Solve Motion and Friction Problem: Estimate Car Speed When Brakes Applied

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the estimation of a car's speed when the brakes were applied during a traffic accident investigation. The conversation includes the given information, the formula for calculating the initial velocity, and a hint to consider the force of friction. The person asking for help eventually figures out the solution with the help of others.
latte
i've spent an hour reading this problem over and over again, trying to plug into the formulas but only came out with 2 or more unknown variables. I've not a clue to where to start, please help me.

Here goes..
during the investigation of a traffic accident, police find skid marks 90m long. They determine the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the roadway to be .5 for the prevailing condition. Estimate the speed of the car when the brakes were applied.

choices are:
a. 9.49 m/s
b. 21
c. 29.7
d. 42

Here's how far i got:frown: .
givens:
d=90m
coeff=.5
vf=0
vi?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only force on the car that you are supposed to consider after the brakes have been applied is kinetic friction between the tires and the road. Set ma = -μN, where m is the mass of the car, a is the acceleration, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal reaction force of the ground to the car (equal in magnitude to the weight of the car). With a known constant acceleration and stopping distance, there is a kinematic formula you can use to find the initial velocity.

Here's a clue.

Are you stuck because they didn't give you the mass?

Look: the force exerted on the car by friction is μ times the normal force. In this case, on level ground the normal force is equal to mg. Now, you want to know the rate of deceleration (-acceleration), right? Well, assuming the only force affecting the car's speed was the braking force at the tires, F=ma so:
a = F/m
but here,
F = μmg

OK?

Good timing, James. :smile:

Heh. We should start keeping score on these. I think we're tied now.

C! i believe i got it. thanks!

1. How do I calculate the speed of a car when brakes are applied?

To calculate the speed of a car when brakes are applied, you will need to know the initial speed of the car, the distance it travels while braking, and the time it takes to come to a complete stop. You can then use the formula v = u + at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

2. What factors affect the calculation of car speed when brakes are applied?

The factors that affect the calculation of car speed when brakes are applied include the initial speed of the car, the mass of the car, the type of braking system, the condition of the road surface, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road.

3. How can I estimate the distance a car will travel while braking?

To estimate the distance a car will travel while braking, you can use the formula d = ut + (1/2)at^2, where d is distance, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. You will need to know the initial speed of the car and the time it takes for the car to come to a complete stop.

4. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the calculation?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity and its value depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact. This value affects the calculation of car speed when brakes are applied as it determines the amount of force required to bring the car to a stop.

5. How accurate are the calculations for estimating car speed when brakes are applied?

The accuracy of the calculations for estimating car speed when brakes are applied depends on the accuracy of the initial values used, such as the initial speed of the car and the coefficient of friction. It also depends on external factors such as road conditions and the condition of the brakes. In general, these calculations provide a good estimate but may not be completely accurate due to various factors.