Magnetism and Magnetic Force Studies

In summary, the discussion centers around the existence of magnetic monopoles and the potential for using a magnetic source instead of electrical parameters in electromagnetic theory. Some suggest that the Faraday tensor and its dual suggest the existence of magnetic monopoles, while others argue that the presence of magnetic fields will always result in an electric component as well. The search for papers using keywords "magnetic monopole" is recommended for further research on the topic.
kheorman
Magnetism and magnetic force are typically explained by the resultant effect on moving charges. Is anyone aware of any reseach, studies or literature that quantifies the interactive forces between two or more magnetic objects without utilizing the effect on moving charges to explain interactive relationships?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that in classically electrodynamics there is a law (one of the four Maxwell's equations) that strictly forbids the existence of magnetic monopoles. Many people interpret this as the non-existence of strictly magnetic sources. This may or may not be true. It seems reasonable

However, the Faraday tensor and its dual provide one with Maxwell's equations, and there is an inconsistency in the divergence of these two related objects, which some think suggests the existence of magnetic monopoles.

What I would do, if I were so inclined, is to search for papers using keywords "magnetic monopole."

I'll try the search. While I am not pursuing magnetic monopoles in my research, I due believe in the existence of strictly magnetic sources. I would like to work like to be able to work without having to deal with electrical parameters and units. My original posting was an effort not to recreate a wheel that may already exist.

In accordance with what Turin posted, do some research on some ideas that Paul Dirac had on what magnetic monopoles would be like if in fact they exist in nature. I think John Wheeler even tried to tie the (also very hypothetical) idea of wormholes in with Dirac's hypothetical monopole.

kheorman said:
I would like to work like to be able to work without having to deal with electrical parameters and units.
If your goal is to be able to use a magnetic source instead of electric currents and such, then I am 99.9% convinced that you are out of luck. The Faraday tensor is intimately driven by the ELECTRIC charge current density 4-vector in the well established/experimentally demonstrated E&M theory. There would be special cases (some magnetostatics) in which you could probably get away with this, but not generally.

Of course, you could "conveniently define" a system of units so that all the parameters are unity, if that's all you're after.

And

I believe it is the case that even if you have a pure magnetic field in some region, as seen by some certain observer, another observer moving relative to that one will see a mixture of magnetic and electric fields.

Janitor said:
I believe it is the case that even if you have a pure magnetic field in some region, as seen by some certain observer, another observer moving relative to that one will see a mixture of magnetic and electric fields.
Yes, but (fortunately for kheorman) this does not require a source. This is just a consequence of a coordinate transformation that results in the appearance of nontrivial oblique components in the dual of the Faraday tensor.

1. What is magnetism and how does it work?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that describes the attractive or repulsive force between objects with magnetic fields. It is caused by the motion of electric charges, such as electrons. The strength of a magnetic force depends on the distance between the objects and the strength of their magnetic fields.

2. How are magnets created?

Magnets are created when certain materials, such as iron or nickel, are exposed to a strong magnetic field. The atoms in these materials align their magnetic fields in the same direction, creating a larger magnetic field that can attract or repel other objects.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that has a constant magnetic field and can retain its magnetism without an external magnetic field. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a wire, which generates a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How does magnetism affect everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical applications in everyday life. Magnets are used in speakers, motors, and generators, which are essential components in many electronic devices. Magnetic fields are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, to produce detailed images of the body.

5. Can magnetism be harmful to humans?

In general, the magnetic fields found in everyday objects and environments are not harmful to humans. However, exposure to very strong magnetic fields, such as those found in medical or industrial settings, can have adverse effects on the body. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to strong magnetic fields.