Where does happiness come from ?

• Thread starter Vance
  • Start date
In summary, happiness is a state of well-being that is dependent on one's physical, mental, and social health. Money can only bring happiness to a certain extent, beyond which it can actually make a person unhappier. True happiness comes from helping others and creating things that bring joy to others. It is not possible to be truly happy alone, as human beings are social creatures who derive happiness from cooperation and connection with others.
Vance
Does it mean that if we laugh, we are happy ?
Can anyone tell me ?

Thanks

Valina

Physics news on Phys.org
Laughter is simply electic pulses from the brain, causing to you laugh. Happiness can be caused by dopamine taking chemicals around the brain.

Atrius said:
Laughter is simply electic pulses from the brain, causing to you laugh. Happiness can be caused by dopamine taking chemicals around the brain.

No truer insight. Why Feynman like to joke.

happiness is when u r satify with something and feel pleasure to it. meets ur will

expscv said:
happiness is when u r satify with something and feel pleasure to it. meets ur will
So, are you satisfied with what what you are doing, your will ?

Vance said:
So, are you satisfied with what what you are doing, your will ?

yeah most of the time, btw i also thinks that happness is defined give out(anything) , share and self-denial

While it sounds corny, for most people, happiness arises from helping those around them. It isn't surprising. Mutual assistance got humans where we are. It makes sense that cooperating is rewarded with a dose of dopamine.

Njorl

Sudies have shown that most people in the US are happiest when they are absolutely absorbed in doing something they like or are proud of, be it music, art, family, research, or sales. The moments when time goes away and you are at one with your activity.

No
Most of the time your laugh is body language, You can be most unhappy at the same time

Happy people usually cry of emotion.

Schulz

Happiness comes from peace? ... and/or ...
Happiness comes from your expectations from being fulfilled?

Laughter comes from pleasure?
Pleasure<>Happiness?

...sum thoughts

expscv said:
yeah most of the time, btw i also thinks that happness is defined give out(anything) , share and self-denial

:smile:
i am glad to hear that from you...

What are your thoughts on this Vance?

Vance said:
Can anyone tell me ?

Thanks

Valina

At least to a certain extent, yes. Laughing, smiling, or singing does cause chemical changes which make a person feel happier (of course, so does a six pack of beer).

I'd say happiness is more of a long-term thing, where you feel pretty good most of the time and all the old cliches apply.

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
Just like selfadjoint said. People feel good about themselves when they spend a lot of time totally absorbed in doing things that make them feel worthwhile.

"Happiness is helping others."
Gee, kill two birds with one stone, here. You get totally absorbed in something that makes you feel good about yourself and the person you're helping will probably say and do things to make you feel pretty good about yourself, too. Like Njorl said - it's only natural that social animals would experience good feelings when they cooperate (by the way, providing a chemical/neurological explanation isn't cynicism - it's still a good thing, regardless of the process)

Aww, the heck with trying to be such a nice philosophical guy. :mad: Happiness can be explained in one sentence:

"Those who laugh at the misfortune of others understand the meaning of life." :biggrin:

Does "existence" have a feeling about existing?

I deeply think this is a fascinating question and I have a very particular theory about this:

Happiness, first and foremost it has to do with the fact that either you are healthy or not. And by healthy I mean the WHO (World Health Organization) http://www.who.int/about/definition/en/ of Health.

The WHO definition of Health states that, quote “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”

So, you can’t be happy if you’re not healthy.

Money doesn’t bring happiness. That’s not completely true, but not in the way you’re thinking. Money can make you reach the level after which you can be happy or not. And that is a level in which you have food, clothes, a home, a job and maybe even a car. And after that, my friend, it’s after you if you’re happy or not. More money WILL NOT make a difference at this level. It can, and most probably will, even make you unhappier.

On this level, you will do things that pleasure you, that give you satisfaction. And what thing are those? Thinks that make other people happier. Let me explain better. You must choose an area where you think you would do better and start creating. Start creating stuff the will make other people happier. On this level, you can choose any profession, but there are ones better than others. Professions like lawyers or politics are worst and professions like writers, painters or musicians are better. They are more rewarding; they create something; they are non-zero-sum jobs. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I feel much more for the death of a great artist (especially if it’s one I like) than for a great politician, but that’s just me.

So, remember to bring good thinks to the world, and to others. Things that will make us happier.

And you will be happier by feeding yourself with the reward of making the others happier. Alone, it simple is not possible.

