Probability Questions with Multiple Dices

• Thread starter Questions999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of scoring a 5 on all three dice is 1/6, the probability of scoring a 6 on at least one dice is also 1/6, and the probability of the sum of the scores being smaller or equal to six is 7/18. The probability of the sum of the scores being bigger than the product of the scores or none of the dice scoring a 5 or 6 is unknown. The probability of two dice having the same score is also unknown.
Questions999
I came across this problem in a book that I bought recently. Three dices are dropped. Find the probability that when we roll the dices:

a) In all the dices we score 5. (Not as a sum) My answer:3/18 = 1/6

b) In at least one dice we score 6 My answer : 3/18=1/6

c) The sum of the scores in the dices is smaller or equal to six My answer :
we have the combinations (1 1 1), (1 1 2), (1 1 3),(1 1 4),(2 1 2), (2 1 3), (4 1 1) so my answer is 7/18

d) The sum of the scores in the dices is bigger than the product of the scores..I don't know how to do this one

e) In none of the dices we score 5 or 6.This has to be 3/18+3/18 =6/18=1/3

f) In two dices we have the same score..I don't know how to do this one either :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the first one. Can you explain your answer for a) ?

How many possible outcomes are there if you throw three dice?

By the way- "dice" is itself the plural of the word "die". There is no such word as "dices".

Elaia06 said:
I came across this problem in a book that I bought recently. Three dices are dropped. Find the probability that when we roll the dices:

a) In all the dices we score 5. (Not as a sum) My answer:3/18 = 1/6

b) In at least one dice we score 6 My answer : 3/18=1/6

c) The sum of the scores in the dices is smaller or equal to six My answer :
we have the combinations (1 1 1), (1 1 2), (1 1 3),(1 1 4),(2 1 2), (2 1 3), (4 1 1) so my answer is 7/18

d) The sum of the scores in the dices is bigger than the product of the scores..I don't know how to do this one

e) In none of the dices we score 5 or 6.This has to be 3/18+3/18 =6/18=1/3

f) In two dices we have the same score..I don't know how to do this one either :/

It is *very* important that you show us your work, at least for (a) and (b), because I cannot figure out how you could possibly get the types of numbers you have written. Where does the denominator '18' come from?

Ray, I would guess it is 3 * 6, which is an understandable error but incorrect.

CompuChip said:
Ray, I would guess it is 3 * 6, which is an understandable error but incorrect.

I knew that, of course, but I wanted the OP to spell it out. No luck so far.

Related to Probability Questions with Multiple Dices

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of a certain event occurring. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a dice, the probability of getting a 5 is 1/6 or 16.67%.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations or experiments and may vary due to chance.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in a variety of fields, such as statistics, finance, and science. It can be used to make predictions, analyze risk, and make informed decisions based on data. For example, insurance companies use probability to determine the likelihood of certain events, such as car accidents, and set their premiums accordingly.

5. Can probability be affected by external factors?

Yes, probability can be affected by external factors such as bias, chance, and randomness. This can cause the theoretical probability to differ from the experimental probability. Additionally, the more trials or observations there are, the closer the experimental probability will be to the theoretical probability.