Problem already solved. concept help needed. Four Wires in a square.

In summary, the problem involves four wires forming the corners of a square, with three of them exerting a force on the fourth wire. The side length of the square is 5.5 cm and the current through the wires is 1.6A. The length of the lower right wire is 1 cm and the upper and lower left currents are out of the page while the upper and lower right currents are into the page. The formula for the force exerted by a wire is F=ILB where B is the magnetic field, which can be calculated using the equation B=μ0I/2∏R. Vector diagrams using the right hand thumb rule are used to solve the problem. The student has solved both parts
runphysicsrun
Four Wires form corners of a square. Force exerted by 3 of them on 1. Concept help!

Homework Statement

side length "a"= 5.5 cm
current through wires "I" = 1.6A
"L" of lower right wire= 1 cm
upper and lower left currents are out of the page
upper and lower right currents are into the page

Problem Attached

My issue is with part b!

Homework Equations

F=ILB
B=μ0I /2∏R
Vector diagrams based on right hand thumb rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved both parts of this problem. I solved the second part by creating vector diagrams and then applying Fx=ILB for the B's produced by the upper right and lower left wires. The lower left wire has a y-component as well so I multiplied by the cos (45). However, I'm having trouble comprehending why you can assume that the angle of the field vector by the lower left hand wire is exactly 45 degrees. Can anyone explain that to me?

Also appreciated would be if someone could draw the vector representations for part B (the forces of B acting on the wires), as I want to check my diagrams!

I have a cumulative exam next Monday, so help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• four wires.png
    four wires.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
someone please reply! I really need help!

Related to Problem already solved. concept help needed. Four Wires in a square.

1. What is the problem already solved in this concept?

The problem already solved in this concept is how to arrange four wires in a square shape.

2. How can this concept be helpful?

This concept can be helpful in various areas such as electrical engineering, circuit design, and even in everyday tasks like organizing cables.

3. What is the significance of arranging four wires in a square shape?

Arranging four wires in a square shape allows for efficient use of space and can help prevent tangling or confusion among the wires.

4. What are some potential challenges in implementing this concept?

Some potential challenges in implementing this concept may include finding the right size and placement of the square, ensuring proper alignment and connection of the wires, and addressing any potential safety concerns.

5. Can this concept be applied to other shapes besides a square?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other shapes such as a triangle or a circle. However, the number of wires and the arrangement may vary depending on the shape.