Conseption for Winged Luner Craft

• Thread starter PlasmaBoy
  • Start date
In summary: Plus they're very loud and smelly.In summary, this idea of using charged particles to create thrust is not feasible because the thrust levels are too low and the propulsion system is very noisy and smelly.
PlasmaBoy
I was reading up on lunar transportation modules and thought of using a fairly conventional helicopter design. I don't think there is much air on the moon so the helicopter could not work in the usual way (creating a differential air pressure between the top and bottom surface of the rotors) but i thought that if you directed the exhause downwards it would stir up the moon dust which would work just like an atmosphere anyway and hence the craft could fly on the moon. I thought this would be especially efficient since there would be less friction than in air and since the gravity on the moon is only 1/10 of that on earth. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
PlasmaBoy said:
I was reading up on lunar transportation modules and thought of using a fairly conventional helicopter design. I don't think there is much air on the moon so the helicopter could not work in the usual way
There is no atmosphere on the moon.
(creating a differential air pressure between the top and bottom surface of the rotors) but i thought that if you directed the exhause downwards it would stir up the moon dust which would work just like an atmosphere anyway and hence the craft could fly on the moon.
But there is NO atmosphere on the moom so there is nothing to stir up the Lunar dust. Unless of course you are speaking about the chemical thrust developed by a standard rocket engine. Why have rotors, then do nothing.
I thought this would be especially efficient since there would be less friction than in air and since the gravity on the moon is only 1/10 of that on earth. Any thoughts?
Lunar gravity is about 1/6 Earth gravity.

Plus the Lunar dust is really statically charged. It gets everywhere. If you threw up enough of it to get in the way, after a few minutes you'd have a nice layer of grit all over the ship's moving parts.

oh yes 1/6th gravity of course how silly of me and yes I did some research and there is no atmosphere, thankyou.
This idea of charged particles intrigues me. What about a jet engine exhausting onto the lunar regolith, kicking up charged particles of dust, and a second engine consisting of a electric coil setting up a magnetic field to propel the charged particles through the motor and downwards thus causing upthrust.

You'll be better off just using a rocket motor (jet engines need external oxygen).

Thrust levels from electric propulsion systems are really low: Less than the weight of a piece of paper. They only are workable solutions for long transits when a slow but continuous force can get you where you're going.

1. What is the concept behind designing winged lunar craft?

The concept behind designing winged lunar craft is to create a spacecraft that can travel and maneuver in the atmosphere of the moon, as well as in the vacuum of space. This allows for more efficient and precise landing and exploration on the moon.

2. How is the winged lunar craft powered?

The winged lunar craft is powered by a combination of rocket engines and solar panels. The rocket engines are used for initial launch and maneuvering in space, while the solar panels provide electricity for continuous operation in the lunar atmosphere.

3. What challenges are faced when designing winged lunar craft?

One of the main challenges in designing winged lunar craft is the extreme temperature differences between the day and night sides of the moon. The craft must be able to withstand these temperature changes and still function properly. Additionally, the craft must be able to withstand the harsh radiation and micrometeoroids present in space.

4. How is the winged lunar craft controlled during flight?

The winged lunar craft is controlled using a combination of sensors, computer systems, and thrusters. The sensors collect data on the craft's position and orientation, which is then processed by the computer systems to adjust the thrusters and maintain control.

5. What are the potential benefits of using winged lunar craft for space exploration?

Using winged lunar craft for space exploration can greatly increase our understanding of the moon and its resources. The craft can also be used for transportation and potentially even habitation on the moon, paving the way for future human missions and colonization. Additionally, the technology and knowledge gained from designing and operating winged lunar craft can also be applied to other space missions and advancements in aerospace engineering.