Probability distribution plots

In summary, the speaker's lecturer assigned them to draw a p.d curve for Ψ, Ψr2, and r2Ψ versus r for Ψ2s and Ψ2p orbitals. The speaker is unsure of the assignment and is seeking clarification. They have since received help with the solutions.
kenyanchemist
hi, so my lecturer decides to give me manic depression by sending me on a wild goose chase. what is the general form of a plot of Ψ, Ψr2 and r2Ψ versus r for both Ψ2s and Ψ2p orbital... am not even sure i said it right

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why this would make you depressed. Presumably he also derived an explicit expression for those wavefunctions?

(In any case, you should probably clarify exactly what your lecturer wants -- in writing -- since otherwise it's hard to help you.)

Likes kenyanchemist and bhobba
strangerep said:
(In any case, you should probably clarify exactly what your lecturer wants -- in writing -- since otherwise it's hard to help you.)

After which its likely better in the homework help section.

Thanks
Bill

Likes kenyanchemist
Thanks. Guys

Strangerep he needs me to draw the p.d curve... to the best of my knowledge i only know if psi squared r squared versus r

kenyanchemist said:
Strangerep he needs me to draw the p.d curve... [...]
!? I "need to"?? Hmm, we're not here to do your work for you. Bye.

No... i meant the lecturer did... but I've followed your advice and gotten the solutions... thanks

strangerep said:
!? I "need to"?? Hmm, we're not here to do your work for you. Bye.

Related to Probability distribution plots

1. What is a probability distribution plot?

A probability distribution plot is a graphical representation of the probability distribution of a set of data. It shows the probability of different outcomes occurring for a given variable.

2. How do you interpret a probability distribution plot?

The height of the bars on the plot represents the probability of a particular outcome occurring. The area under the entire curve is equal to 1, representing the total probability of all outcomes. The shape of the curve can indicate the type of probability distribution, such as normal, uniform, or skewed.

3. What is the difference between a probability distribution plot and a histogram?

A histogram is a graphical representation of the frequency or count of values within a set of data, while a probability distribution plot shows the probability of those values occurring. A histogram displays the actual values, while a probability distribution plot displays the probability of those values occurring.

4. What are the main types of probability distribution plots?

The main types of probability distribution plots include the normal distribution, which is symmetrical and bell-shaped, the uniform distribution, which has a constant probability for all outcomes, and the skewed distribution, which is asymmetrical and has a longer tail on one side.

5. How are probability distribution plots used in science?

Probability distribution plots are used in science to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. They are commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and psychology to understand and model various phenomena.