The Physics Forums Cafe- Talk all ya want

In summary, the conversation started with someone introducing a new thread for general discussion, including topics such as movies, video games, world events, science, and more. The conversation then shifted to a discussion about food and beverages, with different preferences being shared. From there, the conversation moved on to discussing chess, music, and the use of hexadecimal numbers.
Nicool003
Hey everybody here's my newest idea for a thread! Just kick back and relax here! Talk about whatever you want!
movies, video games, world events, what's going on, new exciting science AND not science things that you think people should no about! This thread is for all that in more!

Physics news on Phys.org
umm...isn't that the point of the general discussion forum?

mmm... cafe... I feel like a cappucino and a choc-chip muffin... or a hot chocolate and a cinamon donut.
YUM!

mmm... cafe... I feel like a cappucino and a choc-chip muffin... or a hot chocolate and a cinamon donut.

I'm cravin' fer a nice big platter of rare beef steak, drowned in gravy, with french fries on the side of the plate, plus a nice big cup of chocolate milkshake. Maybe i'll throw in a peppermint ice-cream sundae.

umm...isn't that the point of the general discussion forum?

No not really if you were around a really long time in the old PF you'd know what I mean.

So everyone how was your day? (hahaha)

Originally posted by Mistress Lilith
YUM!

I prefer the white moccachino, covered in whipped cream, with a blueberry muffin.

Originally posted by Nicool003
No not really if you were around a really long time in the old PF you'd know what I mean.

So everyone how was your day? (hahaha)

Every time someone asks me how my day was, I feel the intense urge to just say, "the world sucks". One of the only oases in this desert of human stupidity is the PFs.

haha yes sometimes the world sucks but tehre are some good things so look at the bright side! Hmmmm I'm rather fond of moose chocolate cheese cake. That and some hot chocolate with some whipped cream on top would be great right now!

Originally posted by Mentat
Every time someone asks me how my day was, I feel the intense urge to just say, "the world sucks". One of the only oases in this desert of human stupidity is the PFs.

right on, Mentat. I have a slight urge to say something like that, but since I'm the type that doesn't like talking (with most people), I don't. I just reply "good" or "fine".[zz)]

Anyone here plays Command and Conquer: Generals?

I'm looking fer fresh opponents.

No a friend of mine has it and I hear it is good. I play Galactic Battlegrounds, Age of Empires, and Jedi KNight 2 on the comp (when i am not on PF, eating,sleeping,talking,at school or soing homework, and tons of other stuff i have to do at some point) I also have xbox and 8 games on it so I play them too.

haha yes sometimes the world sucks but tehre are some good things so look at the bright side! Hmmmm I'm rather fond of moose chocolate cheese cake. That and some hot chocolate with some whipped cream on top would be great right now!

Hey, stop that! Now to wipe the drool off the keyboard...

haha yeah I really wish I had some now...

haha yeah I really wish I had some now...

Drool, you mean?

Who here plays chess?

Who here plays chess?

I Do. But i play only International Chess, not Chinese Chess.

No Mentat I meant hot chocolate!

I play chess...Don't know how good I am. Maybe sometime we can play against each other online.

No Mentat I meant hot chocolate!

I play chess...Don't know how good I am. Maybe sometime we can play against each other online.

Sounds good.

pogo has a good chess game setup. We could tryplaying there sometime...

heres a random change of topic...

anyone like michelle branch?

*apologies for interupting*

btw why won't it say the number of posts I've posted...?

*hits head* jst read the announcement thingy... lol

haha Yeah I was about to answer you anyways. Well being that I am a guy I don't really like Michele branch but I think she has a god voice and some skill with the guitar. My sister has the cd.

I don't care much for Michelle Branch's songs.

Anyone here like Disturbed?

I only like one of their songs, Down With The Sickness. Rather old song though.

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
I only like one of their songs, Down With The Sickness. Rather old song though.

You don't like "Voices", "Stupify", "The Game", etc from "The Sickness"? How about the songs in "Believe", do you like any of those?

I personally like songs 1-5 and 10, in the first C.D., and only like "Prayer" in "Believe", didn't care much for the rest of the songs.

You like disturbed? *shudder*

I'm sorry they give me the creeps.

perhaps it is partly because some people that I know like them completely freak me out...

So, who here know anything about "Hex"? I have asked to know what the rules are, but I didn't get a very concise answer.

Originally posted by Mentat
So, who here know anything about "Hex"?

Do you mean the Hexadecimal number system?
If so it is simply a number system that is based on 16 instead of the usual 10. That means that there are 16 digits; we use the letters a through f as digits. Counting goes like this: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f. To count higher we use the same rule as the decimal system, insert the next digit before the sequence again, so to continue counting we get: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e, 1f.
So that hexadecimal a = decimal 10; hexadecimal 10 = decimal 16, hexadecimal 20 = decimal 32, etc.
If that wasn't what you meant, just ignore me or clarify the question.

Originally posted by J-Man
Do you mean the Hexadecimal number system?
If so it is simply a number system that is based on 16 instead of the usual 10. That means that there are 16 digits; we use the letters a through f as digits. Counting goes like this: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f. To count higher we use the same rule as the decimal system, insert the next digit before the sequence again, so to continue counting we get: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e, 1f.
So that hexadecimal a = decimal 10; hexadecimal 10 = decimal 16, hexadecimal 20 = decimal 32, etc.
If that wasn't what you meant, just ignore me or clarify the question.

Forgive my not having been more clear, but I meant the board game, "Hex" (invented by John Nash, I believe).

Perhaps you mean one of the following:
-Geo-Hex Terrain Systems
-Hex games
-Html Enabled Xml parser
-Something completely different

Hmm... ask climbhi, I think he's the one who brought it up (in the old PFs).

ahh, didn't see the new page before the last post...
Here's a few links that may help.
http://www.playsite.com/t/games/board/hex/rules.html [Broken]
http://www.krammer.nl/hex/hexrules.htm [Broken]
http://www.maitreg.com/hex/beginner/index.asp
http://www.maitreg.com/hex/novice/

I haven't played it myself, but I believe the rules are simple, (1) black goes first (assuming black & white pieces); (2) whoever completes a direct line across the board first wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
I'm cravin' fer a nice big platter of rare beef steak, drowned in gravy, with french fries on the side of the plate, plus a nice big cup of chocolate milkshake. Maybe i'll throw in a peppermint ice-cream sundae.
I'd like a little BBQ muscle tissue myself, emmm. Afterwards some casual conversation involving beer and an oceanside setting...

An hex is a kind of maldition or blame upon someone, isn't it?