Probability problem involving binomial expnasions

You're welcome, sinisterstuf! :smile:(You're not dumb, you're just tired … go to bed! :zzz: )In summary, the conversation was about expanding ([2/3]+[1/3])^4 and calculating the probabilities of getting all strawberry creams, two of each type, and at least 2 strawberry creams when randomly choosing four chocolates (with replacement) from a box containing strawberry creams and almond centres in the ratio 2:1. The correct answers were (16/81) for all strawberry creams, (8/27) for two of each type, and (8/9) for at least 2 strawberry creams. The conversation also included tips for solving these types of
sinisterstuf

Homework Statement

a) Expand ([2/3]+[1/3])^4
b) Four chocolates are randomly taken (with replacement) from a box containing strawberry creams and almond centres in the ratio 2 : 1. What is the probability of getting:
i) all strawberry creams
ii) two of each type
iii) at least 2 strawberry creams?

(I can't use the things at the top of the form so I'll write fractions as (x/y) and powers as x^y)

Homework Equations

...well, this is how you do the general binomial expansion:
Tr+1 = (n,r) a^(n-r) b^r

n is the number of terms
r is the term you are at
the r+1 is supposed to be subscript
the n & r in (n,r) (that is the coefficient) are supposed to be one above the other

The Attempt at a Solution

a) is easy: ([2/3]+[1/3])^4 = (2/3)^4 + 4(2/3)^3(1/3) + 6(2/3)^2(1/3)^2 + 4(2/3)(1/3)^3 + (1/3)^4

b) is also mostly easy:
i) (2/3)^4 = (16/81)
ii) 6(2/3)^2(1/3)^2 = (8/27)
iii) this one I can't do. The book says the answer is (8/9) but I don't know how they got it. I got (392/729). This is how i got it. The question asks for possibilites of 2 or more of the 2/3 chocolates, so:
(2/3)^4 + 4(2/3)^3(1/3) + 6(2/3)^2(1/3)^2 =
= (16/81) + 4(8/27)(1/27) + (8/27)
= (16/81) + (8/27)(4/27) + (24/81)
= (144/729) + (32/729) + (216/729)
= (392/729)
I don't know what I do wrong, but I have a feeling it's in the probability part. There's probably something wrong with how I'm combining the probilities of 2 strawberry, 3 strawbeery & 4 strawberry. Can anyone lend me a hand please? Is there anything more that I need to add?

thanks in advance
-sinisterstuf

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi sinisterstuf ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
sinisterstuf said:

erm … where did those 27s come from?? :confused:

all the fractions should be over 81, shouldn't they? :smile:

sinisterstuf said:

Homework Statement

a) Expand ([2/3]+[1/3])^4
b) Four chocolates are randomly taken (with replacement) from a box containing strawberry creams and almond centres in the ratio 2 : 1. What is the probability of getting:
i) all strawberry creams
ii) two of each type
iii) at least 2 strawberry creams?

(I can't use the things at the top of the form so I'll write fractions as (x/y) and powers as x^y)

Homework Equations

...well, this is how you do the general binomial expansion:
Tr+1 = (n,r) a^(n-r) b^r

n is the number of terms
r is the term you are at
the r+1 is supposed to be subscript
the n & r in (n,r) (that is the coefficient) are supposed to be one above the other

The Attempt at a Solution

a) is easy: ([2/3]+[1/3])^4 = (2/3)^4 + 4(2/3)^3(1/3) + 6(2/3)^2(1/3)^2 + 4(2/3)(1/3)^3 + (1/3)^4

b) is also mostly easy:
i) (2/3)^4 = (16/81)
ii) 6(2/3)^2(1/3)^2 = (8/27)
Okay. That is 6(4/9)(1/9) and you have canceled a "3" in both numerator and denominator, right?

iii) this one I can't do. The book says the answer is (8/9) but I don't know how they got it. I got (392/729). This is how i got it. The question asks for possibilites of 2 or more of the 2/3 chocolates, so:
(16/81)+ 4(8/27)(1/3)+ 6(4/9)(1/9) = 16/81+ 32/81+ 24/81= 72/81

= (16/81) + (8/27)(4/27) + (24/81)
= (144/729) + (32/729) + (216/729)
= (392/729)
I don't know what I do wrong, but I have a feeling it's in the probability part. There's probably something wrong with how I'm combining the probilities of 2 strawberry, 3 strawbeery & 4 strawberry. Can anyone lend me a hand please? Is there anything more that I need to add?

thanks in advance
-sinisterstuf

Wow thanks. And thanks for the welcome :)

and HallsofIvy is right. It's to get the answer in simplest form.

Ok, so you get the correct answer but there's a part i don't understand. How do you get the 32/81?! I understand that 4(8/27) = 32/81, right? But where does the 1/3 go then? The one that's next to the 4(8/27) to be multiplied with it. Am I just tired or am I just nor getting this?

… it was lost, but now it's found …

sinisterstuf said:
… there's a part i don't understand. How do you get the 32/81?! I understand that 4(8/27) = 32/81, right? But where does the 1/3 go then? The one that's next to the 4(8/27) to be multiplied with it. Am I just tired or am I just nor getting this?

Hi sinisterstuf! :smile:

Yes, you're very tired, or you wouldn't have made all those mistakes at the start.

4(8/27) = 32/27, not 32/81.

The 1/3 wandered away when you dropped off for a few minutes. :wink:

… you take your eye off them for a moment :rolleyes:

Useful tip: in problems like this, the denominators will always be the same … so check each one as you go, and if it's not (in this case) 81, then you know you've made a mistake.

When you're herding fractions, remember …

fractions of a feather flock together! :smile:

Another useful tip: Get some sleep! :zzz:

Hahaha, oh my goodness that's embarrasing, I feel a bit... dumb. But I was so tired, it's my excuse. :P

Thanks for your help!
I'll keep your advice in mind ;)

thanks
-sinisterstuf

Related to Probability problem involving binomial expnasions

What is a binomial expansion and how is it related to probability?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression raised to a power. It is related to probability because it can be used to calculate the probability of certain events occurring in a given number of trials.

What is the general form of a binomial expansion?

The general form of a binomial expansion is (a + b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1)/2)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + b^n, where a and b are constants and n is the power or number of trials.

How do you calculate the probability of a specific outcome using a binomial expansion?

To calculate the probability of a specific outcome, you first need to determine the number of trials (n), the probability of success (p) in each trial, and the number of successes (k) you are interested in. Then, you can use the formula P(k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where (n choose k) = n! / (k!(n-k)!) is the binomial coefficient.

What is the difference between a binomial expansion and a binomial distribution?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical formula, while a binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of different outcomes in a binomial experiment. In other words, a binomial expansion is a tool used to calculate probabilities, while a binomial distribution is a theoretical model that represents the probabilities.

Can a binomial expansion be used for events with more than two outcomes?

No, a binomial expansion is only applicable to events with two possible outcomes (e.g. success or failure, heads or tails). If there are more than two possible outcomes, a different formula, such as the multinomial expansion, must be used to calculate the probabilities.