Problem interpreting this interference question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about interference fringes observed when light of a specific wavelength is incident on two pieces of optically flat glass separated by a thin metal foil. The question is clarified by gneill, explaining that the glass plates form a wedge and interference will occur.
Zomboy
1. Homework Statement

"A thin piece of metal foil of thickness 0.0700mm separates one end of two pieces of optically flat glass. The top sheet is 12.0cm long. Light of wavelength 529nm is normally incident on the glass. How many interference fringes are observed per cm in the reflected light?"

I don't really understand this question. I'm amusing that the 12cm glass pane is placed (possibly end on) on top of the second (infinitely large) pane, separated by an infinitely large sheet of (opaque/reflective) thin metal foil...

If someone could decode this question for me it would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Like you, I couldn't make sense of it, but gneill explained it:
Two flat glass plates, one end of the pair is separated by a distance of 0.0700 mm. Thus they form a wedge. Interference will ensue...

That makes so much sense. Sometimes when tackling some of these questions I feel like a 3yr old playing with a bunch of shaped blocks trying to cram a stupid square one into that smug *** circular hole. Not my finest moment.

Related to Problem interpreting this interference question

What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves overlap and combine, resulting in a change in their amplitudes or energies. This can lead to constructive or destructive interference, depending on the relative phases and amplitudes of the waves.

How does interference affect scientific experiments?

Interference can have a significant impact on scientific experiments, particularly those involving light or sound. It can alter the results of measurements and observations, making it important to understand and account for interference in experimental setups.

What causes interference?

Interference is caused by the superposition of waves, where two or more waves meet and combine. This can be due to various factors such as the properties of the waves, the medium through which they are traveling, and the relative distances and angles between the waves.

What are some real-world examples of interference?

Interference can be observed in various real-world scenarios, such as the colors seen in soap bubbles, the patterns on the surface of a CD or DVD, the formation of rainbows, and even the static on a TV or radio due to electromagnetic interference.

How do scientists deal with interference in their experiments?

Scientists use various techniques to minimize or eliminate the effects of interference in their experiments. This may include using shielding materials, controlling the environment, adjusting the properties of the waves, or mathematically correcting for interference in the data analysis process.