Probability dots and lines problem.

In summary: Antidots are just the remaining dots after 7 dots have been distributed in the 5 subcategories x1...xn. Since there is only 1 way of arranging 7 dots in each category therefore there are 5 'antidots' to be distributed is C(9,4). Is this the right line of thinking?
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

How many solutions are there to the equation

where xn is non negative.

x1+x2+x3+x4+x5=30

where x1,x2,x3,x4,x5<8?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well I thought the only way to ensure this is when the first 7 'dots' are placed, since if all the 'dots' are placed in let's say x1 then by the 8th dot it could also be arranged in x1, hence not satisfying the condition.

ie C(11,4) ... but the sltn says C(9,4).

which I thought was strange; doesn't that sltn imply that xn can ≥8 when the first 5 dots are arranged?

and the only condition on xn is that they are non negative... so they can be zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each [itex]x_n[/itex] can have a maximum of 7 dots. So we can rewrite it as [itex]y_n = 7 - x_n[/itex]. Subbing this into the eqn you will get the answer to be C(9,4)

Bread18 said:
Each [itex]x_n[/itex] can have a maximum of 7 dots.

yeah I get that...

Bread18 said:
we can rewrite it as [itex]y_n = 7 - x_n[/itex]. Subbing this into the eqn you will get the answer to be C(9,4)

into what eqn?

x1+x2+x3+x4+x5=30?

I really don't see how... I thought C(9,4) was the number of ways we can arrange the 'lines'?

if so I really don't see how this solution is correct, since if I throw away the first 23 dots then there are 7 remaining.

now anyway I arrange these will satisfy the condition, where x1,x2,x3,x4,x5<8. would it not?

I know that C(9,4) does satisfy the condition, but so should C(11,4)?

What do you mean by "throw away the first 23 dots"?

Think of it as having 7 dots in each [itex]x_n[/itex] and then place 5 'anti dots' into any of the [itex]x_n[/itex]. This is the same as having [itex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + x_5 = 5[/itex]. (5 'anti dots' and 4 lines).

Bread18 said:
What do you mean by "throw away the first 23 dots"?

Think of it as having 7 dots in each [itex]x_n[/itex] and then place 5 'anti dots' into any of the [itex]x_n[/itex]. This is the same as having [itex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + x_5 = 5[/itex]. (5 'anti dots' and 4 lines).

ohh I think I get it now. so 'antidots' are just the remaining dots after 7 dots have been distributed in the 5 subcategories x1...xn. Since there is only 1 way of arranging 7 dots in each category therefore there are 5 'antidots' to be distributed is C(9,4). Is this the right line of thinking?

Thanks for the help Bread.

Yeah that's right.

Related to Probability dots and lines problem.

1. What is the "probability dots and lines problem"?

The probability dots and lines problem is a mathematical puzzle where a grid of dots and lines is given, and the task is to determine the probability of a line connecting two randomly chosen dots.

2. How do you solve the probability dots and lines problem?

To solve the probability dots and lines problem, you need to count the number of lines and then divide it by the total number of possible connections between the dots. This will give you the probability of a line connecting two random dots.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the probability dots and lines problem?

The key concepts involved in the probability dots and lines problem are combinations, permutations, and probability. Combinations are used to determine the number of possible connections between the dots, permutations are used to calculate the total number of lines, and probability is used to find the likelihood of a line connecting two random dots.

4. Are there any variations of the probability dots and lines problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the probability dots and lines problem, such as the number of dots and lines given, the shape of the grid, and the conditions for connecting the dots with lines. These variations can make the problem more challenging and require different approaches to solve.

5. What real-life applications does the probability dots and lines problem have?

The probability dots and lines problem can be applied in various fields, such as statistics, computer science, and game theory. It can also be used to understand and make predictions in real-life scenarios, such as genetics and social networks.