Probability of measuring flavor f_1 for neutrinos with different masses?

In summary, the two questions are asking for the same thing--the probability of a neutrino of given mass and flavor having that mass.
jfy4

Homework Statement

Neutrinos are created in states of one of two possible flavors, [itex]f_1[/itex] or [itex]f_2[/itex]. Each flavor state can be expressed as a linear combination of mass eigenstates with masses [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex]
[tex]
|f_1\rangle = |m_1\rangle a_{11}+|m_2\rangle a_{21}
[/tex]
[tex]
|f_2\rangle = |m_1\rangle a_{12} + |m_2\rangle a_{22}
[/tex]
The unitary matrix [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is called the mixing matrix. The different mass of neutrinos with the same momentum move at different speeds. Eventually the light neutrino ([itex]m_1[/itex]) will outrun the heavier neutrino ([itex]m_2[/itex]). When the lighter neutrino reaches a detector only the flavor can be detected. what is the probability of measuring the flavor [itex]f_1[/itex]? After the flavor [itex]f_1[/itex] is measured and selected, what is the probability that the neutrino continues moving with the lighter mass ([itex]m_1[/itex])?

Homework Equations

[tex]
P=\frac{\langle a|b\rangle\langle b|a\rangle}{\langle a|a\rangle\langle b|b\rangle}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like the two questions are the same... It sounds like to me that a neutrino prepared in a state [itex]|m_1\rangle[/itex] addresses the detector and I want to measure the probability of it being in a state [itex]f_1[/itex]. I interpret this as
[tex]
\begin{align}
P(f_1) &= \langle m_1|f_1\rangle\langle f_1|m_1\rangle \\
&= (a_{11}\langle m_1|m_1\rangle + a_{21}\langle m_1|m_2\rangle)(a_{11}^{\ast}\langle m_1|m_1\rangle + a_{21}^{\ast}\langle m_2|m_1\rangle
\end{align}
[/tex]
Then I assumed that [itex]\langle m_1|m_2\rangle=0[/itex] and [itex]\langle m_1|m_1\rangle=1[/itex] by orthogonality. Then
[tex]
P(f_1)=|a_{11}|^2
[/tex]
The problem is that this seems to me to be the way to answer both questions... Where is my misunderstanding?

Thanks,

PS I know it says this already but please don't tell me the answer, I really want to figure this out on my own, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jfy4 said:
After the flavor [itex]f_1[/itex] is measured and selected, what is the probability that the neutrino continues moving with the lighter mass ([itex]m_1[/itex])?

Perhaps I see it differently...

Is this saying that now the state is [itex]|f_1\rangle[/itex] and we want to know the probability of state [itex]|m_1\rangle[/itex], that is
[tex]
\langle f_1|m_1\rangle\langle m_1|f_1\rangle ?
[/tex]

Thanks,

Yes, that's how I read it as well.

Okay, then I took [itex]f_i=a_{ij}m_j[/itex] and solved for [itex]m_j=a^{-1}_{ij}f_i[/itex]. I then carried out
[tex]
\langle f_1|m_1\rangle\langle m_1|f_1\rangle=\frac{|a_{22}|^2}{|a_{11}a_{22}-a_{12}a_{21}|^2}
[/tex]
but since [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] is unitary that is
[tex]
=|a_{22}|^2
[/tex]

Does that seem correct?

ignore that dross above... I'm still stumped, they seem to be asking for the same probability. To me it sounds like: there is a neutrino of mass [itex]m_1[/itex], what is the probability of it having flavor [itex]f_1[/itex]? Then: There is a neutrino of flavor [itex]f_1[/itex], what is the probability of it having mass [itex]m_1[/itex]? Both of these seem to be [itex]|\langle f_1|m_1\rangle|^2[/itex]...

May I have a hint?

I think that's right, actually.

You think the expressions for those probabilities are both [itex]|\langle f_1 | m_1\rangle|^2[/itex]? Why would someone write a question like that... :confused:?

You'll have to ask your instructor. :wink:

Thanks for all your help vela :smile:

Related to Probability of measuring flavor f_1 for neutrinos with different masses?

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have a very small mass and no electric charge. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and are thought to be produced during nuclear reactions, such as those in the sun.

2. How are neutrinos measured?

Neutrinos are measured using specialized detectors, such as giant tanks filled with liquid or detectors buried deep underground. These detectors are designed to capture the very rare interactions between neutrinos and other particles, allowing scientists to study their properties and behavior.

3. Why are measurements of neutrinos important?

Neutrinos are important because they can provide insight into some of the most fundamental questions about the universe, such as the nature of matter and the origins of the universe. They can also help us understand the processes that occur in extreme environments, such as the center of stars or during high-energy cosmic events.

4. What are some challenges in measuring neutrinos?

One major challenge in measuring neutrinos is their elusive nature. They interact very weakly with other particles, making them difficult to detect. Additionally, neutrinos come in three different types or "flavors" and can change between them as they travel, making it more difficult to accurately measure their properties.

5. How do measurements of neutrinos contribute to scientific advancements?

Measurements of neutrinos have contributed to many scientific advancements, including the discovery of their small but non-zero mass, which has implications for our understanding of the standard model of particle physics. They also provide valuable information about the inner workings of the sun and other stars, and have the potential to help us detect and study the elusive dark matter in the universe.