Problem in Great Courses Video On Physics

In summary, the lecturer posed a problem involving a rectangular rowboat with a given mass, length, width, and depth. The question was how many 85 kg people could the boat hold before swamping. The student's answer was 7, but the video states the correct answer is 6. The lecturer also gives a final answer of 590 kg without including the weight of the boat, but multiplying 6 by 85 does not equal 590. The student is confused as the lecturer only provides the final answer of 6 people. However, based on the given information, the student's calculation of 7 people seems to be correct.
Joa Boaz
[ mod note: moved from general physics so homework template is missing ]

At the end of each lesson, the lecturer gives a problem. The question is: A rectangular, flat-bottomed rowboat has a mass of 120 kg when empty. It's 3 meters long, 1 meter wide, and 0.24 meters deep. How many 85 kg people could it hold before swamping?

My answer was 7, but apparently according to the video the answer is 6. In addition, he gives a final answer of 590 kg without including the boat weight. But if I multiply 6*85, it does not equal 590. So, I am really confused since he merely provides the final answer of 6 people. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see anything that you've got wrong. On the other hand, I can't really see what you've done at all, except your answers. Perhaps it is generally a good idea to explain yourself it bit more - show your calculations.
As it stands, I think you are correct, so I'd want to see the actual question, to check that you've not missed any details.

Edit: BTW in real life, loading a boat to the gunnels is not a good idea. It would certainly get swamped. Perhaps he allowed a few mm of freeboard.

Basically, my equation was as followed:
(density of water)*(length*width*depth of the boat measurement) = (weight of the boat + weight of all the people on the boat)

(1000 kg/m3)*(3 m * 1 m * 0.24 m) = 720 kg

720 kg - 120 kg (the weight of the boat) = 600 kg

600 kg / 85 kg = 7.05

Thus, the final answer seems to be about 7 people.

Yes, exactly what I thought.
As I said, I can only wonder whether there was some other detail in the question, for example suggesting that some of the boat should be above the water.
7 people is 695 kg, leaving 5kg of reserve buoyancy - equivalent to about 1.7mm of freeboard.
6 people is 510 kg, leaving 90kg reserve buoyancy, equivalent to 3cm of freeboard. That is better, but would hardly meet Board of Trade standards.
Incidentally, in the EU a standard person is 75kg rather than 85kg. Since I'm 90kg, I think the 85kg is more realistic!
Unless the Q has specified some further details, I would say you were correct.

Related to Problem in Great Courses Video On Physics

1. What is the "Problem in Great Courses Video On Physics"?

The "Problem in Great Courses Video On Physics" refers to a specific issue or challenge that has been identified in one of the video lectures from the Great Courses series on physics. These videos are designed to provide in-depth explanations and demonstrations of various concepts and theories in physics.

2. What are some common problems that may arise in these videos?

Some common problems that may arise in these videos include technical difficulties, errors in the content, or difficulties in understanding the material being presented.

3. How are these problems addressed?

The Great Courses team has a dedicated support team that works to resolve technical issues and correct any errors in the content. They also provide additional resources, such as study guides and discussion forums, to help clarify any confusing concepts.

4. Are these problems a reflection of the quality of the Great Courses series?

No, these problems are not a reflection of the overall quality of the Great Courses series. The series has been widely praised for its comprehensive and engaging approach to teaching complex subjects like physics.

5. How can I report a problem with a Great Courses video on physics?

If you encounter a problem while watching a Great Courses video on physics, you can report it to the support team through their website or by contacting them directly. They will work to address the issue and provide any necessary support or resources.