Probability of obtaining general quantum measurement outcome

In summary: Therefore, ##p_n## is a real number.In summary, the Fundamental Theorem of Quantum Measurement states that a set of operators describing a measurement on a quantum system must satisfy certain conditions. If a measurement has n possible outcomes, the resulting state of the system and the probability of obtaining each outcome can be calculated using the operators. The probability is a real number, guaranteed by the cyclic property of the trace and the hermiticity of the operator.
Danny Boy
The Fundamental Theorem of Quantum Measurement is stated as follows:
Every set of operators ##\{ A_n \}## ##n =1,...,N## that satisfies ##\sum_n A_n^{\dagger}A_n = I## describes a possible measurement on a quantum system, where the measurement has ##n## possible outcomes labeled by ##n##. If ##\rho## is the state of the system before the measurement and ##\tilde{\rho}_n## is the state of the system upon obtaining measurement result ##n##, and ##p_n## is the probability of obtaining result ##n##, then $$\tilde{\rho}_n = \frac{A_n \rho A_n^{\dagger}}{p_n}~~\text{and}~~p_n = \text{Tr}[A_n^{\dagger}A_n \rho]$$

Question: Since ##p_n = \text{Tr}[A_n^{\dagger}A_n \rho]## represents the probability of obtaining measurement result ##n##, I assume that this is a real number (in the interval ##[0,1]##) rather than complex, but I fail to see how it is guaranteed that this will be a real number. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the basis of eigenstates of the density matrix ##\{|\psi_i \rangle\}## to evaluate the trace. So you only need to show that the ##\langle \psi_i|A^{\dagger}_n A_n|\psi_i \rangle## are real.

Danny Boy said:
Question: Since ##p_n = \text{Tr}[A_n^{\dagger}A_n \rho]## represents the probability of obtaining measurement result ##n##, I assume that this is a real number (in the interval ##[0,1]##) rather than complex, but I fail to see how it is guaranteed that this will be a real number. Am I missing something?
Due to the cyclic property of the trace we have
$$\text{Tr}[A_n^{\dagger}A_n \rho]=\text{Tr}[\frac{A_n^{\dagger}A_n \rho+\rho A_n^{\dagger}A_n}{2}]$$
But the operator on the right-hand side is hermitian, so its trace is real.

Related to Probability of obtaining general quantum measurement outcome

1. What is the probability of obtaining a specific outcome in a quantum measurement?

The probability of obtaining a specific outcome in a quantum measurement is determined by the quantum state of the system and the measurement being performed. It is calculated using the Born rule, which states that the probability of obtaining a particular outcome is equal to the square of the amplitude of that outcome in the quantum state.

2. How does the probability of obtaining a measurement outcome change over time?

The probability of obtaining a measurement outcome can change over time if the quantum state of the system evolves. This evolution is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the quantum state changes over time. As the state changes, the probabilities of different measurement outcomes may also change.

3. Can the probability of obtaining a measurement outcome be greater than 1?

No, the probability of obtaining a measurement outcome cannot be greater than 1. According to the Born rule, the probability is calculated by squaring the amplitude of the outcome, which is always a positive number. Therefore, the probability will always be between 0 and 1.

4. How does the number of possible measurement outcomes affect the probability distribution?

The number of possible measurement outcomes does not affect the probability distribution itself, but it does determine the probabilities of each outcome. For example, if a system has four possible measurement outcomes, then each outcome will have a probability of 1/4, assuming all outcomes are equally likely.

5. How does the observer impact the probability of obtaining a measurement outcome?

The observer does not directly impact the probability of obtaining a measurement outcome. However, the observer's choice of measurement basis can affect the outcome probabilities. In quantum mechanics, the act of measurement causes the quantum state to collapse to one of the possible outcomes, so the observer's choice of measurement can influence which outcome is obtained.