Is Gulf News providing unbiased coverage of the Iraq War?

• News
  • Thread starter schwarzchildradius
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about monitoring a news organization for propaganda leads to discussions about the current situation in Iraq, with various opinions on whether it is getting better or worse. Some mention the need for a stable government in Iraq, and others question the motives of the US in its involvement. One person brings up the success of the Marshall Plan in rebuilding nations, while another suggests that the US is only interested in oil. An Arab contributor shares their perspective on the situation in Iraq, highlighting the lack of basic necessities and restrictions on movement. Overall, there are differing opinions and skepticism about the information being presented by both Western and Middle Eastern sources.
schwarzchildradius
Let's monitor this news organisation for propaganda.
Gulf News
-we could get a fresh perspective of the war in Iraq.
-even though the UAE is/was (?) allied with the US strategically, even their official newspaper is skeptical of the logic and intentions of the military and governmnt.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm hearing that the situation for the Iraqi is getting better and then one article on the web page says "...and the Iraqis, obviously, feel that things have gone from bad to worse."

?

Who's telling the truth?

Originally posted by Sting
I'm hearing that the situation for the Iraqi is getting better and then one article on the web page says "...and the Iraqis, obviously, feel that things have gone from bad to worse."

?

Who's telling the truth?

Probably right now, the Iraqi way of life is worse in general, and will likely remain so for the next decade...especially if Bush inserts a 'faith-based' government.

I wonder what "faith-based" government he's thinking about.

Originally posted by Zero
Probably right now, the Iraqi way of life is worse in general, and will likely remain so for the next decade
Not really the impression I've got, but
...especially if Bush inserts a 'faith-based' government.
certainly wouldn't help and would be a terrible idea. I hope he isn't that stupid.

He shouldn't insert any government at all. He should help the Iraqis to make their own government. Isn't this what it's all about?

lets compare it, what's your source on the former?
BTW, I think the casualty rate is rising. During the war it was 3 per day, since march 1 famous end of operations speech it has been 1 per day. So long as there's no bill of rights or police there will be no order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, the US tends to put the next-worst warlord in charge after an occupation. It makes some small amount of sense. because only another warlord has the sheer might to rule the place while America moves out and on. Of course, Iraq used to be secular, but teh new government will most likely be extremist Muslim...which means another invasion in 5 years.

Generally, the US tends to put the next-worst warlord in charge after an occupation. It makes some small amount of sense. because only another warlord has the sheer might to rule the place while America moves out and on. Of course, Iraq used to be secular, but teh new government will most likely be extremist Muslim...which means another invasion in 5 years.

Actually I think that when it comes to nation building, the U.S. (w/ nato) has a better track record then the U.N.

Originally posted by kat
Actually I think that when it comes to nation building, the U.S. (w/ nato) has a better track record then the U.N.
Yeah. People forget we INVENTED nation building and its first incarnation was an unqualified success.

The Marshall Plan.

According to being an Arab , I think I can reflect some of our point of view aboutthe Iraqi issue.

The situation in Iraq is getting really worse than before , No water , no food , no work, no security , and no freedom of transportaion ... Poeple can't go form a place to plac e, unless they have a permission from the Army. Even if they needed water or food , they have to take permission form the army , and the army doesn't give permissions to everyone , and some poeple really needs food at that moment. Add to that , security has become the biggest problem for the Iraqi poeple , becuase you are not secured even if you're at home, or at work.

Iraqi poeple will never accpet any forgin governer at it, Iraqi poeple believe that they must be under an Islamic government. No American Warlord , or British , or even NoN-Iraqi human.

-------------------------------
Posted By FZ+
He shouldn't insert any government at all. He should help the Iraqis to make their own government. Isn't this what it's all about?
No ... What All interested Bush is OIL !

Posted By kat
I wonder why I don't believe this ? Why ? Afghanistan ? Vietnam ?

Originally posted by russ_watters
Yeah. People forget we INVENTED nation building and its first incarnation was an unqualified success.

The Marshall Plan.

Yeah, well...Bush has said repeatedly, and his actions confirm, that he is not at all interested in nation building to begin with.

Yeah, well...Bush has said repeatedly, and his actions confirm, that he is not at all interested in nation building to begin with.
Actually, Bush said recently - and his actions confirm - that we will be occupying Iraq for at least a year because that's how long it will take to stabilize and rebuild the country.

Originally posted by Zargawee
According to being an Arab , I think I can reflect some of our point of view aboutthe Iraqi issue.It's good to hear other Arabs points of view, but you'll have to forgive me if I'm skeptical of Arab view from other Arab countries as it appears they weren't quite in tune with Iraqi feelings before-during or immediately after the war. Most arab countries are also still heavily influenced by state and religoous propaganda. Although I'll keep your points in mind, I'll continue to read a variety of both western and middle east sources and develop my own view. thanks.

The situation in Iraq is getting really worse than before , No water , no food , no work, no security , and no freedom of transportaion ... Poeple can't go form a place to plac e, unless they have a permission from the Army. Even if they needed water or food , they have to take permission form the army , and the army doesn't give permissions to everyone , and some poeple really needs food at that moment. Add to that , security has become the biggest problem for the Iraqi poeple , becuase you are not secured even if you're at home, or at work. Well, I will tell you my family (in-laws) know a few Iraqi families. It seems that a family I recently discussed the Iraqi situation said that although it is difficult in Iraq, and there still is no electricity, that their family members were able to purchase a generator and so in this manner they were okay, they have been able to attain water and food and the security situation had settled down and has been somewhat over exagerated in the media. It appears that the thing they were most excited about and went on and on about is that finally they had been able to purchase a satellite dish, and for the first time they are able to view and feel as though they are once again a part of the world and not shut off by Saddams monitoring.
And while you may keep talking about how things have gotten worse, my mind's eye still retains the image of a million Shiites, for the first time in decades, free enough to make the sacred pilgrimage to Karbala. They were not permitted do so under Saddam Hussein's regime and for the first time in two decades those in power permitted them to. The last time any of them tried they were mowed down as they walked the roads by Saddam's machine guns.

