Reading too much into a riddle

In summary, the conversation discusses a classic riddle about a man carrying a canister of liquid he claims to be a universal solvent. The answer to the riddle is that if it was truly universal, it would dissolve its own container. However, the group also raises objections and alternative scenarios, such as the possibility of the solvent becoming saturated or being slow-acting. The concept of "universal" is also questioned, with the idea that the container could be made of aligned macromolecules that make it difficult for the solvent to act on it. Overall, it is concluded that the man is likely lying about his universal solvent.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a classic riddle (whose statement I am totally butchering, but that's ok!):

"A man is carrying a canister of liquid which he claims to be a universal solvent. How do you know he's lying?"

This text here is a bit of filler warning you that I'm going to spill the answer to this riddle in the next paragraph. So, if you want to figure out the riddle first, stop reading now before you accidentally get to the answer, because the answer is coming up soon. Ok, if you're reading at this point you don't mind having it spoiled.

The answer is that if it was a universal solvent, then it would dissolve the canister which contains it!

Now, for some odd reason I was thinking about this riddle, and realized I don't like the answer; couldn't a universal solvent become saturated, in which case it thus couldn't dissolve its container?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but another objection is that the solvent could be slow-acting and the container simply hasn't dissolved yet.

time is the universal solvent.

I thought or ur answer as i read it Hurkyl and that led me to think that the man couldn't really carry it...he'd have no arms left so it should be

"a man with no arms is standing in front of a burnt and bottomless canister, claiming it contained universal solvent, is he lying?"

but then i suppose it would dissolve some of the ground so he must be lying...maybe he is holding Ribena

Here's another take ... 'universal' carries quite a deep set of hidden assumptions, so he must be a mind-reader (to know that his 'universal' is close to what you'd understand by the word), or setting an exam question (exam questions frequently fail to define the scope well; hence the one about the physics student, the barometer, and the tall building), ignorant, ...

Examples: if it's 'universal' it would work as a solvent on Mars, at the equator of Mercury, on Pluto, at the metalic hydrogen surface in Jupiter, ... there could be a substance that's liquid under all those conditions?

so bottom line, the guy's a liar :smile:

Originally posted by Hurkyl
The answer is that if it was a universal solvent, then it would dissolve the canister which contains it!

Now, for some odd reason I was thinking about this riddle, and realized I don't like the answer; couldn't a universal solvent become saturated, in which case it thus couldn't dissolve its container?

There are certainly also other scenarios. For example, the container does not need to be conventional, like electromagnetic containment systems.

It's also possible that the rate of solution of the container is quite low so that it dosen't need to be changed.

A third possibility is that the container consists of aligned macromolecules, and the solvent needs to get to the other side before it can dissolve the container.

Originally posted by NateTG
... the container consists of aligned macromolecules, and the solvent needs to get to the other side before it can dissolve the container.
Can you elaborate?

Originally posted by turin
Can you elaborate?

Let's say the container is built out of molecules that are somewhat like lego bricks. When they crystalize (form a solid) then they are aligned in stacks.

Lego bricks can relatively easily be stacked, but it takes a lot of work to pull a brick out of the middle of a stack of them. Similarly, it might be difficult for a solvent to act on the material from one direction, and not from another, or in one region, and not in another. A container has an interior and an exterior, so if the vulernable regions are on the exterior, then the interior might still be able to hold the solvent.

Of course, the notion of universal solvent is somewhat unclear, so this may not be an effective response.

What does it mean to "read too much into a riddle"?

Reading too much into a riddle refers to overanalyzing or overthinking the meaning of a riddle. It can also mean looking for hidden or deeper meanings that may not actually exist.

Why do people tend to read too much into riddles?

People often read too much into riddles because they want to solve them and feel a sense of accomplishment. They may also be trying to impress others with their intelligence or analytical skills.

What are some potential downsides of reading too much into a riddle?

Reading too much into a riddle can lead to frustration and confusion if the riddle does not have a deeper meaning. It can also distract from the actual solution and make it more difficult to solve.

How can one avoid reading too much into a riddle?

To avoid reading too much into a riddle, it is important to approach it with an open mind and not overthink or overanalyze the clues. Taking breaks and coming back to it with a fresh perspective can also help prevent overthinking.

Is there a benefit to reading too much into a riddle?

While reading too much into a riddle can have downsides, it can also be a fun and challenging exercise for the mind. It can also improve critical thinking skills and help with problem-solving in other areas of life.