Rock Thrown Vertically: Maximum Height & Time to Hit Ground | 24m/s Velocity

• Thread starter Buffalob07
  • Start date
In summary, the rock will reach maximum height of 31.39 meters after 2.45 seconds, and will hit the ground after a total of 4.98 seconds, reaching a height of 2 meters.
Buffalob07
A rock is thrown vertically with the celocity of 24 meters per second. It reaches a height of 2+24t-4.9t^2 after t seconds. How many seconds after the rock is thrown will it reach maximum height? What is the maximum height in meters? How many seconds after the rock is thrown will it hit the ground? Round answers to the nearest hundredth. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
position = s(t) = 2 + 24t - 4.9t^2

velocity = v(t) = s'(t) = 24 - 9.8t

The maximum height will be reached when velocity equals 0 (because once the rock's velocity reaches 0, it will be come negative and start falling downward.

24 - 9.8t = 0
9.8t = 24
t = 2.45

So, to answer the first question, maximum height is reached at t = 2.45 seconds.

Now, to find the height reached, take the original position function and subtitute in the time...

s(2.45) = 2 + 24(2.45) - 4.9(2.45)^2 = 31.39.

The maximum height reached is 31.39 meters.

Someone else's input with the last question should be used. I tried doing it and I got an undefined answer, so I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong.

Continuing where IG left off... t = 2.45 s for the climb, and another 2.45s to come back down to the original position, at a height of 2 m. That's 4.9s so far. Now there's an additional 2m to go, and the velocity is now 24 m/s downwards.

from s = ut + 4.9t^2, with s = 2 and u = 24, you get,
4.9t^2 + 24t -2 = 0
Solution is t = (-24 + sqrt(576+39.2))/9.8 = 0.08 s

Total time = 4.98s

1. How do I know if someone is qualified to help me with my problem?

The best way to determine if someone is qualified to help you is to ask them about their experience and credentials. You can also ask for references or look for reviews from other individuals who have received help from them.

2. Is it okay to ask for help with a problem I am struggling with?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength and shows that you are willing to learn and improve. It is important to reach out for help when needed instead of struggling on your own.

3. How can I find someone to help me with my problem?

There are many ways to find someone who can help you with your problem. You can ask friends or family for recommendations, search online for professionals or experts in the specific field, or seek help from a tutor or mentor.

4. What should I do if the person helping me is not able to solve my problem?

If the person helping you is not able to solve your problem, it is important to communicate openly with them and express your concerns. You can also seek help from another person who may have a different perspective or approach to the problem.

5. Is it important to explain my problem clearly when seeking help?

Yes, it is crucial to explain your problem clearly when seeking help. This will ensure that the person helping you understands the issue and can provide the most effective solution. It is also helpful to provide any relevant background information or details to give a better understanding of the problem.