Two Dimensional Motion Projectile

In summary: Originally posted by SSVicious It's an introductory physics class that only covers 1 dimensional motion, 2 dimensional motion, and circular motion. They are doing 2 dimensional motion. It is a simple physics course, but alas I do not remember how to do the stuff. Here is a drawing attached to this post.Sorry for the crude diagram. Please help!more information concerning the level of the class and available mathematical tools would help bring meaningfull responses.
SSVicious
Hi. I haven't done physics for over a year and a half now, but my friend is taking the class. He asked for my help, but I really didn't know how to help him. Here are the questions...

1) Show how Delta y = (1/2)* (tan theta) * delta x
and why Delta y= (1/2) * delta y prime

2) Show why delta x is maximized for a given velocity when theta is equal to 45 degrees.

This is two dimensional motion. Here is the diagram:

Delta y Prime
| /\
| / \
| / \
| / \
| / \
| / \
|/ \
|-------------------------------
Delta X

The projectile motion is a line going from the beginning of the triangle, to the center of it, to the end of it. Delta Y is in the middle of Delta y prime and the middle of the triangle.

Sorry for the crude diagram. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
more information concerning the level of the class and available mathematical tools would help bring meaningfull responses.

Are there any other assumed equations not given in the problem? For example some expression for y?

It's an introductory physics class that only covers 1 dimensional motion, 2 dimensional motion, and circular motion. They are doing 2 dimensional motion. It is a simple physics course, but alas I do not remember how to do the stuff. Here is a drawing attached to this post.

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 443
There, I posted an image of it.

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Originally posted by SSVicious
I'll have to think about this.

2) Show why delta x is maximized for a given velocity when theta is equal to 45 degrees.

It took me half a page of paper to show this lol. My writing on paper is correct but I may make a few errors typing it out.

First make a big formula for distance then take the derivative with respect to theta.

delta x:

[tex]x = V_xt[/tex]

[tex]x = Vcos(\theta)t[/tex]

now find what t is
vertical velocity, when the object is at vertical maximum:

[tex]V_{yf} = V_{yi} + \frac{at}{2}[/tex]

[tex]0 = Vsin(\theta) + \frac{at}{2}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{2Vsin(\theta)}{a}[/tex]

now fill that into the previous equation

[tex]x = Vcos(\theta)(\frac{2Vsin(\theta)}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{2V^2sin(\thetea)cos(\theta)}{a}[/tex]

[tex]x = [\frac{2V^2}{a}] [sin(\theta)cos(\theta)][/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{d \theta} = [\frac{2V^2}{a}] [cos(\theta)cos(\theta) + (-sin(\theta))sin(\theta)] = 0[/tex]

As long as the object was thrown and the Earth has gravity, 2v^2/a will never be 0 so we can just ignore it completely.

[tex]0 = cos^2(\theta) - sin^2(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]0 = cos^2(\theta) - (1 - cos^2(\theta))[/tex]

[tex]0 = cos^2(\theta) - 1 + cos^2(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]2cos^2(\theta) = 1[/tex]

[tex]cos^2(\theta) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]cos(\theta) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = 45[/tex] degrees

Last edited:
Wow, that was a lot. But extremely helpful. Thanks for help on question 2.

Can you explain a little more in depth what the difference between Y and Y prime is? Y prime is the top and Y is half of that or something?

Originally posted by SSVicious

First expand the formula to look for anything familiar

[tex]Y = \frac{sin(\theta)X}{2cos(\theta)}[/tex]

One thing I notice is X/cos(theta). That is the same as the object's trajectory which I will call R.
Another thing is that bringing the sine to the other side will create another R

[tex]\frac{Y}{sin(\theta)} = \frac{R}{2}[/tex]

[tex]R = \frac{R}{2}[/tex]

If Y is actually supposed to have half of Y prime (which I used in the equation), that would make the equation work.

Last edited:
all i know is that y prime is the derivative of y.

Ok then...

When you say delta Y do you mean Y or do you mean dY like it's a differential?

delta y as in the change of y, not the derivative.

1. What is two dimensional motion projectile?

Two dimensional motion projectile is the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically in the form of a curved path, caused by the force of gravity. It is also known as projectile motion and can be described using equations and principles of physics.

2. What are the factors that affect two dimensional motion projectile?

The factors that affect two dimensional motion projectile include the initial velocity, angle of projection, and air resistance. These factors determine the trajectory and range of the object's motion.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, specifically the horizontal and vertical displacement equations. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and time to calculate the position of the projectile at any given time.

4. How does air resistance affect two dimensional motion projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect two dimensional motion projectile by slowing down the object's velocity and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and increases with the speed of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of two dimensional motion projectile?

Some real-life examples of two dimensional motion projectile include a baseball being thrown, a basketball being shot, and a cannonball being fired. These objects all follow a curved path due to the force of gravity and can be described using equations of motion.