If You're Reading This, The World Didn't End Last Thursday

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, "If You're Reading This, The World Didn't End Last Thursday" is a phrase used to mock doomsday predictions and encourage people to live in the present. Its origin is unknown, but it gained popularity in 2012 when a predicted apocalypse did not occur. There is no scientific evidence or theory to support doomsday predictions, and scientists generally do not take them seriously. It is important to not take doomsday predictions seriously as they can cause unnecessary fear and distraction from real-world issues. Trusting in scientific evidence and living in the present is advised instead.
Physics news on Phys.org
Aboslutely fantastic. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally posted by sir-pinski
Aboslutely fantastic. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just for you sir-pinski.

1. What is "If You're Reading This, The World Didn't End Last Thursday"?

"If You're Reading This, The World Didn't End Last Thursday" is a phrase that gained popularity in 2012 when a predicted apocalypse did not occur. It has since been used as a sarcastic phrase to poke fun at doomsday predictions and remind people to live in the present.

2. Who came up with the phrase "If You're Reading This, The World Didn't End Last Thursday"?

The origin of the phrase is unknown, but it gained widespread use in 2012 when the predicted Mayan apocalypse did not occur. It is often used as a humorous reminder to not take doomsday predictions too seriously.

3. Are there any scientific theories or evidence to support the idea that the world could end last Thursday?

No, there is no scientific evidence or theory to support the idea that the world could end last Thursday or on any specific date. Predictions of the end of the world are often based on myth, superstition, or misinterpretation of scientific data.

4. How do scientists respond to doomsday predictions?

Scientists generally do not take doomsday predictions seriously. They rely on scientific evidence and data to understand the world and do not believe in any specific date or event that could bring about the end of the world. They also advocate for living in the present and focusing on real-world issues rather than doomsday scenarios.

5. Why is it important to not take doomsday predictions seriously?

Taking doomsday predictions seriously can cause unnecessary fear and panic. It also distracts from real-world issues and promotes a negative and fatalistic mindset. It is important to trust in scientific evidence and live in the present rather than worrying about the end of the world.