Probability of losing a certain amount of money to an investment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of meeting a goal of raising $5,000 by buying a stock that costs $100,000 with a record minimum value of $50,000 and a record maximum value of $120,000. The probability of losing money is 85%, but assuming a continuous distribution, the probability of raising any exact amount is zero. The concept of time series is also brought up, where the stock price moves with each tic of the clock. The relevance of the maximum and minimum values is questioned, and it is suggested that the probability of the stock reaching the goal price could be calculated based on the 85% chance of losing money.
moonman239
So, let's say that I plan to buy a stock for $100,000. The record minimum value of the stock is $50,000. The record maximum value is $120,000. The probability of losing money is 85%. My goal with the stock is to raise $5,000, no more no less. Not taking into account how frequently stocks from the same company are sold for that price, what is the probability of meeting this goal?

Physics news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
My goal with the stock is to raise $5,000, no more no less. Not taking into account how frequently stocks from the same company are sold for that price, what is the probability of meeting this goal?
Assuming a continuous distribution, the probability of raising any exact amount is zero.

My goal with the stock is to raise $5,000, no more no less.

Why would any rational investor worry that the stock price closed higher, especially since this stock is so risky?

Maybe you meant $5,000 or more no less. This would also satisfy the requirement that you don't specify an exact price which makes the probability zero. Use a range of prices and the problem will make more sense.

Another thing...stock prices are usually quoted in price per share. I doubt you meant that a share is worth $100,000. Maybe you should state that you plan to buy 10,000 shares at a price of $10 per share.

Not really enough info to go off

Oh, I get it. You've given your broker instructions to sell as soon as the stock's value increases to a value that nets you 5,000 profit. This would be a time series where the stock price moves with each tic of the clock. Right? There should be a greater than zero probability that the stock reaches this price in time. Not sure how to calulate this probability. And why are the max / min values relavent? Does an 85% chance the stock will lose money mean that each tic of the clock there is a 0.85 probability the price will decrease and a 0.15 probability that it will increase? If so then by how much (1% maybe)? I guess if the price reaches zero then the game is over.

Related to Probability of losing a certain amount of money to an investment?

1. What is the probability of losing all of my money in an investment?

The probability of losing all of your money in an investment depends on various factors such as the type of investment, market conditions, and your risk tolerance. It is important to thoroughly research and assess these factors before making any investment decisions.

2. Can probability be used to predict the exact amount of money I will lose in an investment?

No, probability can only provide an estimate of the likelihood of losing a certain amount of money in an investment. It cannot predict the exact amount of money that will be lost.

3. How can I minimize my chances of losing a significant amount of money in an investment?

One way to minimize your chances of losing a significant amount of money in an investment is to diversify your portfolio. This means investing in a variety of assets to spread out your risk. It is also important to carefully research and analyze any potential investments before making a decision.

4. Is there a certain percentage or threshold of money that is considered a "safe" amount to invest?

There is no specific percentage or threshold of money that is considered completely safe to invest. It ultimately depends on your individual financial situation, risk tolerance, and the specific investment opportunity.

5. What are some common strategies for managing the risk of losing money in an investment?

Some common strategies for managing the risk of losing money in an investment include diversification, setting stop-loss orders, and staying informed about market trends and conditions. It is also important to regularly review and adjust your investment strategy as needed.