Revolutionary New Electro-Optic Processor

• Thread starter onycho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processor
In summary, the conversation discusses a revolutionary electro-optic processor developed by an Israeli company called Lenslet. The processor, called the EnLight, operates at a speed of 8 tera calculation operations per second and is expected to have a significant impact on industries such as intelligence, weather forecasting, and multimedia. However, some members of the conversation express skepticism about the legitimacy of the technology and raise questions about how it surfaced.
onycho
Micro-processor technology is growing very rapidly now. The following is an example of one such project that will soon revolutionize our world.

http://israel21c.com/bin/en.jsp?enD...logy&enDispWho=Articles^l528&enPage=BlankPage

A small Israel company called Lenslet has developed a revolutionary electro-optic processor which operates at the unprecedented speed of 8 tera (8,000 billion) calculation operations per second - one thousand times faster than any known Digital Signal Processor.

The new processor, called the EnLight, will be used for intelligence, for the analysis of intelligence, weather forecasting, airport security, and for multimedia, cellular and video compression purposes. Experts predict that its capabilities have the potential to change the face of the military, intelligence and homeland security industries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Very interresting.

I trimmed down the length of the quote. It's a copyright violation to post the whole page.

Very suspicious. Sounds like a fraud to me.

Originally posted by enigma

Very interresting.

I trimmed down the length of the quote. It's a copyright violation to post the whole page.

Actually it is not a copyright violation to repost an open access site when no reuse of the article is made for profit or used as one's original ideas in book or thesis form. Also note that the article has a provision for 'e-mailing the entire article to a friend.'

This state of technology also approaches the construct of irreducible complexity. The concept that computer functions can eventually operate at the speed of light is beyond imagination.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/10/31/israel.lenslet.reut/

To see the entire Lenslet Enlight256 article, take a look at the product tab at the following site. You can even see a demo of the product by clicking on the tab at the bottom of the page.

http://www.lenslet.com/products.asp

It seems that wimms doubts the evolutionary technology jump in the "fixed-point processor which is comprised of three elements: a Vector Matrix Multiplier (VMM) capable of performing vector-matrix operations at a rate of up to 8000 Giga MAC operations per second; a Vector Processor Unit (VPU) capable of performing 128 Giga operations per second and an industry standard DSP (TI TMS320C64xx) for control and scalar processing (SPU)."

What's next...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by wimms
Very suspicious. Sounds like a fraud to me.
I wouldn't go that far, but I'm the skeptical type as well. I'll wait until I see some independent info before buying any stock.

Originally posted by russ_watters

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm the skeptical type as well. I'll wait until I see some independent info before buying any stock.

You are correct in your skepticism about computing at the speed of the photon's timescale. I'm still waiting for more independent corroboration before accepting Newton's laws of gravity and linear motion.

But it is exciting to think about such a magnificent concept in our time span.

onycho, I think you've misunderstood why I'm skeptical. Its not about technology, but how it surfaced..

Israel is generally over the average militarised country, where any military advantage is carefully looked after.
Said breakthrough, if true, could cause very significant advantage, thus normal would be that it were strictly classified, or announced by scientists from some other country. Instead its announced in military exhibit, flat out.
Products from that area often consist of 30% of lies, 30% of bad implementations, 40% of investment offers..

If it were true, we'd be bound to see 6 orders of magnitude increase in processing power on our PCs in 5-10 years. Thats way over realistic estimates. Somethings fishy in the number. We don't have even technology to feed such beast with numbers to work on at any comparable rate.

Basically dudes from forest come and say they beat all well financed giants, just because of "adventurous, original and different thinking". Yeah..

Key phrase imo is this: "Lenslet has raised $27.5 million so far from such investors as Goldman Sachs, Walden VC, Germany's Star Ventures and Chicago-based JK&B Capital." Thats what they are after, imo.

As to magnificent concept, fully agree, we'll see interesting things in our lifetime.

