Probability of finding particle in shifted ground state

In summary: It's the measure of how likely something is.Expand the original wavefunction as a linear sum of the new energy eigenstates.The coefficients of the expansion represent the probability of the new energy eigenstates.The change in time from t<0 to t=0 does not affect the wavefunction in any way.
AegisAndAtrophy

Homework Statement

At t<0 a particle is in the ground state of the potential V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2x^2 [/tex]. At t=0 the potential is suddenly displaced by an amount x0 to V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x-x_0)^2 [/tex] .

a) What is the probability of the particle being in the ground state; the first excited state?
b) At t=[tex] \frac{2pi}{w} [/tex] write the wave function

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the wave function should be [tex] Ψ_0(x,0)= (\frac{mw}{πh})^\frac{1}{4} e^ \frac{-mw(x-x_0)^2}{2h} [/tex]
I'm not sure what I should do though in order to find the probability in the ground state.
For the first excited energy I know I need to use the raising operator in order to get the wave function, which would give me [tex] (\frac{mw}{h})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] times [tex] Ψ_0 [/tex] but again I'm unsure how to find the probability.

Physics news on Phys.org
Express the original state in terms of the new ones.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in order to go about doing that.

The particle still has the same wavefunction after the potential has been changed.
However, that no longer corresponds to an energy eigenstate.
Expand the original wavefunction as a linear sum of the new energy eigenstates.
What do the coefficients of the expansion represent?

So I should expand Ψ =∑CnΨn where |Cn|^2 is the probability of the new energy eigenstate?

Does the change in time from t<0 to t=0 not affect it in any way?

The effect is in the possible outcome of future measurements.

AegisAndAtrophy said:

Homework Statement

At t<0 a particle is in the ground state of the potential V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2x^2 [/tex]. At t=0 the potential is suddenly displaced by an amount x0 to V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x-x_0)^2 [/tex] .

a) What is the probability of the particle being in the ground state; the first excited state?
b) At t=[tex] \frac{2pi}{w} [/tex] write the wave function

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the wave function should be [tex] Ψ_0(x,0)= (\frac{mw}{πh})^\frac{1}{4} e^{-\frac{mw(x-x_0)^2}{2h}}[/tex]
This is the ground state of the system after the potential is displaced. It's not the state of the particle at ##t=0##, which is still in the state
$$\Psi(x,0) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{πh}\right)^\frac{1}{4} e^{-\frac{m\omega x^2}{2h}}.$$ By the way, the frequency is denoted by the Greek letter ##\omega##, not ##w##.

I'm not sure what I should do though in order to find the probability in the ground state.
For the first excited energy I know I need to use the raising operator in order to get the wave function, which would give me [tex] (\frac{mw}{h})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] times [tex] Ψ_0 [/tex] but again I'm unsure how to find the probability.
Look up the definition of the probability amplitude. This is a basic definition you need to know.

Related to Probability of finding particle in shifted ground state

1. What is the concept of "probability of finding particle in shifted ground state"?

The probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state refers to the likelihood of a particle being in a specific energy state after being disturbed from its original ground state. This can occur due to external factors such as temperature or pressure changes.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state calculated?

The probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state is calculated using a mathematical equation known as the Boltzmann distribution. This equation takes into account the energy difference between the original ground state and the shifted ground state, as well as the temperature and other relevant factors.

3. What factors affect the probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state?

The probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state is affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, external fields, and the energy difference between the original and shifted ground states. These factors can alter the energy distribution of particles, leading to a change in their probabilities of being in a specific state.

4. How does the probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state relate to quantum mechanics?

The probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state is a concept derived from quantum mechanics, specifically the principles of energy quantization and wave-particle duality. In quantum mechanics, the state of a particle is described by a wave function, and the probability of finding the particle in a specific state is given by the square of the wave function.

5. Can the probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state be manipulated?

Yes, the probability of finding a particle in a shifted ground state can be manipulated by changing the external factors that affect the energy distribution of particles. For example, by altering the temperature or pressure, it is possible to shift the probabilities of particles being in different energy states, including the ground state.