Probability that the total annual profit is not more than 800000

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: As you wrote before, the variance is $2500\sigma^2$.So the standard deviation cannot be $2500\sigma$, can it? (Shake)
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey!

An insurance office has $2500$ contracts with mean annual profit (per contract) $\mu=330$ and standard deviation $\sigma=540$. Calculate the probability that the total annual profit is not more than $800000$.

I have one the following:

The annual total profit should be not more than $800000$, that means that per contract it shoulebe not more than $\frac{800000}{2500}=320$.

So $$Z=\frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}=\frac{320-330}{540}\approx -1.31 \\ P(Z\leq -1.31)=0.0968$$ Is that the correct probability?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

Let $n=2500$ be the number of contracts,
Let $X_i$ be the annual profit of contract $i$.
Let $X=\sum\limits_{i=1}^{n} X_i$ the annual profit.

So we want to know $P(X\not >800k)=P(X\le 800k)$.

We assume that the $X_i$ are independent and have distribution $N(\mu, \sigma^2)$.
Can we tell what the distribution of $X$ is? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Let $n=2500$ be the number of contracts,
Let $X_i$ be the annual profit of contract $i$.
Let $X=\sum\limits_{i=1}^{n} X_i$ the annual profit.

So we want to know $P(X\not >800k)=P(X\le 800k)$.

We assume that the $X_i$ are independent and have distribution $N(\mu, \sigma^2)$.
Can we tell what the distribution of $X$ is? 🤔

Isn't $X$ also normal with $N(2500 \mu, 2500 \sigma^2)$ ?

mathmari said:
Isn't $X$ also normal with $N(2500 \mu, 2500 \sigma^2)$ ?
Yep. (Nod)

Can we calculate $P(X\le 800k)$ now?
I think it comes out slightly different than what you wrote before. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

Can we calculate $P(X\le 800k)$ now?
I think it comes out slightly different than what you wrote before. 🤔

It is $$P\left (\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{2500}X_i-2500\mu}{2500\sigma}\leq 8000000\right )$$ or not?

We have to apply central limit theorem, or not? :unsure:

mathmari said:
We have to apply central limit theorem, or not?

No need.
We already know that the sum of independent random variables with identical normal distributions is again a normal distribution.
So we don't need the $n=2500$ to be sufficiently large. 🧐

mathmari said:
It is $$P\left (\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{2500}X_i-2500\mu}{2500\sigma}\leq 8000000\right )$$ or not?

As you wrote before, the variance is $2500\sigma^2$.
So the standard deviation cannot be $2500\sigma$, can it? (Shake)

Btw, we need parentheses in the numerator.
Otherwise we have $\sum_{i=1}^{2500}X_i-2500\mu = (\sum_{i=1}^{2500}X_i)-2500\mu \ne \sum_{i=1}^{2500}(X_i-2500\mu)$. 🧐

Last edited:

Related to Probability that the total annual profit is not more than 800000

1. What is the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000?

The probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 depends on various factors such as the company's financial performance, market conditions, and economic trends. It is not possible to accurately determine the probability without analyzing these factors.

2. How is the probability of the total annual profit calculated?

The probability of the total annual profit can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes (total annual profit not more than 800000) by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a decimal, percentage, or fraction.

3. Can the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 change over time?

Yes, the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 can change over time due to changes in the company's financial performance, market conditions, and economic trends. It is important to regularly reassess the probability to make informed decisions.

4. How can the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 be increased?

The probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 can be increased by improving the company's financial performance, adapting to changing market conditions, and making strategic decisions based on economic trends. However, it is important to note that there is no guarantee of a specific probability.

5. Is it possible for the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 to be 100%?

No, it is not possible for the probability of the total annual profit being not more than 800000 to be 100%. There is always a chance for unexpected events or factors that can affect the company's profits. However, the probability can be close to 100% if the company has a strong financial performance and is well-prepared to handle potential risks.