Probability of AND vs. OR: Understanding the difference and formulas

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of AND is more restrictive than the probability of OR. If we have two events A,B then AND requires both events to occur while OR just requires one of them to occur. In a probability problem, if P(A)= 0.2 and P(B)= 0.05 then the probability he will hear his favorite song and it will rain tomorrow is P(A)*P(B)= (0.2)(0.05)= 0.010 or 1%. The probability he will either hear his favorite song or it will rain tomorrow is P(A)+ P(B)- P(A)*P(B)= 0.2+ 0.05- (0.2)(0.05)= 0.
mathdad
Can someone explain in simple terms the difference between the probability of AND and the probability of OR.
Can you provide an example for each? Can you please explain the AND/OR formulas for each probability found in most textbooks?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Can someone explain in simple terms the difference between the probability of AND and the probability of OR.
Can you provide an example for each? Can you please explain the AND/OR formulas for each probability found in most textbooks?

I can try to explain this conceptually.

In basic probability, AND is more restrictive than OR. If we have two events A,B then AND requires both events to occur while OR just requires one of them to occur.

When mathematically using these terms, for OR we usually end up adding two probabilities together, increasing the total probability. When using AND we usually multiply two probabilities, which results in something smaller.

An example could be: A is the event that tomorrow is rainy, B is the event that I hear my favorite song on the radio. Assuming they have nothing to with each other, then A AND B occurring means tomorrow is rainy and I hear my favorite song. Both must occur or this AND isn't true. A OR B occurring means tomorrow is rainy, tomorrow I hear my favorite song, or both happen. Three possibilities and more likely than both happening alone.

Jameson said:
I can try to explain this conceptually.

In basic probability, AND is more restrictive than OR. If we have two events A,B then AND requires both events to occur while OR just requires one of them to occur.

When mathematically using these terms, for OR we usually end up adding two probabilities together, increasing the total probability. When using AND we usually multiply two probabilities, which results in something smaller.

An example could be: A is the event that tomorrow is rainy, B is the event that I hear my favorite song on the radio. Assuming they have nothing to with each other, then A AND B occurring means tomorrow is rainy and I hear my favorite song. Both must occur or this AND isn't true. A OR B occurring means tomorrow is rainy, tomorrow I hear my favorite song, or both happen. Three possibilities and more likely than both happening alone.

Great reply. Can you provide an actual AND/OR problem for each?

He just did: "A is the event that tomorrow is rainy, B is the event that I hear my favorite song on the radio. Assuming they have nothing to with each other, then A AND B occurring means tomorrow is rainy and I hear my favorite song. Both must occur or this AND isn't true. A OR B occurring means tomorrow is rainy, tomorrow I hear my favorite song, or both happen. Three possibilities and more likely than both happening alone."

If you want to make this a probability problem, assume that P(A)= 0.2 (there is a 20% chance that it will rain tomorrow) and P(B)= 0.05 (there is a 5% chance he will hear his favorite song). Then (assuming these are independent events) the probability he will hear his favorite song and it will rain tomorrow is P(A)*P(B)= (0.2)(0.05)= 0.010 or 1%. The probability he will either hear his favorite song or it will rain tomorrow is P(A)+ P(B)- P(A)*P(B)= 0.2+ 0.05- (0.2)(0.05)= 0.25- 0.01= 0.24.

Another way to do this: Imagine 100 such days. In 20% of them, 20, it rains. In 5% of them, 5, he hears his favorite song. One of those days, both happen. So we have 19 days on which it rains but he does not hear his favorite song, 4 days on which he hears his favorite song but it does not rain, and 1 day on which he hears his favorite song and it rains. That is a total of 19+ 4+ 1= 20+ 5- 1= 24 days on which he either hears his favorite song or it rains. That is a probability of 24/100= 0.24 again.

Related to Probability of AND vs. OR: Understanding the difference and formulas

1. What is the difference between the probability of AND and OR?

The probability of AND refers to the likelihood that two or more events will occur simultaneously. This means that both events must happen in order for the overall outcome to occur. On the other hand, the probability of OR refers to the likelihood that at least one of the events will occur. This means that the outcome can be achieved if either event happens.

2. How do you calculate the probability of AND and OR?

The probability of AND is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5 and the probability of event B is 0.2, then the probability of both events occurring simultaneously is 0.5 x 0.2 = 0.1. The probability of OR is calculated by adding the individual probabilities and subtracting the probability of both events occurring. Using the same example, the probability of either event A or event B occurring is 0.5 + 0.2 - 0.1 = 0.6.

3. What is the relationship between the probability of AND and OR?

The probability of OR is always greater than or equal to the probability of AND. This is because the probability of OR includes the probability of both events occurring, while the probability of AND only includes the probability of one specific outcome.

4. How does the addition rule of probability apply to the probability of AND and OR?

The addition rule of probability states that the probability of two mutually exclusive events occurring is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities. This applies to the probability of OR, as the events are not mutually exclusive. However, it does not apply to the probability of AND, as the events must both occur simultaneously.

5. How is the probability of AND and OR used in real life?

The concepts of probability of AND and OR are used in various fields, such as statistics, economics, and science. For example, in a clinical trial, the probability of both a new drug being effective and safe must be considered (probability of AND) before it can be approved for use. In risk assessment, the probability of multiple events occurring (probability of OR) is evaluated to determine the overall likelihood of a potential risk. In everyday life, these concepts can also be applied when making decisions or predicting outcomes.