we can also use the equation for the rotational motion of a rigid body:

\sum{\tau = I * \alpha}

Where \tau is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia, and \alpha is the angular acceleration. In this case, the net torque is equal to the tension force multiplied by the radius of the pulley. The moment of inertia for a uniform disk is given by:

I = \frac{1}{2} * m * r^2

Where m is the mass of the pulley and r is the radius of the pulley. Plugging in the values for the smaller and larger shafts, we get:

For m_1:
T_1 * r_1 = \frac{1}{2} * m_2 * r_2^2 * \alpha

For m_2:
T_2 * r_2 = -\frac{1}{2} * m_2 * r_2^2 * \alpha

Solving for \alpha in both equations and setting them equal to each other, we get:

\alpha = \frac{2 * T_1 * r_1}{m_2 * r_2^2} = -\frac{2 * T_2 * r_2}{m_2 * r_2^2}

Solving for T_1 and T_2 in

1. What is the Dual Pulley Problem?

The Dual Pulley Problem is a physics problem that involves two pulleys connected by a belt or rope, with a weight or mass hanging from one of the pulleys. The goal is to determine the acceleration of the mass.

2. What is the equation for calculating acceleration in the Dual Pulley Problem?

The equation for calculating acceleration in the Dual Pulley Problem is a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two pulleys, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How do you set up the Dual Pulley Problem?

To set up the Dual Pulley Problem, you need to draw a free body diagram of the system, label the forces acting on the masses, and apply Newton's Second Law (F = ma) to each mass. The pulleys should be assumed to be massless and frictionless.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration in the Dual Pulley Problem?

The acceleration in the Dual Pulley Problem can be affected by the mass of the two pulleys, the mass of the hanging weight, and the coefficient of friction between the belt or rope and the pulleys. The angle of the pulleys and any external forces acting on the system can also affect the acceleration.

5. Can the Dual Pulley Problem be solved if the pulleys have different radii?

Yes, the Dual Pulley Problem can still be solved if the pulleys have different radii. In this case, the equation for calculating acceleration becomes a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2(r2/r1)), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two pulleys.