Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Probability of binary consecutive occurence with unequal probability

cygi1989

Jul 11, 2012
I have been with this to some forums but it didn't help and I was advised to come to this one, so here is the question.

My task is to compute given N - length binary series and P = p(0) and 1-P = p(1) expected number of consecutive occurence of 0 or 1 of k - length.
For example 10011100 has one serie of 1 with length 1 and one serie with length 3,
and also have two series of 0 of length 2.
I know that when the probability of 0 and 1 is equal than
Expected number of series of 0 or 1 of k-lenth in n-length binary numbers is = (n-k+3)/2^(k+2).
But what the case when probability of 0 is for example (0.4) or any another?

Sebastian

Last edited by a moderator:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Re: Probability of binary consecutive occurence with uneqaul probability

In order to clarify the question let's consider an example: if $p(0)=p(1)=\frac{1}{2}$ what is the probability to have a sequence of three ones in a string of four binary symbols?... in this case the possible strings are 1110 and 0111 on a total of 16 strings so that the requested probability is $\displaystyle P=\frac{2}{16}=\frac{1}{8}$...

Is that correct?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

cygi1989

Jul 11, 2012

Yes, it's correct.
Regards to my formula it gives
(4 - 3 + 3 ) / (2^ 5) = 4 / 32 = 1 / 8.
My exact task is to find expected number of series of k - lenth for k = 1 .. 6, with P(1) = 800 / 2007 and N = 2007

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Yes, it's correct.
Regards to my formula it gives
(4 - 3 + 3 ) / (2^ 5) = 4 / 32 = 1 / 8.
My exact task is to find expected number of series of k - lenth for k = 1 .. 6, with P(1) = 800 / 2007 and N = 2007
Does this need to be an exact closed form solution or will an Monte-Carlo estimate be OK?

CB

cygi1989

Jul 11, 2012

Exact result will be better I guess because I have calculated estimation by myself (I run this test for 1000 esembles) and I need to compare my result with expected ones. Anyway, what result will come from Monte Carlo method and how to calculate it?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Exact result will be better I guess because I have calculated estimation by myself (I run this test for 1000 esembles) and I need to compare my result with expected ones. Anyway, what result will come from Monte Carlo method and how to calculate it?
It sounds like you already have a Monte-Carlo estimate (which would be produced by generating random strings of length 2007 and counting run lengths for lengths 1..6 and dividing the totals by 2007).

CB

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

I have been with this to some forums but it didn't help and I was advised to come to this one, so here is the question.

My task is to compute given N - length binary series and P = p(0) and 1-P = p(1) expected number of consecutive occurence of 0 or 1 of k - length.
For example 10011100 has one serie of 1 with length 1 and one serie with length 3,
and also have two series of 0 of length 2.
I know that when the probability of 0 and 1 is equal than
Expected number of series of 0 or 1 of k-lenth in n-length binary numbers is = (n-k+3)/2^(k+2).
But what the case when probability of 0 is for example (0.4) or any another?

Sebastian
Let p the probability of the symbol 1 [and 1-p the probability of the symbol 0...]. A sequence of k consecutive ones is detected if in a string of k+2 symbols the first and the last are 0 and all others are 1. The probability of such a recurrence is...

$\displaystyle P_{k}= p^{k}\ (1-p)^{2}$ (1)

... and because in a sequence of n symbols there are n-k+3 possible subsequence on k+2 symbols, the expected number of k consecutive 1 is...

$\displaystyle E_{n,k}= (n-k+3)\ P_{k}=(n-k+3)\ p^{k}\ (1-p)^{2}$ (2)

For $p=\frac{1}{2}$ we find Your formula...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Let p the probability of the symbol 1 [and 1-p the probability of the symbol 0...]. A sequence of k consecutive ones is detected if in a string of k+2 symbols the first and the last are 0 and all others are 1. The probability of such a recurrence is...

... and because in a sequence of n symbols there are n-k+3 possible subsequence on k+2 symbols, the expected number of k consecutive 1 is...
And are they independent/uncorrelated?

CB

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

And are they independent/uncorrelated?

CB
Is the 'they' related to the symbols, to the strings of k+2 symbols or to something else... please?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012

Is the 'they' related to the symbols, to the strings of k+2 symbols or to something else... please?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
The strings of k+2 symbols.

CB

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

The strings of k+2 symbols.

CB
Very well!... let's suppose to have a sequence of random binary symbols $a_{i}$ and, independently from i, is $P\{a_{i}=1\} = p \implies P\{a_{i}=0\}=1-p$. Now we consider a subsequence of k+2 consecutive symbols $\overrightarrow {a}_{i}= [a_{i},a_{i+1}, ... , a_{i+k+1}]$. Independently from i is...

$\displaystyle P_{i,k}=P\{\overrightarrow {a}_{i}= [0,1, ... . 1, 0]\}= p^{k}\ (1-p)^2$ (1)

... so that, if You observe m subsequences of k+2 consecutive symbols, the expected value of times on which is $\overrightarrow {a}_{i}= [0,1, ... , 1, 0]$ is $m\ P_{i,k}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

cygi1989

Jul 11, 2012

$\displaystyle E_{n,k}= (n-k+3)\ P_{k}=(n-k+3)\ p^{k}\ (1-p)^{2}$ (2)

For $p=\frac{1}{2}$ we find Your formula...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks!