Problem in Dodelson Modern Cosmology

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the person is asking for help calculating the energy density of a neutrino with non-zero mass, but is unsure if they can assume it to be non-relativistic for calculations.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Could you please confirm my idea of how to deal with the problem question in the attachment?
In case of a non-relativistic neutrino, the energy density will be given by:
[itex] \rho = m_{\nu} n [/itex]
And if we adopt a perturbation, then [itex]n \rightarrow n_{0} [1+ x ] [/itex]
So in general what he asks from us is to calculate:
[itex] m_{\nu} n_{0} x [/itex]
?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 583
Space news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
Could you please confirm my idea of how to deal with the problem question in the attachment?
In case of a non-relativistic neutrino, the energy density will be given by:
[itex] \rho = m_{\nu} n [/itex]
And if we adopt a perturbation, then [itex]n \rightarrow n_{0} [1+ x ] [/itex]
So in general what he asks from us is to calculate:
[itex] m_{\nu} n_{0} x [/itex]
?

It's been a while so I don't know offhand, but let me just state that the problem is talking about a neutrino with non-zero mass, not a non-relativistic neutrino. In the early universe, neutrinos were still highly relativistic.

it's the last phrase- assume it non relativistic...
It's OK I don't seek for a solution, I just want to see if I have grasped the idea. Because I don't have a closed form for that [itex]x[/itex] which happens to be the monopole expansion of the neutrinos' temperature fluctuation.
[itex]x= \frac{3}{4 \pi} \int dΩ N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t ) \equiv 3 N_{0} (x,t) [/itex]

and on the other hand, the equation for [itex]N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t )[/itex] is not solvable without having again any information about the fluctuations of the metric...
in Fourier Space ([itex]\mu[/itex] the cosine between k,p ... [itex]\Psi,\Phi[/itex] the time and spatial fluctuations of metric, dots for the conformal time derivatives) :
[itex] \dot{N} + \frac{p}{E} i k \mu N + \dot{\Phi} + \frac{E}{p} i k \mu \Psi =0 [/itex]
which I don't think is solvable without knowing anything about the variables appearing.

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
it's the last phrase- assume it non relativistic...
It's OK I don't seek for a solution, I just want to see if I have grasped the idea. Because I don't have a closed form for that [itex]x[/itex] which happens to be the monopole expansion of the neutrinos' temperature fluctuation.
[itex]x= \frac{3}{4 \pi} \int dΩ N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t ) \equiv 3 N_{0} (x,t) [/itex]

and on the other hand, the equation for [itex]N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t )[/itex] is not solvable without having again any information about the fluctuations of the metric...
in Fourier Space ([itex]\mu[/itex] the cosine between k,p ... [itex]\Psi,\Phi[/itex] the time and spatial fluctuations of metric, dots for the conformal time derivatives) :
[itex] \dot{N} + \frac{p}{E} i k \mu N + \dot{\Phi} + \frac{E}{p} i k \mu \Psi =0 [/itex]
which I don't think is solvable without knowing anything about the variables appearing.
Hmm, maybe you're right. I'm still unsure whether or not they can be assumed as non-relativistic for a), but clearly they are non-relativistic for b) (which makes sense, as they are definitely non-relativistic today).

I could probably figure it out if I had my copy of Dodelson in front of me (sadly, it's packed away at the moment). But hopefully somebody else here can help.

Your idea seems to be on the right track. In order to fully address the problem question, we need to consider the effects of a non-relativistic neutrino on the energy density of the universe. As you mentioned, the energy density can be expressed as a product of the neutrino mass (m_{\nu}) and the number density of neutrinos (n). This is a good starting point.

However, in the case of a perturbation, the number density of neutrinos will also be affected. As you suggested, we can express the perturbed number density (n_{0}[1+x]) as a function of the unperturbed number density (n_{0}) and the perturbation (x). This perturbation can represent changes in the number of neutrinos due to various factors, such as gravitational interactions or cosmological expansion.

Therefore, in order to fully address the problem question, we need to calculate the product of the neutrino mass, the unperturbed number density, and the perturbation. This will give us the contribution of the non-relativistic neutrino to the energy density of the universe. I would also suggest considering the effects of other particles and factors on the energy density, in order to get a complete understanding of the problem.

In summary, your idea is a good starting point, but in order to fully address the problem question, we need to consider the effects of a perturbation on the number density of neutrinos and calculate the resulting contribution to the energy density. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Problem in Dodelson Modern Cosmology

1. What is the problem in Dodelson modern cosmology?

The problem in Dodelson modern cosmology is the discrepancy between the observed expansion rate of the universe and the predicted expansion rate based on the currently accepted model of cosmology, known as the Lambda-CDM model.

2. How does the discrepancy in the expansion rate arise?

The discrepancy in the expansion rate arises from the fact that the Lambda-CDM model predicts a higher expansion rate than what is observed. This is known as the "Hubble tension" and has been a topic of much debate and research in the cosmological community.

3. What is the current understanding of the Hubble tension?

The current understanding of the Hubble tension is that it could potentially be caused by unknown physical processes or phenomena, such as new physics beyond the standard model or an undiscovered source of dark energy.

4. How are scientists attempting to resolve the Hubble tension?

Scientists are attempting to resolve the Hubble tension through various methods, such as refining measurements of the expansion rate, testing different cosmological models, and searching for new physics that could explain the discrepancy.

5. What impact does the Hubble tension have on our understanding of the universe?

The Hubble tension challenges the current understanding of the universe and highlights the need for further research and investigation into the fundamental principles of cosmology. It also has implications for our understanding of dark energy, the nature of gravity, and the evolution of the universe.