What are Some Unusual and Controversial Foods People Eat?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know. I'd rather not think about it.In summary, the Disgusting things people eat includes horse meat, processed food, and spam.
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Chinese don't cook weird stuff, you just never seen them before, but when you taste them, is very good... Trust our civilization, 5000 years of history, much longer than most other modern countrys.
I had several very good Chinese friends and their cooking was just out of this world! So tasty! I tried copying what they were doing, but it never came out right :(

So yes, I have been to a lot of authentic chinese restaurants and also to korean and ate weird things over there. How you'd like fish gut soup? Or cow's stomach (really interesting texture), or pig skin, or those chicken feet, pig hooves. My Indian friends would never talk to me anymore if I told them this :P (Hindu vegetarians).

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
I had several very good Chinese friends and their cooking was just out of this world! So tasty! I tried copying what they were doing, but it never came out right :(

So yes, I have been to a lot of authentic chinese restaurants and also to korean and ate weird things over there. How you'd like fish gut soup? Or cow's stomach (really interesting texture), or pig skin, or those chicken feet, pig hooves. My Indian friends would never talk to me anymore if I told them this :P (Hindu vegetarians).
My friend's mom was pure Mexican (spoke english with NO ONE - except me. She LOVED me! ) and she made the BEST menudo (tripe soup) I ever tasted!
Meteor! - is menudo Mexican or do you have a similar soup in Spain? (Do you live in Barcelona? I want to see Barcelona!)
I think that, what it gets down to, is - there is really no such thing as 'disgusting' food. It all depends on what kind of food you are raised on. 'Disgusting' to one person is a 'banquet of delight' to another.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Moni,

You can't eat (2.) blood, or (5.) the bodies of dead animals? That's called vegetarianism. More power to you.

I celebrated 20 years of alcoholic abstinence (one beer - 20 years) last week.

No, we can eat meat of dead animals if that is slaughtered for eating...we can't eat a cow or any animal that is dead itself, I mean without external force :wink:

"alcoholic abstinence" Good :)

Really? More people should do that.. :)

Moni, have you ever heard of people who can't eat anything that grows in the ground? A friend of mine once told me he knew some people like that, it had something to do with their religion/philosophy :)

Yes! I heard of them, many of them I heard there in India but they are rare... how did you know about them?

I know Hindu's don't eat Cow, it's forbidden in their Religion! And from my part I think everybody should be honest in their religious life! And religions actually don't make narrow minded people, they just open the eye of humanity!

Besides, We eat to live, not live to eat! Right? :wink:

:) my Hindu friend has some family friends who had that 'no food out of the ground' philosophy. Actually, most of my Hindu friends were strict vegetarians! My roommate didn't even allow me to cook food when she was at home, and I wasn't allowed to use the microwave at any time if it involved meat :P

I actually never really minded and respected her viewpoint :) she was such a nice lady.. on saturday mornings she would sit down facing east and start humming in prayer for maybe an hour or so, burning insence.. actually she prayed and burned insence everyday, but in the weekends really long. The sari's are so beautifull too, and the red dot.. I must've eaten meat in my previous Hindu life or so, and got punished for it having to live a westerners life :O

When my brother was in South Africa, he was offered monkey heads (not just brains) cooked in their own juices. Needless to say he politley ran away to the nearest steak. I think the idea of eating blood is DISGUSTING, it sounds so manky its unbelievable. Saying that, i eat chorizo and I am not sure if that is a blood sausage.

In my own personal experience, i have eaten alligator steak, and like the dude said before, it does taste of chicken! I have also eaten ostrich, which was interesting. Ooh ooh and octopus tentacles...thats suckers and all!

My grand-dad ate horse in Korea which he said was lovely.

And of course as kids we have eaten worms and bugs and snot and anything lying on the ground. Snot. Now THAT is disgusting!

Oh, I've eaten octopus so many times I don't consider it out of the ordinary :) actually I miss eating it..

:) my Hindu friend has some family friends who had that 'no food out of the ground' philosophy. Actually, most of my Hindu friends were strict vegetarians! My roommate didn't even allow me to cook food when she was at home, and I wasn't allowed to use the microwave at any time if it involved meat :P

I actually never really minded and respected her viewpoint :) she was such a nice lady.. on saturday mornings she would sit down facing east and start humming in prayer for maybe an hour or so, burning insence.. actually she prayed and burned insence everyday, but in the weekends really long. The sari's are so beautifull too, and the red dot.. I must've eaten meat in my previous Hindu life or so, and got punished for it having to live a westerners life :O

Though I'm Muslim but I've many friends who are Hindu!
You may know that in the Muslim world there are two EID! This is one of the most important festival of ours! Besides, Durga Puja, Holi (You may know from Movies) are their fastival! But as we are friends we enjoy both of them...they come to our houses, we go to their houses and enjoy the day with them :) Not only that there are few Christian friends of mine! I've enjoyed X-mas with them :) sing with them when they came out of church! Made fun with Santa! I played my guitar with them at night in the roof of my house!

And about food! They come to our houses and when we offer them our menu they just avoid their forbidden things! Mainly I've found Hindu friends in it, but Chiristian friends had no problem! I don't know actually is there anything forbidden to eat in the Christian Religion?

Why does every sentence have an exclamation point?

Why does every sentence have an exclamation point?

As I don't know anyother ! :wink:

Hey! you are talking about my *typing* not the *topic* in my thread
:frown: [b(]

Originally posted by jimmy p
I think the idea of eating blood is DISGUSTING, it sounds so manky its unbelievable.

true, true

and this one is equally alike

Originally posted by Moni
"alcoholic abstinence" Good :)

and by the way, octopus rulz ans all the other fish / sea food too (well except those poisonous blowfish they put in sushi sometimes )

New que...n new user..lol

Are mushrooms disgusting?
:confused:

What percentage of honey is bee poop?

I dunno, I have never thought to ask. Apparently snake is quite nice to eat.

Some people around here are starting to fry and eat the 17-year cicadas - quite a fast!

Deep fried chicken gizzards.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
Deep fried chicken gizzards.
I love chicken gizzards! Gizzards cooked with rice is soooo good.

Beef intestines.

Or get some Kos Kesh. :) Hehe

Evo said:
I love chicken gizzards! Gizzards cooked with rice is soooo good.
Mom got you to eat a LOT of that disgusting stuff she liked, didn't she? I wouldn't TOUCH anything called a GIZZARD. Sounded too much like lizard. You can have the pickled pigs feet, too. I'll stick with the lobster...

Tsunami said:
Mom got you to eat a LOT of that disgusting stuff she liked, didn't she? I wouldn't TOUCH anything called a GIZZARD. Sounded too much like lizard. You can have the pickled pigs feet, too. I'll stick with the lobster...
Yeah, the only thing Mom ever fed me was gizzards and pickled tripe. :cry: You always got the lobster, and ice cream, and fine dark Belgian chocolate! How many nights did I sit alone in the closet licking the chocolate wrappers you threw on the floor? :cry:

Evo... you forgot by favorite dish, fried lion meat served with tiger skew.