, rWhat is the background of our forum members?

• Thread starter Moni
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation reveals that the participants in the forum come from a diverse range of backgrounds, including physics, pure science, engineering, social sciences, and computer science. Some have pursued higher education in their respective fields while others have found success in different careers. Many share a passion for theoretical physics and have been interested in the subject for many years.

Who Are You ???

• Physics Professor (teacher)/PhD student

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Physics student (Major taken Physics, I mean B.Sc. in Physics)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Pure Science Student (Other than Physics: Mathematics, Chemistry)

• Engineering Student (I know Engg. Students take a little physics course)

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Science Student (Mostly: Life Science)

• Students of Social Sciences

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Professionals but was students of Science

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Professionals but was students except Science

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Moni
Who Are You ?

This is just my curiosity, that there are many people in this forum (member & guests) but I want to know, from what sectors they are coming here!

1) Physics Professor/PhD student
2) Physics student (Major taken Physics, I mean B.Sc. in Physics)
3) Pure Science Student (Other than Physics: Mathematics, Chemistry)
4) Engineering Student (I know Engg. Students read a little physics)
5) Science Student (Mostly Life Science)
6) Students of Social Sciences
7) Professionals but was students of Science
8) Professionals but was students of other subjects except science

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a master's degree in physics, but work now for social concerns.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I have a master's degree in physics, but work now for social concerns.

Hmm...in social concerns do you apply your physics knowledge?

From my part, I always thinking that one should do what he/she has studied for long days :)

I'm a pure science student studying pure math, physics and chemistry. I'll be a university student in September. I'll either pursue in medical field to become a doctor(brain surgeon) or in maths/physics stream to become a scientist or a mathematician.

Life Sciences for me. I am not sure what the difference is between a pure science student and a science student??

Originally posted by Monique
Life Sciences for me. I am not sure what the difference is between a pure science student and a science student??

bottled water vs tap?

Returned to school, masters in physics~biophysics, currently working as computer 3d artist in technical/science fields.

If I could redo, would go back and concentrate on biochemistry, but ah, too old!

Shelley

Last edited:
I do the exact same job as a Mechanical Engineer, but I can't call myself one because I don't have a degree or certificate. I am currently enrolled and taking courses as an engineering major to get my degree.

I am a Computer Science Major. Soon to be doing a double major in Computer Science and Pure Mathematics. Its going to be a blast

Moni,

Your trailer should read: Heisenberg says 'No, but I know where I was.'

I study physics at work when I can sneak onto the office computer for a rare glimpse at Physics Forums.

I'm in my last year undergraduate, doing both physics & mathematics.
It's exam time soon, so needless to say I'm suffering :frown:

I have BS Degrees in both Math and Physics. I have worked as a Technician and as a production engineer and an R&D Engineer. Currently am a Technician.

I'm a middle-aged freelance legal transcriptionist with specialty in court steno but also certified by the U.S. federal courts to transcribe taped trials. In litigation support, I specialize in technical testimony from experts, ranging in subject from patent law to metallurgy to asbestosis.

I was also an export horticulturist for ten years (five years self-employed), operating out of Honolulu, Hawaii and specializing in extreme exotic foliage with a focus on palm species.

My only hobby is motocross. My introduction to theoretical physics started with an overnight discussion about the concepts of Flatland, back in the '70s, with a fellow from the GE satellite logistical team (he plotted orbit data, etc.), and I've been going down this road ever since.

No metriculation to speak of.

I am an aprentice for Mercedes Benz, studying towards my BTECH National certificate level 3. I also have the option of studying engineering at University after the aprenticeship is completed, all paid for by Mercedes Benz.

I've been out of school for a while doing the mommy thing but will be returning to study Ecology in the fall. I'm pretty excited.

Originally posted by KLscilevothma
I'm a pure science student studying pure math, physics and chemistry. I'll be a university student in September. I'll either pursue in medical field to become a doctor(brain surgeon) or in maths/physics stream to become a scientist or a mathematician.

Aha! Now again I first found some one who is both interested in Medical Science and Pure Science :(

I've got a chance to choose between Medical and Engg. I chose Engg.
But still I am not sure :( Done RIGHT or WRONG [b(]

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Moni,

Your trailer should read: Heisenberg says 'No, but I know where I was.'

I study physics at work when I can sneak onto the office computer for a rare glimpse at Physics Forums.

Aha! Fixed! Madam :smile:

Originally posted by HeyCharley
I'm a middle-aged freelance legal transcriptionist with specialty in court steno but also certified by the U.S. federal courts to transcribe taped trials. In litigation support, I specialize in technical testimony from experts, ranging in subject from patent law to metallurgy to asbestosis.

I was also an export horticulturist for ten years (five years self-employed), operating out of Honolulu, Hawaii and specializing in extreme exotic foliage with a focus on palm species.

My only hobby is motocross. My introduction to theoretical physics started with an overnight discussion about the concepts of Flatland, back in the '70s, with a fellow from the GE satellite logistical team (he plotted orbit data, etc.), and I've been going down this road ever since.

No metriculation to speak of.

You are the Most Experienced person I've met in the PF- Charley! Besides from your concept about "Digital and Analog" I think your thinking is very interesting ! :smile:

Originally posted by shetland
bottled water vs tap?

Ha..ha.. May be you're correct :wink:

In our country,

Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry - these 3 subjects are in PURE SCIENCE
Section and others like, Zoology, Botany, Medical Science...these are in simple science section or Biology section!

Originally posted by Integral
I have BS Degrees in both Math and Physics. I have worked as a Technician and as a production engineer and an R&D Engineer. Currently am a Technician.

