Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Probability more than one claim filed?

schinb65

Jan 1, 2013
In modeling the number of claims filed by an individual under an automobile policy
during a three-year period, an actuary makes the simplifying assumption that for all
integers n ≥ 0, $p_n+1 = \frac{1}{5} p_n$ , where $p_n$ represents the probability that the policyholder files $n$ claims during the period.
Under this assumption, what is the probability that a policyholder files more than one
claim during the period?

So my question is the solution which I have attached. How do we go from
$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5}^kp_0$ to the next step $\frac{p_0}{1-\frac{1}{5}}$

Thank you.

Attachments

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Re: Probability more then one claim filed?

In modeling the number of claims filed by an individual under an automobile policy
during a three-year period, an actuary makes the simplifying assumption that for all
integers n ≥ 0, $p_n+1 = \frac{1}{5} p_n$ , where $p_n$ represents the probability that the policyholder files $n$ claims during the period.
Under this assumption, what is the probability that a policyholder files more than one
claim during the period?

So my question is the solution which I have attached. How do we go from
$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5}^kp_0$ to the next step $\frac{p_0}{1-\frac{1}{5}}$

Thank you.
Welcome to MHB, schinb65! :)

What you have is a so called geometric series:

$a+ar+ar^2+ar^3+ar^4+\cdots = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k = \dfrac{a}{1-r}$​

In your case you have $a=p_0$ and $r=\frac 1 5$, so:

$p_0 + \frac 1 5 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^2 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^3 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^4 p_0 + ... = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{5}\right)^k p_0 = \dfrac{p_0}{1-\frac 1 5}$​

(Btw, I suspect you intended $p_{n+1} = \frac{1}{5} p_n$.)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Welcome to MHB, schinb65! :)

What you have is a so called geometric series:

$a+ar+ar^2+ar^3+ar^4+\cdots = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k = \dfrac{a}{1-r}$​

In your case you have $a=p_0$ and $r=\frac 1 5$, so:

$p_0 + \frac 1 5 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^2 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^3 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^4 p_0 + ... = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{5}\right)^k p_0 = \dfrac{p_0}{1-\frac 1 5}$​

(Btw, I suspect you intended $p_{n+1} = \frac{1}{5} p_n$.)
Hi ILikeSerena, :)

I can't spot an error in this but I don't see where you used the fact that we are calculating $P[n>1]$. I would say we need to solve it this way: $P[n>1]=1-P[n=0]-P[n=1]$. Is that what you did in fact?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

Hi ILikeSerena, :)

I can't spot an error in this but I don't see where you used the fact that we are calculating $P[n>1]$. I would say we need to solve it this way: $P[n>1]=1-P[n=0]-P[n=1]$. Is that what you did in fact?
Hi Jameson ;)

The attachment in the OP contains the full solution including what you just mentioned.
I only clarified the step in it that schinb65 asked about.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Hi Jameson ;)

The attachment in the OP contains the full solution including what you just mentioned.
I only clarified the step in it that schinb65 asked about.
(Headbang) Doh! Sorry about that. I just saw the full solution just before reading you reply. I'll try to be more observant in the future, haha. :)