Probability of "2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use

• Thread starter riemann86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary: There is another problem with English in the phrase "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use". In common speech the statement "2 machines are not in use" means exactly 2 machines are not in use. In mathematics, the technical interpretation of "2 machines are not in use" is "at least 2 machines are not in use". Unfortunately, homework problems in math books sometimes use common English and sometimes use mathematical English.
riemann86
Hello

I have not taken a subject in set theory, only in statistics. Maybe you guys can help me, I want to describe one of the events with the other, and I am wondering if one can do it.

Lets say that we have 6 machines, of these 0, 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 of them can be in use. That is, we distingiuish how many are in use, not which particular one we are using.

Now let's say that you want to find the probability that "not 2 or 3 or 4 machines are in use".
If we say that the event A is {2 machines, or 3 machines or 4 machines in use}
then we want to find P(not A) = 1-P(A), this is easy.

Now is the tricky part, look at the event:
"2,3 or 4 machines are not in use". First I thought that this was the same as the first one, but it is actually the same as the event A, because if 2 is not in use, then 4 is in use, and if 3 is not in use then 3 is in use, and if 4 is not in use then 2 is in use.

So we have that "2,3 or 4 in use" = "2,3,4 not in use" and this does not equal " not 2,3,4 in use"

My question is if this can be shown with something deeper, than just going over all the different possibilities? For instance, could we say that the event "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use" is "not not A" and hence it becomes A? Or is it another way to describe "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use" in terms of A, and then reduce this expression so you get to A?

Physics news on Phys.org
riemann86 said:
Hello
Now let's say that you want to find the probability that "not 2 or 3 or 4 machines are in use".

English is ambiguous. It isn't clear whether that phrase means: "(not 2) or 3 or 4" or whether it means "not (2 or 3 or 4)" - i.e. "neither 2 nor 3 nor 4". I assume you're interpreting it as the latter.

Now is the tricky part, look at the event:
"2,3 or 4 machines are not in use". First I thought that this was the same as the first one, but it is actually the same as the event A

What you mean by "the first one" and what do you mean by "event A"?

There is another problem with English in the phrase "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use". In common speech the statement "2 machines are not in use" means exactly 2 machines are not in use. In mathematics, the technical interpretation of "2 machines are not in use" is "at least 2 machines are not in use". Unfortunately, homework problems in math books sometimes use common English and sometimes use mathematical English.
because if 2 is not in use, then 4 is in use, and if 3 is not in use then 3 is in use, and if 4 is not in use then 2 is in use.

That's a correct deduction if "2 not in use" means "exactly 2 are not in use".

My question is if this can be shown with something deeper, than just going over all the different possibilities? For instance, could we say that the event "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use" is "not not A" and hence it becomes A? Or is it another way to describe "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use" in terms of A, and then reduce this expression so you get to A?

I don't think you can do the deduction from simple set theory on a set that has 7 elements. Suppose the set is {a,b,c,d,e,f,g}. If [itex] E [/itex] is an event then you cannot deduce from basic set theory that [itex] d \not \in E [/itex] implies [itex] e \in E [/itex].

Stephen Tashi said:
English is ambiguous. It isn't clear whether that phrase means: "(not 2) or 3 or 4" or whether it means "not (2 or 3 or 4)" - i.e. "neither 2 nor 3 nor 4". I assume you're interpreting it as the latter.

I mean the latter yes.

What you mean by "the first one" and what do you mean by "event A"?

With the first one I meant: "neither 2 nor 3 nor 4"
The event A is the event I defined over I labeled it A, it is "2 or 3 or 4 in use".

There is another problem with English in the phrase "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use". In common speech the statement "2 machines are not in use" means exactly 2 machines are not in use. In mathematics, the technical interpretation of "2 machines are not in use" is "at least 2 machines are not in use". Unfortunately, homework problems in math books sometimes use common English and sometimes use mathematical English.

With "2,3 or 4 machines are not in use" I mean exactly 2 or exactly 3, or exactly 4, not in use.

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't think you can do the deduction from simple set theory on a set that has 7 elements. Suppose the set is {a,b,c,d,e,f,g}. If [itex] E [/itex] is an event then you cannot deduce from basic set theory that [itex] d \not \in E [/itex] implies [itex] e \in E [/itex].

Ok, so there isn't a similar way to describe :

"(exactly 2 or exactly 3 or exactly 4) is not in use"
in terms of "exactly 2, or exactly 3 or exactly 4 is in use"

Like we can describe: "not( exactly 2, or exactly 3 or exactly 4) in use" is the complement of "exactly 2 or exactly 3 or exactly 4 in use"?

But we can say that if a set V contains numbers from 0 to N, that symbolises an exact amount of units active. And another set V2 contains numbers from 0 to N that symbolises an exact amount out of of N units inactive. Then V = V2 if and only if one can find the numbers are so that v = N-v2, for every number v and v2 in V and V2. And it is just a coincidence that this happened in this example?

Last edited:
Maybe it will be clearer what I am struggling with if I use one number instead of three.

Let's redefine the event A to "exactly 1 machine in use".
Then let's define the event B = "not (exactly 1 machine in use)", is well defined as the complement of A.
So if the sample space is S, we have B = S-A.

If we define the event C = "exactly one machine is not in use". We have that 5 machines must be in use.
But can we write C = function of A, the way we wrote B = S-A?

riemann86 said:
But can we write C = function of A, the way we wrote B = S-A?

As I said before, on a set S of 7 arbitrary elements, I don't think you can write any expression using set operations that accomplishes what you want because what you want is not a property of an arbitrary set of 7 elements.

Your set S is {u0, u1,u2,...u6}. The phrase "exactly 2 machines are in use" is simply a name for the element u2. Unless you specify a meaning, the phrase "exactly 2 machines are in not in use" doesn't refer to any particular element of S or subset of S. For example, suppose we had specified that the name of "u2" is "Pink is beautiful". This does not tell us what element of S or what subset of S would be represented by the phrase "not pink is beautiful" or "pink is not beautiful" or "purple is beautiful".

Last edited:

Related to Probability of "2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use

What is the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use"?

The probability of 2,3 or 4 machines not in use refers to the likelihood of having 2, 3 or 4 machines out of a total number of machines being idle at a given time.

How is the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use" calculated?

The "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use" is calculated by dividing the number of ways to have 2, 3 or 4 machines not in use by the total number of possible outcomes.

Why is it important to calculate the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use"?

Calculating the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use" can help businesses or organizations make informed decisions about resource management and scheduling. It can also provide insights into the efficiency of a system.

How does the number of machines impact the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use"?

The number of machines has a direct impact on the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use". As the total number of machines increases, the probability of having 2, 3 or 4 machines not in use decreases.

Can the "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use" be used in other scenarios?

Yes, the concept of "Probability of 2,3 or 4 Machines Not in Use" can be applied to various scenarios such as the probability of having a certain number of employees absent or the probability of a certain number of products being defective in a batch.