Exploring the Mysteries of Laser Guns and Lightsabers

• Thread starter AnthreX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of colored lasers as weapons, specifically in the context of the Star Wars franchise. The participants question the practicality and physics of such weapons, including the possibility of controlling their length and the need for color in a laser. They also mention the use of phasers and the power source and design of lightsabers.
AnthreX
i have been wondering...
the guns there r like red laser guns
1.if u want to kill the person why did u have to put the colour to it ?

i thought lasers don't have a colour

and the lightsabre that's just weird..
2.how can a laser stop ??

3.is it even possible to control its length ?
4.and again there is colour is there a colour so we can see ?

Science news on Phys.org
IT'S A MOVIE

Lasers emit radiation which is essentially monochromatic, ranging over a fairly wide range of frequencies from infrared to ultraviolet. There are lasers which emit radiation sufficiently intense to burn through metal plates.

The force is not strong in u anthrex. :/

AnthreX said:
i have been wondering...
the guns there r like red laser guns
1.if u want to kill the person why did u have to put the colour to it ?

No color is necessary, but there's no reason it couldn't be colored. High energy photons are probably more effective, so blue or violet would be the more powerful colors. Ultraviolet of x-ray lasers are even more powerful, and those colors are invisible to the human eye.

i thought lasers don't have a colour

Sure they do, though infrared lasers and x-ray lasers don't have color that you can see. But you shouldn't be looking into laser beams anyway.

and the lightsabre that's just weird..
2.how can a laser stop ??
3.is it even possible to control its length ?

I always preferred phasers myself.

As for how can a light sabre be of a certain length, it's done by superimposing laser pulse trains so they destructively interfere past the end of the sword. The control circuitry is a closely guarded secret of the Aldebaron Amalgomated Corporation, as is the ultracompact power supply. Now that's the real trick, since they can't use dilithium crystals (which only exist in a galaxy a far trek away from the Star Wars worlds).

Lasers are so highly focused that no photons are lost to the periphery, so unless the laser is shot into your eye, or there is some dispering force (such as fog) in the path of the beam, you shouldn't be able to see it.

I have another thought why would you even need a light sabre if darth vader confronted me with a light sabre id pull out my gun and shoot a bright red beam through his hanibal lecter helmet

1. What are laser guns and lightsabers?

Laser guns and lightsabers are fictional weapons often depicted in science fiction movies and books. A laser gun is a handheld weapon that shoots concentrated beams of light, while a lightsaber is a sword-like weapon that emits a blade of plasma energy.

2. How do laser guns and lightsabers work?

In science fiction, laser guns and lightsabers are usually described as using advanced technology to produce and control beams of light or plasma. In reality, the technology to create these weapons does not exist, and they are purely fictional.

3. Can laser guns and lightsabers be created in real life?

Currently, it is not possible to create functioning laser guns or lightsabers with our current technology. While scientists have been able to create laser beams and plasma, they have not been able to control them in the same way as seen in science fiction.

4. Are there any real-life applications for laser guns and lightsabers?

While laser guns and lightsabers do not exist in reality, the technology used to create them has been applied in different fields. Laser technology, for example, is used in medical procedures, manufacturing, and even in military defense systems.

5. Why are laser guns and lightsabers so popular in science fiction?

Laser guns and lightsabers have captured the imagination of people because they represent advanced technology and futuristic weapons. They also add excitement and a sense of wonder to science fiction stories, making them popular among fans of the genre.