Is Pat Robertson's View on Prayer in School Inconsistent?

• News
  • Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meter
In summary, there is a conversation about Pat Robertson's surprising agreement with a decision made by the American Civil Liberties Union regarding religious freedom in schools. Some people are skeptical of Robertson's motives, while others see it as a positive development. However, it is noted that Robertson has a history of controversial and extreme views.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the first time in my life, I actually agree with Pat Robertson...

Looks like I need a new reality meter also...

http://www.au.org/press/pr030318.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh, hypocrisy headache.

I was suprised to hear that Tariq Aziz, the former foreign minister and now deputy prime minister, is actually a Christian.

Njorl

Originally posted by russ_watters
Ugh, hypocrisy headache.

i think of it as people coming to understand their faults, it is much more pleasant to see when you look at it that way. ;)

i think it is a great think that i have been privileged to see the day were i can say; go Pat Robertson!

granted, it does still feel rather odd.

Of all people, who would of thought it would be Pat Robertson to provide the "shock and awe"!

Pat's a liar, a rogue, and a lousy role model. You just get the impression that he wants to ensure that he can get his hands on some new converts...and more fat cash!

Originally posted by Zero
Pat's a liar, a rogue, and a lousy role model. You just get the impression that he wants to ensure that he can get his hands on some new converts...and more fat cash!

I agree with all of the above, but I think this particular instance is a bad example. Though I've never closely followed the exploits of Mr. Robertson, AFAIK, Pat has always favoured "seperation of church and state" as the Constitution actually prescribes it (that is, the government shall not tell the people what to believe). The use of the phrase "Startling turnabout" is completely incorrect, in this case.

So when the government in America tries to outlaw prayer in public schools he protests, and when the government in Iraq tries to make prayer manditory, or allow prayer but legislate that it must be a Muslim prayer, same objection and for the same reason.

The man is, I have no doubt, a money-grubbing fake. But his position in this case is at least consistant.

Oh please,

When Robertson ran for president in 1988, one of the things he wanted implemented was to have a new form of "policemen" which would use "the Holy Spirit" to find criminals.

Thats right...

A bunch of Joe Blows walking around going: "God is telling me that you're up to no good... come with me downtown."

One of many of his whacked out ideas.

That man and his cronies (Bush comes close) are the single biggest threat to our secular nation that has ever existed.

Pat's position ISN'T consistant at all. There is no ban on prayer in school...there is a general restriction on a public school being used as a church, and teachers preaching to students. Pat agrees with the ideals of Islamic fundamentaists, evenif his faith is different.

1. What is an irony meter and how does it work?

An irony meter is a hypothetical device that measures the level of irony in a situation or statement. It works by detecting discrepancies between what is expected and what actually occurs.

2. Why would someone's irony meter break?

An irony meter may break when faced with an extremely ironic situation or statement that exceeds its capacity to measure. It could also break due to wear and tear from frequent use.

3. Is an irony meter a real device?

No, an irony meter is not a real device. It is a concept or metaphor used to describe the perception of irony in a situation.

4. Can an irony meter be repaired?

Since an irony meter is not a real device, it cannot be repaired. However, if someone's perception of irony is broken, it may be possible to repair or enhance it through critical thinking and analysis.

5. How can I tell if my irony meter is broken?

If you find yourself unable to detect or appreciate irony in situations or statements that others find ironic, it is possible that your irony meter is broken. However, it is important to keep in mind that everyone's perception of irony is subjective, so what may seem ironic to one person may not be seen as such by another.