Problem from physics teacher newsletter

In summary, the problem is asking for the minimum possible period of revolutions for a particle moving in a circle with radius R in the x-y plane, where the x and y components of its velocity do not exceed v. The formula for the period is given by T=2∏R/sqrt{2}/v. This can be derived by considering the individual components of the velocity and using the fact that the particle moves in a circle. The problem becomes more interesting if v is just an upper bound on the velocity components, as it requires some trigonometry and integration to solve. However, the problem can still be solved by considering the xy-coordinates and dividing the circle into portions based on which velocity component is greater.
what2wham1
1. A particle is moving around a circle of radius R in the x-0-y plane. During the motion, neither the x nor the y component of the particle's velocity exceeds v. Find the minimum possible period of revolutions.

2. V=2*∏/TR

3. x=y=v
x^2+y^2=2v^2=V^2=sqrt{2}v

T=2∏R/sqrt{2}/v

Is this how you would do it? Can you assume x^2+y^2=2v^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
what2wham1 said:
Can you assume x^2+y^2=2v^2?
That has inconsistent units, it cannot be right.

You can use ##v_x^2 + v_y^2 = v^2##, but I don't see why this would be necessary.
##|v_x| \leq |v|## and ##|v_y| \leq |v|## should be obvious. Therefore, you can just use the formula in (2) to solve for T.

mfb said:
You can use ##v_x^2 + v_y^2 = v^2##, but I don't see why this would be necessary.
##|v_x| \leq |v|## and ##|v_y| \leq |v|## should be obvious. Therefore, you can just use the formula in (2) to solve for T.

It's a more interesting problem if the quantity given as ##v## in the problem is not the speed of the particle, but just an upper bound on ##|v_x|## and ##|v_y|##.

The fact that it is a problem out of The Physics Teacher makes me think that it might be this interpretation. But I'm not sure.

Ah right, the restriction is for the individual components. Well that makes it even easier, you can consider both components separately.

Edit: No, you cannot. Okay, the problem is interesting, you have to think about it. The calculations are easy.

Last edited:
Means the speed isn't constant though.

The particle moves in a circle. That means you cannot assume the two velocity components are always v in magnitude. That will only happen when the particle is moving at 45 degrees to the axes.
Try polar coords. Express the two velocities in terms of derivative of theta. At any given time, one of them will have magnitude v. You just have to figure out which when, and what it implies for the magnitude of the other.

Hint #1: by symmetry, you only need to consider the first octant, i.e. theta = 0 to pi/4. Theta is the polar angle with the circle centered at the origin of a polar coordinate system.

Hint #2: what is the relationship between theta, vx and vy that defines a circle as opposed to any other shape, e.g. ellipse?

Hint #3: change the problem v to k. You want v to be the actual instantaneous speed. Otherwise you get confused as several posters did already.

Hint #4: the answer requires solving a non-trivial integration.

This is a really neat problem; I was so fascinated I worked it out last night at 2 a.m.!

TSny said:
It's a more interesting problem if the quantity given as ##v## in the problem is not the speed of the particle, but just an upper bound on ##|v_x|## and ##|v_y|##.

The fact that it is a problem out of The Physics Teacher makes me think that it might be this interpretation. But I'm not sure.

I'm quite sure it is, reading the problem carefully.

rude man said:
Hint #4: the answer requires solving a non-trivial integration.
You can avoid the integration if you keep the xy-coordinates.

mfb said:
You can avoid the integration if you keep the xy-coordinates.
Quite so. I realized about one minute after my previous post that switching to polar was counterproductive, but then I lost internet access for two days! Once you've carved up the circle into portions according to which velocity component is the greater, it's very easy.

Related to Problem from physics teacher newsletter

1. What is the purpose of the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter"?

The purpose of the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" is to provide educators with a resource for challenging and engaging physics problems to use in their classrooms. These problems are designed to enhance students' critical thinking skills and understanding of key physics concepts.

2. How often is the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" released?

The "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" is typically released on a monthly basis. However, this may vary depending on the specific newsletter or publication it is featured in.

3. Who creates the problems featured in the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter"?

The problems featured in the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" are typically created by experienced physics educators and experts in the field. These individuals have a deep understanding of the subject matter and are able to design challenging and relevant problems for students.

4. Can the problems be adapted for different grade levels?

Yes, the problems featured in the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" can be adapted for different grade levels. Educators can modify the wording, context, and difficulty level of the problems to suit the needs of their students.

5. How can the "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" benefit students?

The "Problem from physics teacher newsletter" can benefit students by providing them with real-world applications of physics concepts, challenging their critical thinking skills, and helping them develop problem-solving strategies. These problems can also spark interest and curiosity in physics, making the subject more engaging and enjoyable for students.