Problem in a circular motion (find the max Frequency)

In summary: That is incorrect. The correct answer is 5/(2π).In summary, the maximum frequency that the disc can have without the currency slipping is 5/(2π). This is calculated using the equation μ*m*g=4π²D*f²*m, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the coin, g is the acceleration due to gravity, D is the distance from the disc rotation axis, and f is the frequency of rotation. The maximum static friction is equal to the centripetal force, which is equal to 4π²D*f²*m. Solving for f, we get fmax=5/(2π).
Giannakoulis
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
In the figure below we put a small coin on a disc, which rotates at constant frequency f, at a distance D=0.2m by the disc rotation axis. If the coefficient of friction is μ=0.5, then what is is the maximum frequency that can have the disc so that the currency does not slip? g=10 m/sec^2

Anyone could help me how to start? I know that i can take Fk=Ts=m*v^2/D and replace the velocity with v=2πDf but i don't know the mass.. am i on the right way? Ts=static friction

Attachments

• 14686180_967343080042526_1138366334_n.jpg
    14686180_967343080042526_1138366334_n.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 14741594_967344550042379_2108361043_n.jpg
    14741594_967344550042379_2108361043_n.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Call the mass "m" and proceed with the algebraic solution. Maybe you will discover that you don't need the mass after all.

Also, I don't know what Fk=Ts=v^2/D is all about, but it does not look correct.

its the centripetal force my mistake, Fc=m*v^2/D which equals to static friction if i am correct.

You are correct. As the speed increases, the force of static friction has to increase to keep the coin going around in the circle. Can the force of static friction increase indefinitely?

@kuruman, do any of the offered answers look right to you? I get the reciprocal of one of them.

@haruspex me too.. My math show me f=5π/2..am I doing something wrong?

Giannakoulis said:
My math show me f=5π/2
That's not what I get. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
@kuruman, do any of the offered answers look right to you? I get the reciprocal of one of them.
None of the answers look right to me and I too get the reciprocal of one of them.

I'm saying that static friction equals to maximum friction, also the static friction equals to centripetal force. So i have Ts=Fc=m*v^2/D and Tmax=μ*Ν (N=weight)..
If you replace the speed in the first equation you get Ts=4π²Df²m.. So my equation is: μN=4π²Df²m =>μ*m*g=4π²Df²m.. if i solve this for f and replace the numbers, i know i get fmax=5/2π.. what am i doing wrong then?

I also get 5/(2π). Are we both wrong in exactly the same way or is the correct answer missing from the list that you are given?

no its not.. anyway I will wait until the tuesday.. thanks both of you guys

Giannakoulis said:
i get fmax=5/2π
Me too. In post #6 you wrote 5π/2.

Related to Problem in a circular motion (find the max Frequency)

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when the object's velocity is constantly changing due to a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circle.

What is the problem in circular motion?

The problem in circular motion is finding the maximum frequency at which an object can move along a circular path without breaking apart or losing its circular motion.

What factors affect the maximum frequency in circular motion?

The maximum frequency in circular motion is affected by the radius of the circular path, the mass of the object, and the strength of the centripetal force acting on the object.

How do you calculate the maximum frequency in circular motion?

The maximum frequency in circular motion can be calculated using the formula f = √(g/πr), where f is the frequency, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Why is it important to find the maximum frequency in circular motion?

It is important to find the maximum frequency in circular motion because it helps determine the stability and safety of objects moving in circular paths. It is also useful in designing and optimizing circular motion systems, such as roller coasters and centrifuges.