Probability density of a needle

In summary: No, you can't! This statement that the needle is equally likely to come to rest at any angle is all that you know about the probability distribution. If you don't know that, then you don't know anything.
user3
A needle on a broken car speedometer is free to swing and bounces perfectly off the pins at either end, so if you give it a flick it is equally likely to come at rest at any angle between 0 and pi. If the needle has a length r, what's the probability density ρ(x) of the x-coordinate of the needle point - the projection of the needle on the horizontal line?

Answer: 1/(pi r sin(theta) ) = 1/(pi r √(1-(x/r)^2 ) )
I can't see why the answer is not simply 1/2r. The shadow of the tip of the needle is equally likely to be seen at any point from -r to r

Physics news on Phys.org
user3 said:
A needle on a broken car speedometer is free to swing and bounces perfectly off the pins at either end, so if you give it a flick it is equally likely to come at rest at any angle between 0 and pi. If the needle has a length r, what's the probability density ρ(x) of the x-coordinate of the needle point - the projection of the needle on the horizontal line?

I can't see why the answer is not simply 1/2r. The shadow of the tip of the needle is equally likely to be seen at any point from -r to r

That is just an opinion, and it's wrong. It's more likely to be seen near the ends. It's equally likely to appear anywhere on the semicircle descibing the dial. It's x coordinate is more likely to be near the ends, since the semicircle has more length near the ends than it does in the middle.

Last edited:
Ok, could you please tell how to attack problems such as these effectively ?

user3 said:

Work it out from first principles. Don't "guess". Probability---especially---is one of those subjects in which untrained intuition is often wrong.

Likes 1 person
I found this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372696

I Understand what he's doing. He took the same approach as the textbook by first finding rho of theta, but is there an approach where you don't have to do that? I would like to find rho of x directly.

I don't much like the way this problem is stated. The one "firm" piece of information you are given is that "it is equally likely to come at rest at any angle between 0 and pi". But then you are asked "what's the probability density ρ(x) of the x-coordinate of the needle point?" which makes no sense. There is NO "x- coordinate" on a speedometer! Even the explanation, "the projection of the needle on the horizontal line" is ambiguous. Are we to take "0" at the center point, the pivot for the needle or at the left end?

Assuming we are to take the 0 point at the center, just because that is simplest, then the horizontal line is the "near side" of a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex], the angle the needle makes with the horizontal, and hypotenuse of length r. The length of that horizontal is [itex]r cos(\theta)[/itex]. Further since that angle is "equally likely" to be anywhere between 0 and [itex]\pi[itex], its probability density is [itex]d\theta= (1/\pi)dt[/itex]. Now with [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dx= -r sin(\theta)d\theta= -(r/\pi) sin(\theta) dt[/itex]. From [itex]d\theta= (1/\pi)dt[/itex] we get [itex]dx= -(r/\pi) sin(t/\pi)dt[/itex].

user3 said:
I am sorry. here's the full problm statement. Now please tell me if we can deduce rho of x directly without having to use rho of theta ! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372696

No, you can't! This statement that the needle is equally likely to come to rest at any angle is all that you know about the probability distribution. If you don't know that, then you don't know anything.

Likes 1 person
user3 said:
I am sorry. here's the full problm statement. Now please tell me if we can deduce rho of x directly without having to use rho of theta ! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372696

You want something that is not possible! What you know is that there is a relationship of the form ##X = h(\Theta)## between the random variable ##X## = horizontal location of needle's point and ##\Theta## = angle of needle. You are told the probability distribution of ##\Theta##, and you can figure out the function ##h##. From that you can deduce the probability distribution of the random variable ##X##. This is a standard "change of variable" problem in probability, and it is, basically, the only way to do the question.

Likes 1 person
Thank you all. I guess my problem was that I thought calculating probability density depended mainly on intuition.

Intuition will only get you so far!

user3 said:
Thank you all. I guess my problem was that I thought calculating probability density depended mainly on intuition.

Probability is the area in which "intuition" has led more professional mathematicians astray than any other subject. Intuition can be dangerous until you have built up a solid encyclopedia of facts about the field---in other words, until you have 'trained' your intuition.

Related to Probability density of a needle

What is the probability density of a needle?

The probability density of a needle is a mathematical concept used to describe the likelihood of a needle landing on a certain point on a surface when dropped randomly. It is represented by a continuous function that assigns a probability to each possible outcome.

How is the probability density of a needle calculated?

The probability density of a needle is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes by the total number of outcomes. For example, if a needle is dropped randomly on a surface with 10 possible outcomes and it lands on a specific point 3 times, the probability density for that point would be 3/10 or 0.3.

What is the relationship between probability density and probability?

Probability density and probability are closely related concepts. Probability density is the probability per unit of measurement, while probability is the overall likelihood of a specific outcome occurring. In other words, probability density provides a more detailed description of the probability of a particular event.

What factors can affect the probability density of a needle?

The probability density of a needle can be affected by several factors including the shape and size of the needle, the surface it is being dropped on, and any external forces acting on the needle. These factors can change the distribution of possible outcomes and therefore alter the probability density.

Why is the concept of probability density important in science?

The concept of probability density is important in science because it allows us to quantify the likelihood of a specific event or outcome. This is essential in fields such as physics, where predicting the probability of certain events is crucial in understanding and explaining natural phenomena. It also allows for more accurate and precise calculations and analysis in various scientific studies.