Probability and standard deviation Question

In summary: But once I fixed that, I got the correct answer. In summary, the business owner who makes jars with weights that follow a normal distribution with a standard deviation of 8 pounds wants to know the probability that the sample mean will differ from the population mean by no more than 1 pound. By using the formula ##z=\frac{x-\bar{x}}{\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}},## and correcting the arithmetic, the probability was calculated to be 0.1232.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A business owner makes jars with weights that follow a normal distribution with a standard deviation of 8 pounds. In a random sample of 64 jars what is the probability that the sample mean differs from the population mean by no more than 1 pound?

Homework Equations

##z=\frac{x-\bar{x}}{\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

n=64
##\sigma##=8
mean=##b##
##z_{2}=\frac{(b+1)-b}{\frac{8}{\sqrt{64}}}=0.125##
##z_{1}=\frac{(b-1)-b}{\frac{8}{\sqrt{64}}}=-0.125##
##P(-0.125<z<0.125)=P(z<0.125)-P(z<-0.125)=0.1232##
Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here but this is not even close to the correct answer.
Edit: Well this is really embarrassing I did the actual arithmetic wrong lol its 1/1 and -1/1 not 1/8 and -1/8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

A business owner makes jars with weights that follow a normal distribution with a standard deviation of 8 pounds. In a random sample of 64 jars what is the probability that the sample mean differs from the population mean by no more than 1 pound?

Homework Equations

##z=\frac{x-\bar{x}}{\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

n=64
##\sigma##=8
mean=##b##
##z_{2}=\frac{(b+1)-b}{\frac{8}{\sqrt{64}}}=0.125##
##z_{1}=\frac{(b-1)-b}{\frac{8}{\sqrt{64}}}=-0.125##
##P(-0.125<z<0.125)=P(z<0.125)-P(z<-0.125)=0.1232##
Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here but this is not even close to the correct answer.
Edit: Well this is really embarrassing I did the actual arithmetic wrong lol its 1/1 and -1/1 not 1/8 and -1/8
So you have been able to figure this out?

Mark44 said:
So you have been able to figure this out?
Yea I just messed up the arithmetic so that was giving me the wrong Z values.

Related to Probability and standard deviation Question

1. What is Probability?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is Probability calculated?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a fair six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6 or approximately 0.167.

3. What is Standard Deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its average value. It is calculated by finding the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

4. How is Standard Deviation helpful in analyzing data?

Standard deviation allows us to understand the variability within a set of data. It helps us to determine how much the data points deviate from the mean and can be used to compare different data sets.

5. What is the relationship between Probability and Standard Deviation?

The standard deviation of a set of data can provide information about the likelihood of certain events occurring. When a data set has a low standard deviation, the data points are closer to the mean, indicating a higher probability of occurrence. Conversely, a higher standard deviation means that the data points are more spread out, indicating a lower probability of occurrence.