Problem based hermitian operator

In summary, the problem asks for a way to show that two operators, A and B, have simultaneous eigenstates. It is clear from the discussion that all eigenvalues in this problem are degenerate, so this proof does not provide any information useful in solving the problem.
quantum_prince
problem based on hermitian operator

Homework Statement

A is an hermitian operator and as we know the eigenstates a of A with eigenvalues a satisfy A psi a = a psi a.

How do we show that lambda psi a (lambda is a non zero complex number) is an eigen state belonging to the same eigen value a. We also need to say whether the eigen value is non degenerate or not.

Homework Equations

We know the property of hermitian operator

(-infinity to + infinity) integral phi* A psi dx = (-infinity to + infinity) psi (A phi)* dx

The Attempt at a Solution

(-infinity to + infinity) integral phi* A (lambda psi a) dx =

(-infinity to + infinity) lambda psi a (A phi)* dx

Dont know how to proceed from here.

Regards.

QP.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is confusing. Please write down the original question, EXACTLY as it was given to you, and it would help if you used either clearer notation, or the latex capability built in here. From what I can make of it, there seems to be a mistake in the question.

Examples for latex:

[tex]A \psi_a = a \psi_a [/tex]

[tex]A |a \rangle = a | a \rangle [/tex]

Here it comes.Could you please tell me where the mistake is.

The eigenstates [tex]\psi_a[/tex] of A with eigenvalues a satisfy
the equation [tex]A \psi_a = a \psi_a [/tex]. We need to show that then also [tex]\Lambda\psi_a[/tex] with an arbitrary complex number [tex]\Lambda[/tex] not equal to 0, is an eigenstate belonging to the same eigenvalue a.Need to check if the eigenvalue is nondegenerate or not

Last edited:
I don't understand the question, obviously if [itex]\psi_a[/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] with eigenvalue a then [itex]\Lambda \psi_a[/itex] is also an eigenstate with the same eigenvalue. This just follows from the fact that A is linear.

is there no proof for this. I mean can't we take a complex number of the form z=x+iy and prove the same.Since A is linear how can we conclude that,is there no mathematical proof for this.

Sure. Let [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] be any linear operator with eigenvalue a and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] any complex number.

Then

[itex]\hat{A} (\Lambda \psi) = \Lambda \hat{A} \psi = \Lambda a \psi = a (\Lambda \psi)[/itex].

So as I understand Hermitian operator is also a linear operator, which is why we could perform this operation.If B is a second commutation operator which commutes with A such that

[A,B] = 0.

How do we show that [tex]A \psi = a \psi [/tex] and [tex]B \psi = b \psi [/tex] ? i.e to show that these operators have simultaneous eigenstates.

All eigen values in this problem are degenerate.

Is this proof correct:
Since

if [A,B] = 0
AB = BA
AB-BA = 0

[tex]AB \psi = Ab \psi = bA\psi = ba\psi = ab\psi = aB\psi = Ba\psi = BA \psi [/tex]

therefore

[tex]A \psi = a \psi [/tex] and [tex]B \psi = b \psi [/tex]

That doesn't seem correct to me. It looks like you've assumed your answer in your proof.

If A,B commute then AB = BA. Suppose [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenstate of A with corresponding eigenvalue a. Then

[itex]A\psi = a \psi[/itex]
[itex]BA\psi = a B\psi[/itex]
[itex]A(B\psi) = a (B\psi)[/itex]

Thus [itex]B\psi[/itex] is an eigenstate of A with the same eigenvalue. Thus if the eigenvalue is non-degenerate [itex]B\psi[/itex] is proportional to [itex]\psi[/itex].

We know that the hermitian operator S interchanges coordinate x with −x. On consider
the Hamiltonian [tex]H = p^2/2m + V (x)[/tex] for a particle in a one dimensional
symmetric potential V (x) = V (−x). What can be said
about the wavefunctions in view of what we proved above i.e [tex] A \psi = a \psi and B \psi = b \psi [/tex].

How to proceed in this case?.

Related to Problem based hermitian operator

1. What is a problem based hermitian operator?

A problem based hermitian operator is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents a physical observable, such as energy or position, and is used to describe the dynamics of a quantum system. It is a linear operator that is self-adjoint, meaning that it is equal to its own adjoint, and has real eigenvalues.

2. How is a problem based hermitian operator related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, physical observables are represented by hermitian operators. These operators play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics, as they allow us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement on a quantum system.

3. What are the properties of a problem based hermitian operator?

A problem based hermitian operator has several important properties, including being self-adjoint, having real eigenvalues, and being unitary. It also satisfies the fundamental commutation relation with the Hamiltonian operator, which is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system.

4. How is a problem based hermitian operator used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, problem based hermitian operators are used to represent quantum gates, which are the building blocks of quantum circuits. These operators act on quantum bits (qubits) to perform computations and manipulate the state of the quantum system.

5. What are some examples of problem based hermitian operators?

Some common examples of problem based hermitian operators include the position operator, momentum operator, and energy operator. These operators are used to describe physical observables in quantum mechanics and play a crucial role in the mathematical framework of the theory.