Probability Question with Mutually Exclusive and Indpendent Events

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two events, A and B, with probabilities of 0.3 and 0.4 respectively. The given problem asks to find the value of P(A ∪ B) under two different conditions: when A and B are mutually exclusive, and when they are independent. The formula for P(A ∪ B) is also mentioned. Further, the concept of mutually exclusive and independent events is explained with the help of a coin tossing example. The conversation ends with a request for suggestions on how to solve the problem.
cmkluza
Hello, I'm sorry for the title of this thread, but I don't actually even know what to call this. I'm very bad at probability and statistics in general, but I have the following problem:

Events A and B are such that P(A) = 0.3 and P(B) = 0.4.
(a) Find the value of P(AB) when
(i) A and B are mutually exclusive;
(ii) A and B are independent.

(b) Given that P(AB) = 0.6, find P(A | B).

I would like to start trying this, but I don't really know where to start. I can hardly understand the wording used in these kinds of problems, much less make sense of the math. Can anyone make any suggestions to help me out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:
Hello, I'm sorry for the title of this thread, but I don't actually even know what to call this. I'm very bad at probability and statistics in general, but I have the following problem:

Events A and B are such that P(A) = 0.3 and P(B) = 0.4.
(a) Find the value of P(AB) when
(i) A and B are mutually exclusive;
(ii) A and B are independent.

(b) Given that P(AB) = 0.6, find P(A | B).

I would like to start trying this, but I don't really know where to start. I can hardly understand the wording used in these kinds of problems, much less make sense of the math. Can anyone make any suggestions to help me out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Your question is fine :).
For a conceptual idea you can think of tossing a fair coin: A is heads and B is tails.

Are you aware of any formulas for probabilities? In particular \(\displaystyle P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B)\)

Notation:
  • \(\displaystyle P(A \cap B)\) is the intersection but I think of it as and (as in getting heads and tails)
  • \(\displaystyle P(A \cup B)\) is called the union but I find it easier to think of it as or (getting heads or tails)

If events A and B are mutually exclusive it means that the chance of A and B happening is 0. In our coin example you cannot get heads and tails so they are mutually exclusive.

Using notation this is: \(\displaystyle P(A \cap B) = 0\)

Independent events are ones which do not change however many times you do them. Tossing a coin will always be 50/50 whether it's the first or the fiftieth toss. Contrast drawing cards from a deck (without replacement): if you draw the 3 of hearts you cannot draw it a second time.

In this case: \(\displaystyle P(A \cap B) = P(A)P(B)\)

Can you apply this to your problem?

Related to Probability Question with Mutually Exclusive and Indpendent Events

1. What is the difference between mutually exclusive and independent events?

Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time, while independent events are events that have no effect on each other's probability of occurring.

2. How can I determine if two events are mutually exclusive?

To determine if two events are mutually exclusive, you can check if they have any outcomes in common. If they have no outcomes in common, then they are mutually exclusive.

3. Can two events be both mutually exclusive and independent?

No, two events cannot be both mutually exclusive and independent. If two events are mutually exclusive, it means that they cannot occur at the same time, which contradicts the definition of independent events.

4. How is the probability of two independent events calculated?

The probability of two independent events occurring is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual event. This can be represented by the formula P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B).

5. Can two events be neither mutually exclusive nor independent?

Yes, two events can be neither mutually exclusive nor independent. This occurs when the events have some outcomes in common, but the outcome of one event does not affect the probability of the other event occurring.