Iraqi poeple will never accpet any forgin governer at it, Iraqi poeple believe that they must be under an Islamic government. No American Warlord , or British , or even NoN-Iraqi human.An Iraqi government can be secular, it does not have to be Islamic to be Iraqi. Even if it were to be Islamic, which Islamic do you suppose it should be? Sunni? Shi'ite (the religion that helped oppress and slaughter the Sunni's?) and what about the 2.5 million Christians? or the Yazidis?, Mandeans?, or Jews? Do you suggest Dhimmi for those who aren't Islamic?

-------------------------------

No ... What All interested Bush is OIL !

I wonder why I don't believe this ? Why ? Afghanistan ? Vietnam ?Maybe you don't believe this because you have failed to fully educate yourself in this subject. Maybe a little research is in order.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Actually, Bush said recently - and his actions confirm - that we will be occupying Iraq for at least a year because that's how long it will take to stabilize and rebuild the country.

Oh, so Bush lied for two years...like he lied about stabilizing Afghanistan too, obviously.

An Iraqi government can be secular, it does not have to be Islamic to be Iraqi. Even if it were to be Islamic, which Islamic do you suppose it should be? Sunni? Shi'ite (the religion that helped oppress and slaughter the Sunni's?) and what about the 2.5 million Christians? or the Yazidis?, Mandeans?, or Jews? Do you suggest Dhimmi for those who aren't Islamic?
In any case, as the thousands of Iraqi demonstrators wish, they should be offered the choice. However, the US administrators have already refused to allow proponents of a theocracy to enter in eventual elections.

Oh, so Bush lied for two years...like he lied about stabilizing Afghanistan too, obviously.
What [?]

The situation is perfect if you are an energy industry executive.
We expect Bush to lie, but the government of Israel doesn't lie when they say "occupation." Obviously our industries will pump Iraq dry of oil while the military crushes the popular uprisings with an iron fist and beauracracy. The government thinks that this will deter terrorists from striking the US.

Iraqi poeple will never accpet any forgin governer at it, Iraqi poeple believe that they must be under an Islamic government. No American Warlord , or British , or even NoN-Iraqi human.An Iraqi government can be secular, it does not have to be Islamic to be Iraqi. Even if it were to be Islamic, which Islamic do you suppose it should be? Sunni? Shi'ite (the religion that helped oppress and slaughter the Sunni's?) and what about the 2.5 million Christians? or the Yazidis?, Mandeans?, or Jews? Do you suggest Dhimmi for those who aren't Islamic?

hi,kat
wow amazing,iraq with the islamic history for more than 1000 years,ruled by islamic kingdoms century by century, a country of 1001 nights, has 2.5 millions christians?
good work by our missionaries
kat, i'd be very happy if u give me the source of the data u just specified

Originally posted by urkell

hi,kat
wow amazing,iraq with the islamic history for more than 1000 years,ruled by islamic kingdoms century by century, a country of 1001 nights, has 2.5 millions christians?
good work by our missionaries
kat, i'd be very happy if u give me the source of the data u just specified

Lol, yeah it's amazing that in the heart of what was once Mesopotamia, where for 600 years before islam became an overwhelming power, the Nestorian Church had developed into one of the most successful missionary sending churches probably in the entire history of christianity there might still be christians, even yet more amazing that there might be assyrians still speaking a close dialect to that of Jesus himself.

Iraq is home to 2.5 million Assyrian Christians, mostly in the city of Mosul. The Assyrians have been oppressed by the Persians, Mongols, Turks, and Arabs over the last several centuries. http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/war-iraq/new_govt/index.asp?article=glossary

Also, around 2.5 million Christians live in Iraq, mostly Chaldians and Assyrian Roman Catholics, speaking the old Aramaic (Assyrian-Chaldian) language. http://www.salaam.co.uk/themeofthemonth/january02_index.php

If you need more references just let me know, or you could do a google for "2.5 million christians in Iraq"...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is Gulf News providing equal coverage for both sides of the Iraq War?

It is difficult to determine if Gulf News is providing completely unbiased coverage of the Iraq War. While they may strive for balance and objectivity, it is important to remember that all news sources have their own biases and agendas. It is important to also consider the sources and perspectives that Gulf News is using in their coverage.

2. Are there any specific examples of biased reporting by Gulf News in regards to the Iraq War?

Without specific examples, it is impossible to definitively say if Gulf News is providing biased coverage of the Iraq War. It is always important to critically analyze and fact-check any news source, including Gulf News, to determine if their reporting is biased or not.

3. How does Gulf News address the viewpoints of Iraqi citizens in their coverage of the Iraq War?

Gulf News may include perspectives from Iraqi citizens in their coverage of the Iraq War, but it is important to remember that they are a news source based in the United Arab Emirates. As such, their coverage may be influenced by their location and the perspectives of their audience.

4. How does Gulf News handle reporting on the impact of the Iraq War on civilians?

Gulf News may report on the impact of the Iraq War on civilians, but it is important to remember that they may not have reporters on the ground in Iraq. They may rely on information from other news sources or government officials, which may not always provide a complete or unbiased perspective.

5. Has Gulf News been accused of biased reporting on the Iraq War in the past?

There is no evidence to suggest that Gulf News has been accused of biased reporting on the Iraq War in the past. However, it is always important to critically analyze any news source and their coverage of important events, such as the Iraq War.