Ooooooohh! Want to marry me? Technical men are so HOT! *rrrrrhh*
Brrr.. goosebumps...

Originally posted by Thallium
Ooooooohh! Want to marry me? Technical men are so HOT! *rrrrrhh*
Brrr.. goosebumps...

I am a technical man too
I mean still student but soon will be a technician of Chair, Table, Window, Door

But I am not that CUTE :frown:

Originally posted by Moni
I am a technical man too
I mean still student but soon will be a technician of Chair, Table, Window, Door

But I am not that CUTE :frown:
YES, YOU ARE! :wink:

Every year in school (beginning at age 5) we would be asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. I always answered that I wanted to be a mad scientist, working in my laBORaTORy. They always looked at me oddly and went on to the next kid that wanted to be a fireman.

My dad wouldn't let me go into science...

So, now I design high speed data & IP networks inside that mysterious "cloud" that your data goes into where "magic" happens (at least this seems to be what most of the IT staff for the large companies I deal with seem to comprehend it as).

I get to travel & meet fascinating people. I get invited by companies to do presentations on data at annual members meetings. I even had one company fly me to Las Vegas to speak at their annual shareholders convention.

Still, I want to get back to my first love of science...

Originally posted by Evo
Every year in school (beginning at age 5) we would be asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. I always answered that I wanted to be a mad scientist, working in my laBORaTORy. They always looked at me oddly and went on to the next kid that wanted to be a fireman.

So, now I design high speed data & IP networks inside that mysterious "cloud" that your data goes into where "magic" happens (at least this seems to be what most of the IT staff for the large companies I deal with seem to comprehend it as).

I get to travel & meet fascinating people. I get invited by companies to do presentations on data at annual members meetings. I even had one company fly me to Las Vegas to speak at their annual shareholders convention.

Then do it!

I originally received a BS in physics, back in ...um...the eighties

Now I've returned to get my masters, maybe even stay on a bit longer, but in any case, switch fields from animation back to physics, all at the ripe old age of 43. So there...if you really have a dream..you are the only one that can make it happen. Good luck.

shelley

Originally posted by Evo

What's holding you back?

Originally posted by Evo

Your story touched me once again Evo! (You told me about your father's preferences and about income of the science people)

And about your school experience: I am in the same side with you :)
Once I told my teacher, "Sir, I want to become that human who first discovers the THEORY OF EVERYTHING !"

Ha..ha..ha.. They laughed then...and now I laugh

Originally posted by Tsunami
What's holding you back?
Time.

I'm caught in that rut (expensive house, expensive daughter, idiot compulsive spending ex husband) and my current job has no "hours". Although I have the luxury of being able to work at home and only wander into the office when I need to, I work 16+ hours per day, and 7 days a week.

I'm hoping to change lifestyles after my daughter is off on her own. I don't think that you can ever be too old to pursue your interests.

Your story touched me once again Evo! (You told me about your father's preferences and about income of the science people)

And about your school experience: I am in the same side with you :)
Once I told my teacher, "Sir, I want to become that human who first discovers the THEORY OF EVERYTHING !"

Ha..ha..ha.. They laughed then...and now I laugh
Hey Moni! Yes, I do believe you will be the one!

Originally posted by shetland
I originally received a BS in physics, back in ...um...the eighties

Now I've returned to get my masters, maybe even stay on a bit longer, but in any case, switch fields from animation back to physics, all at the ripe old age of 43. So there...if you really have a dream..you are the only one that can make it happen. Good luck.

shelley
Excellent! I still try to keep up with my interests in science, that's how I found this forum and was impressed by the knowledge and camaraderie here.

wow! its seems like most of the people who have replied are in uni or past..

Well...im in gr.12 of high school...took all the sciences all the maths, even comp programming...next year I am going to UNI and taking bio/ health sci to later become maybe a doc? or go into genetics...

Still very confused

Originally posted by Evo
Hey Moni! Yes, I do believe you will be the one!

Yes! Mam! I know I am far from it now! That was a dream of a school boy who heard the stories of Einstein and the Queen, Galileo Galilei's fake trial! and saw day dreams ha..ha...

But yeah! I got one formula of everything:

Love all with all your good qualities and sacrifice to become happy and enjoy the life

Originally posted by Tsunami
Thallium! Why don't you say what you REALLY mean!

He's really cute, too! Wanna see a picture?
He posted them for us. Click on his links in his post on this page:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=123474#post123474

I said what I meant, Tsunami. I had never seen that picture of Integral. Don't care about it either. Vute or not, techicians are mmmmmmmmmmm!

And hey ye Moni! Technical too? Aahaa! I'm sure you are cute! Either way that is not what I fall for. Also.. I have an eye for pathologists and geologists... :smile:

Originally posted by Thallium
I said what I meant, Tsunami. I had never seen that picture of Integral. Don't care about it either. Vute or not, techicians are mmmmmmmmmmm!

And hey ye Moni! Technical too? Aahaa! I'm sure you are cute! Either way that is not what I fall for. Also.. I have an eye for pathologists and geologists... :smile:

Cute! Hmm...not physically but mentally you may say :wink:

Keep your eyes open :) and watch they don't get blind :wink:

And I usally like the internal beauty of mind! of course Eyes but that should see beyond skull :wink:

Cute! Hmm...not physically but mentally you may say :wink:

Keep your eyes open :) and watch they don't get blind :wink:

And I usally like the internal beauty of mind! of course Eyes but that should see beyond skull :wink:

Hehe. I agree with you, but I cannot say I would go as far as falling in love with the person's brain. Brains are fascinating, but not.. kissable...

Hey can you show me a picture of yourself? (You are mentally cute, yes!)