If it were true, we'd be bound to see 6 orders of magnitude increase in processing power on our PCs in 5-10 years. Thats way over realistic estimates. Somethings fishy in the number. We don't have even technology to feed such beast with numbers to work on at any comparable rate.
Actually, those jumps in processing power have been predicted for optical computing for well over ten years. They are not out of line. The only reason that we haven't seen a big push for this tech before is that there was not enough of a need for the power. The few industries that use that much processing power always found it more economical to just use big electronic computers.

Basically dudes from forest come and say they beat all well financed giants, just because of "adventurous, original and different thinking". Yeah..
Cutting edge optoelectronic tech is almost always developed at small companies. Generally, a professor or two has a marketable idea, he puts his best grad students on it for their thesis work, and if it pans out, they form a small company. If they are profitable, they add a few people and pursue other ideas.

Lenslet is not "dudes from the forest". Their budget runs at about one million dollars per man-year. That is about 2-3 times the amount Lucent spends at its labs. (Before you sign up for grad school, little of that is salary, it is mostly lab expenses)

One thing is very "mockable" though. Their "adventurous, original and different thinking" has been the approach worked on by numerous labs for many years.

Njorl

onycho, I think you've misunderstood why I'm skeptical. Its not about technology, but how it surfaced.

Actually I just returned from Israel this last Wednesday for the marriage of a niece. While there I was taken on a tour of several cities by one of my relatives. I noted that most of the American high tech industries have giant facilities sitting in most of the major cities. When I enquired, I was told that these companies come to Israel to be around the labs and universities where the major export is this sort of high end technology.

Israel is highly militarized as you have stated. After talking with some engineers and scientists, I was politely told that they could not talk about anything. The impression was that Israel has very specialized weapons systems that are in the realm of science fiction. The reason that companies like Lanslet announce technology now coming onstream is very minute when it comes to military applications. You are correct in the fact that they are looking for venture capital but if optic computation technology becomes available, the benefit to the health and safety to the entire world will be improved exponentially.

If that "area" announces 30% lies or 30% bad applications for their technology, how long do you think that the world would come to the doorstep of Israel? Most of us think that the USA is the single world power because of its own technological advances but in truth, Israel in coordination with American scientists develops advanced technology that we don't even dream exists.

Do you think for a moment that investors such as Goldman Sachs, Walden VC, Germany's Star Ventures and Chicago-based JK&B Cap would put venture capital into a country where lies and deceit about inventions and constructs of our universe are conceived?

Israel is the size of Rhode Island but if you will note that the world seems to fixate on this little island in a sea of adversaries. Could it be because this "area" is looking for venture capital or is it that there might be some other not so evident reason?

Easy, guys, no need to convert me. If I'm wrong, VERY fine. I am "just" suspicious.
Just one thing to think about, high-tech venture capital fraud is not that uncommon.

1. What is a Revolutionary New Electro-Optic Processor?

A Revolutionary New Electro-Optic Processor is a cutting-edge computer processor that uses both electrical and optical signals to perform calculations and data processing tasks. This technology is expected to greatly increase the speed and efficiency of computing devices.

2. How does the Electro-Optic Processor differ from traditional processors?

The Electro-Optic Processor differs from traditional processors in that it uses light to transmit information instead of just electrical signals. This allows for faster processing speeds and lower energy consumption.

3. What are the potential applications for the Electro-Optic Processor?

The potential applications for the Electro-Optic Processor are vast and varied. It can be used in fields such as artificial intelligence, big data analysis, and high-performance computing. It also has potential applications in industries such as aerospace, defense, and telecommunications.

4. What are the advantages of using an Electro-Optic Processor?

The main advantages of using an Electro-Optic Processor are its speed and energy efficiency. It can perform calculations and process data significantly faster than traditional processors, while also consuming less energy. This makes it ideal for handling large amounts of data and complex tasks.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with using an Electro-Optic Processor?

While the Electro-Optic Processor has many advantages, there are also some limitations and challenges that come with this technology. One of the main challenges is integrating it into current computer systems and devices. There may also be challenges with cost and production of these processors on a large scale. Additionally, there may be limitations in terms of compatibility with existing software and programming languages.