Do you remember how Tom Hanks created an imaginary friend on the movie “Cast Away”.

Or, even better, do you know that classical joke about a shipwrecked that’s lost on an island with Cindy Crawford? Cindy's fallen madly in love with him, and they're making passionate love morning, noon and night, but he’s not happy. Not until he dresses Cindy with boy’s clothes and finally confesses "Dude! You'll never believe who I'm sleeping with!"

So, you can’t be happy alone.

So, what could you do to make other people happier? (Thus making yourself happier)

1st – Help them reach a level where they could be happier; with money, food or a job.
2nd – Start creating good things. Choose an area where you will do better and go for it!

That’s one of the reasons I created the site http://www.zapfuture.com [Broken]. A place where people could openly discuss ideas for a better Future, Improve Yourself, Improve the Future.

Thanks for reading. :smile:

JAugusto

Last edited by a moderator:
:smile:

Thanks a lot for your answers

I have aquestion for those who said "HELPING PEOPLE WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY":

I need 1 billion dollars, can you lend me ?
I hope you will generously send the money as soon as possible ? Thanks a lot

And your answer is ??

haha i only help ppl when i am able to, and help those who needs to, 1 billion dollar is not what people need, is what people want hehe

expscv said:
haha i only help ppl when i am able to, and help those who needs to, 1 billion dollar is not what people need, is what people want hehe
Oh, well, I need 1 billion dollars, hence i want 1 billion dollars, because i want 1 billion dollars, so I need 1 billion dollars ! :tongue:

Okay, what do you think you can help the people who are in need ? In this case , i am also in need. you don't help because you are unable to help and to be more correctly, you can't help me ! which is also the reason I think most people use to keep themselves away from what they actually don't want to do...So, i have another question for you, can you tell me whether and how you understand the statements "I hate you because I love you" or "My lover stays away from me because he actually loves me so much"...
Soo, how do you explain such statements ?

PS I am really sorry first, my examples would sound freakie, really like flirtous, but I really don't mean it that way, I just want to ask you whether its true or untrue and such and such, that's all, Please don't get me wrong...

Thanks

haha no worries,

i try answer ur question let me think...

"I hate you because I love you"
My lover stays away from me because he actually loves me so much"...

they are a bit different just a bit

i understand how people love a person but hate a person at the same time, becasue
let I =<A> opposite sex = <B>

sowehow for some reason <A> hate <B> in some ways , and [do not want] or shoud not be wtih <B> but had a crash since first! met. A tries to hate <B> so the <A> could get away from <B>. this is very common situation.
(the love is true but the hate is faked by A to just get away from B for some peronal reason)

for "My lover stays away from me because he actually loves me so much

this is true it happens, usually is the first love of the "he"
in this case he can be a shy person to have such action

if he is a friend of urs then there must be something troubles him for be with u, his perosnal problem? or maybe he thinks he is not good enough and there is some people he knew that would be more better to be with u. other wise there is no point get away from u..

any how you should talk to the person should know each other more better
=)

Sounds like a love consultant...
Umm, but that helps because you answer my questions...:)

Happiness comes from the number 0; and so does everything else.

number 0? what's the hideen meaning/?

I also wanted to know why and what is hidden...lol.

1. What is happiness?

Happiness is a positive emotional state characterized by feelings of joy, contentment, and satisfaction.

2. Is happiness a choice?

While circumstances and external factors can certainly impact our level of happiness, it is ultimately a choice that we make. We can choose to focus on the positive aspects of our lives and cultivate happiness, rather than letting negative thoughts and emotions control us.

3. Can money buy happiness?

While having enough money to meet our basic needs can contribute to our happiness, studies have shown that beyond a certain income level, increased wealth does not necessarily lead to increased happiness. Other factors, such as relationships, experiences, and personal fulfillment, have a greater impact on our overall happiness.

4. Are some people just naturally happier than others?

While some people may have a disposition towards being more optimistic and happy, happiness is also influenced by external factors and our own actions. We can cultivate habits and behaviors that promote happiness, such as practicing gratitude and mindfulness.

5. Can happiness be sustained?

Happiness is not a constant state and will naturally fluctuate throughout our lives. However, we can sustain a general sense of happiness by continuously working towards our goals, nurturing relationships, and engaging in activities that bring us joy and fulfillment. It is important to also acknowledge and accept negative emotions as a natural part of life.