Problem about Sinusoidal Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to electrical circuits where a group of small appliances requires 20kVA at 0.85 pf lagging when operated at 120 V. The conversation also includes questions about the rms magnitude of the voltage at the source end of the feeder, the average power loss in the feeder, the size of capacitor needed at the load end to improve power factor, and the impact on voltage and power loss after the installation of a capacitor. The conversation also mentions the need for a circuit diagram and asks for help in solving the problem.
BRAWNY
hey everybody
how are you ?
hope everyone's fine
well , i have this problem related to electrical circuits

Homework Statement

A group of small appliances on a 60 Hz system requires 20kVA at 0.85 pf
lagging when operated at 120 V (rms). The impedance of the feeder
supplying the appliances is 0.01 + j0.08Ω. The voltage at the load end of
the feeder is 120 V.

Homework Equations

1. What is the rms magnitude of the voltage at the source end of the feeder?
2. What is the average power loss in the feeder?
3. What size capacitor (in microfarads) at the load end of the feeder is
needed to improve the load power factor to unity?
4. After the capacitor is installed, what is the rms magnitude of the voltage
at the source end of the feeder if the load voltage is maintainedDW V?
5. What is the average power loss in the feeder for part (d)?

The Attempt at a Solution

well , since the problem gives us the complex power (20000 VA ) and the Voltage , i can get the conjugate current which equals to 166,6 and the phase angle i can get it from the power factor (0.8) .. that is what i know ..
please if you can help me out here i will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a circuit which includes the feeder impedance since the power factor and voltage are given at this point, not at the ideal generator.

If you don't see why this is needed, let me say that the ideal voltage source is slightly higher than 120 volts. If it's not obvious why, then you need the schematic.

i still have problems how to solve it

any help
i have to submit it tomorrow >> please help me out

It would be nice to see this thread completed, even if the homework is already past due.

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in learning about sinusoidal circuits! I can provide you with some guidance to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. We have a group of small appliances that require 20kVA of power at a power factor of 0.85 lagging. This means that the load is using more reactive power (VAR) than real power (W). The feeder supplying the appliances has an impedance of 0.01 + j0.08Ω. This means that it has both a resistance and a reactance. The voltage at the load end of the feeder is 120 V.

Now, let's look at the equations that we can use to solve this problem:

1. To find the rms magnitude of the voltage at the source end of the feeder, we can use the equation V = IZ, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and Z is the impedance. Since we know the voltage and the impedance, we can solve for the current (I) and then use that to find the rms magnitude of the voltage at the source end.

2. The average power loss in the feeder can be calculated using the equation P = I^2R, where P is the power loss, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the feeder. We can use the current that we found in the previous step and the resistance of the feeder (0.01Ω) to solve for the power loss.

3. To improve the power factor to unity, we need to add a capacitor to the load end of the feeder. The size of the capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the reactive power (VAR) that needs to be compensated, and V is the voltage. Since we know the reactive power (VAR) and the voltage, we can solve for the capacitance needed.

4. After the capacitor is installed, the voltage at the load end of the feeder will be maintained at 120 V. To find the rms magnitude of the voltage at the source end, we can use the equation V = IZ, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and Z is the impedance. However, the impedance will now be different since the power factor has been improved to unity. We can use the new impedance and the current that

Related to Problem about Sinusoidal Circuits

What is a sinusoidal circuit?

A sinusoidal circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that are connected in a way that allows for the flow of alternating current (AC) at a specific frequency. This type of circuit is used in various electronic devices, such as radios and televisions, and is characterized by the use of sinusoidal or sine wave signals.

What are the key components of a sinusoidal circuit?

The key components of a sinusoidal circuit include resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to regulate the flow of AC current and create the characteristic sine wave signal. Other components, such as transformers and diodes, may also be included in a sinusoidal circuit depending on its specific application.

What is the difference between a sinusoidal circuit and a direct current (DC) circuit?

The main difference between a sinusoidal circuit and a DC circuit is the type of current they use. A sinusoidal circuit uses AC current, which constantly changes direction and magnitude, while a DC circuit uses a constant flow of current in one direction. Additionally, the components used in each type of circuit may differ, as some components are specifically designed for AC or DC current.

What are the applications of sinusoidal circuits?

Sinusoidal circuits have a wide range of applications, including in power generation and distribution, audio and radio frequency (RF) systems, and electronic control systems. They are also commonly used in household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, and in industrial machinery, such as motors and generators.

What are some common problems that can occur in sinusoidal circuits?

Some common problems that can occur in sinusoidal circuits include overloading, short circuits, and component failure. These issues can be caused by various factors, including incorrect component values, improper circuit design, and environmental factors. It is important to troubleshoot and address these problems in order to maintain the proper functioning of a sinusoidal circuit.