Problem involving intersection of a line and a circle

In summary: Kingston.In summary, a ferry traveling at 12 mph from Kingston to Edmonds enters the radar zone of Erik's disabled sailboat, which is 3 miles East and 2 miles North of Kingston, after 4 minutes. The ferry then turns South towards Ballard, which is 8 miles South and 1 mile West of Edmonds. The coordinates of Ballard are used as the origin in this problem. The equation (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2 is used to calculate the time at which the ferry enters the radar zone, with the distance always being non-negative. The equation (-5+12t+2)^2+(8-10)^2=9 can also be used to solve this
Serious Max

Homework Statement

Erik’s disabled sailboat is floating stationary 3 miles East and 2 miles North of Kingston. The sailboat has a radar scope that will detect any object within 3 miles of the sailboat. A ferry leaves Kingston heading toward Edmonds at 12 mph. Edmonds is 6 miles due east of Kingston. After 20 minutes the ferry turns heading due South. Ballard is 8 miles South and 1 mile West of Edmonds. Impose coordinates with Ballard as the origin.

When does the ferry enter the radar zone?

2. Relevant graph

eckOJyr.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted ask if the distance to the origin has to be an absolute value in these kind of problems?

If the equation of a circle is (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2 with h and k being the coordinates of the center of a circle, then if I x=-5, h=-2 I am going to have -5+2=-3 and get negative values (for time) with this equation ((-5+2)-12t)^2+(8-10)^2=9.

It only works if the value is positive (absolute): ((|-5+2|)-12t)^2+(8-10)^2=9, or I guess then it should look like this ((|-5+2|)-12t)^2+(|8-10|)^2=9

Also another totally silly question: where does this 12t come from? As I understand it sets the whole thing in motion but I don't quite see how it's legal, if x and h are already set in the equation. I referenced another similar problem and that's why I don't completely understand all the steps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While traveling East, the ferry at time t hours will be located at x=-5 +12t

Likes 1 person
I know the question says "impose Ballard as the origin" but that doesn't constrain how you calculate the answer, it only constrains how you give the answer. So my method for this is to place the sailboat at the origin, find the point of intersection (now easier), translate it back to the Ballard plane.

Distance is always non-negative, this is a rule for metrics which are distance functions.

NascentOxygen said:
While traveling East, the ferry at time t hours will be located at x=-5 +12t

Okay, I guess it's the answer to the last question. Thank you. Btw, is it "+" because the ferry (point) travels towards positive values? Otherwise it would have been a "-"?

Actually this equation works well (-5+12t+2)^2+(8-10)^2=9 :)

Last edited:
verty said:
I know the question says "impose Ballard as the origin" but that doesn't constrain how you calculate the answer, it only constrains how you give the answer. So my method for this is to place the sailboat at the origin, find the point of intersection (now easier), translate it back to the Ballard plane.

Distance is always non-negative, this is a rule for metrics which are distance functions.

Hey yes, good idea. Didn't think about it. All these +- signs are quite confusing.

Last edited:
maxpancho said:
Okay, I guess it's the answer to the last question. Thank you. Btw, is it "+" because the ferry (point) travels towards positive values? Otherwise it would have been a "-"?
Yes, that's right.

BTW, I solved this using a triangle; no need for the circle equation.

Actually this equation works well (-5+12t+2)^2+(8-10)^2=9 :)
Your answer is ...?

Last edited:
0.063661 hours

maxpancho said:
0.063661 hours
Ditto.

What's your equation, could you reveal?

Now that we have gotten the answer, I'll show you my solution.

Let the point where the ferry enters the radar zone be (a, 8)
The distance from (a, 8) to (- 2, 10) is 3 miles.
We require sqrt[(a + 2)^2 + 2^2] = 3
(a + 2)^2 + 4 = 9
(a + 2)^2 = 5
a + 2 = ± sqrt 5
a = ± sqrt 5 - 2 = approx. 0.24 or - 4.24
a = - 4.24 corresponds to the point of entry;
a = 0.24 corresponds to the point at which it would leave if it didn't turn south.
The point where a = - 4.24 is (5 - 4.24) = 0.76 miles east of Kingston.
The ferry travels at 12 mph.
Thus the time at which the ferry enters the radar zone is (0.76/12) hours
That's 4 minutes after

Related to Problem involving intersection of a line and a circle

What is the formula for finding the intersection points of a line and a circle?

The formula for finding the intersection points of a line and a circle is (x-x0)2 + (y-y0)2 = r2, where (x0, y0) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

How do you determine if a line and a circle intersect at two points?

A line and a circle intersect at two points if the discriminant of the quadratic equation formed by substituting the line equation into the circle equation is greater than 0.

What happens if the line is tangent to the circle?

If the line is tangent to the circle, it means that the discriminant of the quadratic equation formed by substituting the line equation into the circle equation is equal to 0. This results in only one intersection point between the line and the circle.

Can a line intersect a circle at more than two points?

No, a line can only intersect a circle at a maximum of two points. This is because a circle is a two-dimensional shape and a line can only intersect it at two distinct points, unless the line is a tangent to the circle.

How do you find the coordinates of the intersection points?

The coordinates of the intersection points can be found by solving the system of equations formed by the line and circle equations. This can be done by substitution or elimination methods.