Problem about application of E = hv to white light

In summary, the reason why we see white light is because we see all the light in the visible lights spectrum.
Zynoakib
The reason why we see white light is because we see all the light in the visible lights spectrum.

So let's say I have a light bulb that gives out white light, the reason why it gives out light its because it keeps emitting a constant amount of energy. By E = hv, we should only be able to see one kind of light. ( for instance, the energy emitted by light is 100 J and the frequency of the light wave should be 100/h, which means one kind of light) So why can we still see white light?

What is wrong with my concept? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zynoakib said:
By E = hv, we should only be able to see one kind of light. ( for instance, the energy emitted by light is 100 J and the frequency of the light wave should be 100/h, which means one kind of light) So why can we still see white light?

You logic for that conclusion escapes me.

The reason we see white light is we have receptors for many different photon energies and when they are all present we perceive that as white.

Thanks
Bill

A 100 watt light bulb radiates 100 Joules per second in a wide range of frequencies, only some of which are in the visible part of the spectrum. So in 1 second 100 Joules of photons are emitted in many colors. E=hv gives the energy of just *one* photon, and v=E/h its color. Since, there is no such thing as a white photon you cannot use use v = E/h this way. Using the formula for v with E = 100 Joules would only make sense, for example, if the 100 watt bulb radiated just one 100 Joule photon per second. And that would not be white light!

Likes vanhees71
James_Harford said:
Using the formula for v with E = 100 Joules would only make sense, for example, if the 100 watt bulb radiated just one 100 Joule photon per second. And that would not be white light!

This made me laugh :-p I mean, it's true of course, but my God is it an understatement.

Likes vanhees71 and James_Harford

Related to Problem about application of E = hv to white light

1. What is the equation for the energy of a photon in terms of frequency?

The equation for the energy of a photon is E = hv, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and v is the frequency of the photon.

2. How is the energy of a photon related to the color of light?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to the frequency of the light. This means that higher frequency light (such as blue and violet) have more energy than lower frequency light (such as red and orange).

3. Can white light be broken down into individual photons?

Yes, white light is made up of a spectrum of different frequencies of photons. When white light passes through a prism, it separates into its component colors because each color has a different frequency and therefore a different energy.

4. How does the application of E = hv to white light relate to the concept of color temperature?

The color temperature of light refers to the color of light emitted by an object when it is heated to a certain temperature. This color is determined by the distribution of energies of the photons emitted. As the temperature increases, the average energy of the photons also increases, following the relationship E = hv.

5. What is the significance of the constant "h" in the equation E = hv?

The constant "h" is known as Planck's constant and it relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It has a value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds, and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics and the study of light and its interactions with matter.