Problem differentiating exponential function in Maxima

In summary, the person is new to using Maxima software and is having trouble with the output of a formula they entered. They are questioning if they are doing something wrong and another person helps them realize the issue is with not using parentheses around a factor. They mention struggling with parentheses and order of operations, and have had a bad experience with a course in Lisp. They also mention that Maxima is programmed using Lisp.
bitrex
Hey everyone, I'm new to using the Maxima software and I'm having some trouble. When I enter the following formula to be evaluated:

diff(1-exp^(-t/R*C),t);

I get the following output:

[tex]\frac{log\left( exp\right) \,C}{{exp}^{\frac{t\,C}{R}}\,R}[/tex]

This doesn't look right, even if I simplify the numerator. Am I doing something wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, it is correct.
At least if log(exp) really means ln(e^1)

I think you are confused by the fact that you've (presumably) forgotten to but parentheses around the RC factor, 1/R*C=C/R not 1/(R*C).

Yes, that's the problem. I swear parenthesis and order of operations are going to be the death of me; I once took a course in Lisp. I still have nightmares. From what I understand, Maxima is written in and programmed by using Lisp. :cry:

Related to Problem differentiating exponential function in Maxima

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the variable. It is characterized by a rapidly increasing or decreasing curve, depending on the value of a.

2. How do I differentiate an exponential function in Maxima?

To differentiate an exponential function in Maxima, use the 'diff' command followed by the function and the variable you want to differentiate with respect to. For example, to differentiate f(x) = 2^x with respect to x, you would type 'diff(2^x, x)'.

3. What is the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function f(x) = a^x is given by f'(x) = a^x * ln(a). In other words, the derivative is equal to the original function multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base.

4. Can Maxima differentiate exponential functions with different bases?

Yes, Maxima can differentiate exponential functions with different bases. You can specify the base by using the 'log' command. For example, to differentiate f(x) = 3^x, you would type 'diff(3^x, x)' or 'diff(exp(log(3)*x), x)'.

5. How can I graph the derivative of an exponential function in Maxima?

To graph the derivative of an exponential function in Maxima, you can use the 'plot2d' command. First, define the original function and its derivative, then use the 'plot2d' command to graph both functions on the same plot. For example, 'f(x):=2^x; g(x):=diff(2^x, x); plot2d([f(x), g(x)], [x, -5, 5])' will graph both f(x) = 2^x and its derivative f'(x) = 2^x * ln(2) on the same plot.