Center of mass and REduced mass

In summary: The centre of mass coordinate system simplifies the math involved in the problem of determining the reduced mass of a two-body system. The equation for reduced mass is simply a rearrangement of the equation for the total mass. If we consider a N-particle system where the particle positions x(i) are measured relative to the C.M., we have, for a conservative system, that the energy equation (f.ex.) may be written as:1/2*MV^(2)+1/2*(v^(T)*Q*v)+U=const.Here, M is the system's total mass, V is the speed of C.M, U is the potential energy; whereas v
PeteGt
I forget how these two relate both conceptually and mathematically...any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\mu = \frac{m_1m_2}{m_1 + m_2}[/tex]

[tex]m_{cm} = \frac{\sum x_n m_n}{\sum m_n}[/tex]

cookiemonster

So what about more than one mass? So would the reduced mass formula really be 1/u=1/m1+1/m2+1/m3+...

Honestly, I've never seen it for more than two masses, but I suppose the most logical extension would be

[tex]\frac{1}{\mu} = \sum \frac{1}{m_n}[/tex]

That being said, the above expression may have absolutely no physical meaning. I don't know.

Anyway, for the uses of the center of mass and reduced mass together is a 2-body problem. The math simplifies in the center of mass coordinate system and when you use the center of mass coordinate system, the math involved makes it convenient to define reduced mass as such.

cookiemonster

Edit: I say "the most logical extension" because reduced mass is also defined as

[tex]\frac{1}{\mu} = \frac{1}{m_1} + \frac{1}{m_2}[/tex]

You can use a bit of algebra to demonstrate that this equation is simply a rearrangement of the first one I gave.

Edit2: Which I would have known you already knew had I read your post more carefully...

Last edited:
I think the reduced-mass concept should be generalized to a matrix rather than to a scalar. If we consider a N-particle system where the particle positions x(i) are measured relative to the C.M., we have, for a conservative system, that the energy equation (f.ex.) may be written as:
1/2*MV^(2)+1/2*(v^(T)*Q*v)+U=const.
Here, M is the system's total mass, V is the speed of C.M, U is the potential energy; whereas v is the N-vector of particle velocities, v^(T)=(v(1),..,v(N))
(T is for transpose)
(v(i)=dx(i)/dt)).
Q is the N*N diagonal mass matrix, Q(j,j)=m(j), where m(j) is the mass of the j-th particle.
(The resulting product of velocities, f.ex. v(j)^(2) is the dot product if v(j) is a vector.)

We have, by definition of particle positions relative to C.M, m(i)*x(i)=0, where summing over i=1,..N is implied.
Hence, we may eliminate a particle (the N'th, f.ex.), from our system, and
we represent the other particles by their distances x(i,N) (i=1,..N-1):
x(i)=x(N)+x(i,N), i=1,..N-1, v(i,N)=dx(i,N)/dt, vrel^(T)=(v(1,N),...v(N-1,N))

The energy equation may now be rewritten as:
1/2*MV^(2)+1/2*(vrel^(T)*R*vrel)+U=const.

Here, R is the (N-1)*(N-1) reduced mass matrix with respect to particle N:

R(j,j)=r(j,j)=m(j)(M-m(j))/M
R(i,j)=R(j,i)=-r(i,j), r(i,j)=m(i)*m(j)/M (i not equal to j)

We see that r(i,j) is less than both m(i) and m(j).
Again, products of velocities should be regarded as inner products if the velocities v(i,N) are vectors.

cookiemonster said:
[tex]m_{cm} = \frac{\sum x_n m_n}{\sum m_n}[/tex]

cookiemonster

The centre of mass is a position, not a mass.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the "center of gravity" and can be thought of as the average position of all the mass in an object.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual parts of an object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each part by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is significant because it is the point around which an object or system will rotate if a force is applied to it. It is also used to determine the stability, balance, and motion of an object or system.

4. What is the reduced mass?

The reduced mass is a concept used in physics to simplify the calculation of the motion of two or more objects that are interacting with each other. It is the equivalent mass of one object that is moving in the gravitational field of another object, and is calculated using the masses of both objects and the distance between them.

5. How is the reduced mass used?

The reduced mass is used in many equations related to the motion of objects in a gravitational field, such as the equations for orbital motion and binary star systems. It allows for the simplification of these complex calculations and makes it easier to analyze the behavior of interacting objects.