Problem involving Coulombs Law; suspended masses

In summary, two point particles of mass m and charge q are suspended from a common point by threads of length L. Each thread makes an angle \theta with the vertical. By considering the horizontal and vertical components of forces and including the tension force exerted by the thread, it can be shown that q=2L\sin\theta\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}\tan\theta}.
adkinje
Two point particles, each of mass m and charge q are suspended from a common point by threads of length L. Each thread makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the vertical. (I attached a diagram to help).

I must show that
[tex]q=2L\sin\theta\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}\tan\theta}[/tex]

I start out by writing the force sum in the coordinate system, and then I solve for q:

[tex]0=mg+k\frac{q^2}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]=mg+k\frac{q^2}{4L^2\sin^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]q^2=-4L^2\sin^2\theta\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

I'm confused by the negative sign, if I ignore it I get:

[tex]q=2L\sin\theta\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}[/tex]

The [tex]\tan\theta[/tex] is missing in my solution.

Attachments

• physics problem diagram.jpg
    physics problem diagram.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 676
Physics news on Phys.org
adkinje said:
I start out by writing the force sum in the coordinate system, and then I solve for q:

[tex]0=mg+k\frac{q^2}{R^2}[/tex]
Forces are vectors--direction matters. Hint: Consider the horizontal and vertical components of the forces.

Don't forget the tension force exerted by the thread.

Doc Al said:
Forces are vectors--direction matters. Hint: Consider the horizontal and vertical components of the forces.

Don't forget the tension force exerted by the thread.

lol, DUH the tension! I can't believe I left that one out. I pulled it togther and obtained the given expression. Thanks for your help.

Related to Problem involving Coulombs Law; suspended masses

1. How does Coulomb's Law apply to suspended masses?

Coulomb's Law states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the case of suspended masses, this law applies because the masses are considered to be charged due to their gravitational pull.

2. What factors affect the strength of the force between suspended masses?

The strength of the force between suspended masses is affected by the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant. As the masses increase, the force of attraction between them also increases. However, as the distance between them increases, the force decreases. The gravitational constant is a universal constant that determines the strength of the force of gravity.

3. How does the distance between suspended masses affect the force of attraction?

The distance between suspended masses and the force of attraction between them are inversely proportional. This means that as the distance between the masses increases, the force of attraction decreases. This is because the farther apart the masses are, the weaker their gravitational pull on each other.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between suspended masses?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between suspended masses. By plugging in the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant into the formula, the force of attraction between the masses can be calculated. However, it is important to note that this law is typically used for electrostatic forces and may not be as accurate for gravitational forces.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are both laws that describe the force of attraction between two objects. While Coulomb's Law applies to electrostatic forces, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation applies to gravitational forces. However, both laws follow the same inverse-square relationship, where the force decreases as the distance between the objects increases.