Probability that n points lie on one side of a circle

Am I missing something?In summary, the probability that n points chosen at random on the circumference of a circle all lie in some semicircle is n(1/2)^(n-1). This is found by considering the probability of each point being in a semicircle and multiplying them together since the events are mutually exclusive. The probability is also equivalent to the sum of the probabilities of each point starting the semicircle, which is 1/n, multiplied by the probability of the remaining n-1 points being in the semicircle, which is (1/2)^(n-1). However, this answer may differ from other methods such as using the results of problem 18 on page 41 of Feller
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose that n points are independently chosen at random on the circumference of a circle and we want the probability that they all lie in some semicircle.
Let ##P_1...P_n## denote the n points. Let A denote the event that all the points are contained in some semicircle and let ##A_i## be the event that all the points lie in the semicircle beginning at the point ##P_i## and going clockwise for 180 degrees, ## i \in {1,...n}## Find P(A).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know $$ P(A) = P(\cup_{i=1}^{n} A_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} P(A_i) $$ since the ##A_i## are mutually exclusive. I then said each ##P_i## is a uniformly distributed point with density $$f(x) = 1/(2\pi), x \in (0,2\pi). $$
So $$P(0≤x≤\pi) = \int_{0}^{\pi} 1/(2\pi) dx = 1/2. $$ So this is the probability of one point being in a semicircle. (this result being obvious) So for the first point, I have $$P(A_1) = 1/2 (1/2)^{n-1}. $$ Similarly, $$P(A_2) = (1-1/2)(1/2)(1/2)^{n-2} $$ and $$P(A_3) = (1-1/2)(1-1/2)(1/2)(1/2)^{n-3} ...$$

Bringing this together, I get $$P(A) = P(A_1) +P(A_2) +...P(A_n) = n(1/2)^n, $$ after simplification. But the answer says ##n(1/2)^{n-1}?## Any advice? Many thanks
EDIT: I thought it through a little more. The probability that the first point starts the semicircle is 1/n. The probability of the remaining n-1 points lying in the semicircle is ##(1/2)^{n-1}## Would ##P(A_1) = 1/n (1/2)^{n-1}?##
EDIT2: Sorry, misread the Q. ##P(A_1)## is the probability that all the points lie in a semicircle beginning at point 1. This is a given, but I previously assumed they wanted to know the probability that ##P_1## was the first point. Hence, fixing point 1, the probability that all the remaining points lie in the semicircle going clockwise is 1/2 for each point (either it is in a semicircle going clockwise or anticlockwise) So ##P(A_i) = (1/2)^{n-1} => P(A) = n (1/2)^{n-1}.## Is this now a reasonable argument?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you got there. The argument is sound.

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that n points are independently chosen at random on the circumference of a circle and we want the probability that they all lie in some semicircle.
Let ##P_1...P_n## denote the n points. Let A denote the event that all the points are contained in some semicircle and let ##A_i## be the event that all the points lie in the semicircle beginning at the point ##P_i## and going clockwise for 180 degrees, ## i \in {1,...n}## Find P(A).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know $$ P(A) = P(\cup_{i=1}^{n} A_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} P(A_i) $$ since the ##A_i## are mutually exclusive. I then said each ##P_i## is a uniformly distributed point with density $$f(x) = 1/(2\pi), x \in (0,2\pi). $$
So $$P(0≤x≤\pi) = \int_{0}^{\pi} 1/(2\pi) dx = 1/2. $$ So this is the probability of one point being in a semicircle. (this result being obvious) So for the first point, I have $$P(A_1) = 1/2 (1/2)^{n-1}. $$ Similarly, $$P(A_2) = (1-1/2)(1/2)(1/2)^{n-2} $$ and $$P(A_3) = (1-1/2)(1-1/2)(1/2)(1/2)^{n-3} ...$$

Bringing this together, I get $$P(A) = P(A_1) +P(A_2) +...P(A_n) = n(1/2)^n, $$ after simplification. But the answer says ##n(1/2)^{n-1}?## Any advice? Many thanks
EDIT: I thought it through a little more. The probability that the first point starts the semicircle is 1/n. The probability of the remaining n-1 points lying in the semicircle is ##(1/2)^{n-1}## Would ##P(A_1) = 1/n (1/2)^{n-1}?##
EDIT2: Sorry, misread the Q. ##P(A_1)## is the probability that all the points lie in a semicircle beginning at point 1. This is a given, but I previously assumed they wanted to know the probability that ##P_1## was the first point. Hence, fixing point 1, the probability that all the remaining points lie in the semicircle going clockwise is 1/2 for each point (either it is in a semicircle going clockwise or anticlockwise) So ##P(A_i) = (1/2)^{n-1} => P(A) = n (1/2)^{n-1}.## Is this now a reasonable argument?

If you use the results of problem 18, page 41 of Feller, "An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications", Vol. II (Wiley, 1971), the answer will come out as
[tex] P_{Feller} = \frac{n+1}{2^n}, \: n \geq 3 .[/tex] For n = 3 this gives a probability of PFeller = 1/2, while the answer you wrote gives 3/4. (Note: the n in Feller is the same as the n in your problem!)

RGV

For n=3, I believe 3/4 is correct. We can fix one of the points as an origin and measure the locations of the other two from there as being in the range [0, 1], uniformly distributed. We can represent the pair graphically as (x, y), the possibilities forming a unit square.
If x<0.5 and y<0.5, the condition is met.
If 0.5<x and 0.5<y, the condition is met.
If |x-y| > 0.5 the condition is met.
These are non-overlapping areas adding up to 3/4.

Related to Probability that n points lie on one side of a circle

1. What does the term "probability" refer to in this context?

The term "probability" refers to the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. In this context, it refers to the likelihood that a given number of points will lie on one side of a circle.

2. How is the probability of n points lying on one side of a circle calculated?

The probability of n points lying on one side of a circle is calculated by dividing the number of possible arrangements where n points lie on one side by the total number of possible arrangements of n points on a circle.

3. Can the probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, the probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. It is always expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

4. Does the size or location of the circle affect the probability?

Yes, the size and location of the circle can affect the probability. As the size of the circle increases, the likelihood of n points lying on one side also increases. The location of the circle can also impact the probability, as a circle centered around the points will have a higher likelihood of all points lying on one side compared to a circle that is not centered around the points.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of this concept, such as in physics, statistics, and geometry. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of particles colliding in a given area, or the likelihood of a certain number of data points falling within a specific range in a statistical analysis.