Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Private Message Limit

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
My private message limit is only 50.

Is it the same for everyone?

Mark FL's limit is 500.So is it something to do with rank?

Please help...

Oh sorry,it deserves better to be placed in the "Questions and feedback" section....So feel free to move it...

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I asked you to do two things:

1. Post this in the Questions, Comments, and Feedback forum (I have moved it)
  2. Post images of the screenshots that you sent to me

Way to follow instructions! :D

Just a bit of good-natured ribbing...but seriously, I saw the screenshots, and it does appear that the OP has a total of 50 messages in the two folders and is getting the error message about them being full.

I advised him to create a topic about it so that we could get to the bottom of it as a team. I suspect there may be some easy fix for this of which I am not aware.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
The easy solution is to clean out your box more often ;) of course, to me that always feels like deleting evidence ><

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
There isn't any error occurring. The PM limit for registered users is 50. For staff members and other positions it increases by varying degrees as a small reward for those people and their time they have put in at MHB. I suggest simply cleaning out your messages more often and not keeping a copy of your sent messages in the sent folder. That way only incoming PMs are counted. If you send more than 50 a day then they probably aren't that long and our live chat area might be more appropriate.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have a recommendation: you can keep all your old messages in archive format. Head on over to your inbox, and scroll all the way to the bottom. There you'll see the option to Download all Private Messages As... XML, CSV, or TXT. I recommend TXT, but you can do whatever. Download all your received messages, and separately download all your sent messages (assuming you keep those). Then delete them from MHB and start over.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013

I asked you to do two things:
1. Post this in the Questions, Comments, and Feedback forum (I have moved it)
Sorry...:eek:

2. Post images of the screenshots that you sent to me
OOPS!!I forgot about it....:mad:

Here they are:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I just heard from another non-staff member who has also informed me their capacity is 50 messages. I apologize for the misunderstanding, as I made the assumption that everyone's message capacity was the same. It does make sense that staff members would have a higher capacity as we are frequently sending and receiving messages regarding forum business with each other and with the members who are reporting issues.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
our live chat area might be more appropriate.
But thats not private...

Can you do anything about it...?I see this as frustrating to delete msgs frequently....(Sadface)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I have a recommendation: you can keep all your old messages in archive format. Head on over to your inbox, and scroll all the way to the bottom. There you'll see the option to Download all Private Messages As... XML, CSV, or TXT. I recommend TXT, but you can do whatever. Download all your received messages, and separately download all your sent messages (assuming you keep those). Then delete them from MHB and start over.
I too have advised the OP of this quite viable option of keeping all messages while still maintaining clean folders in a recent PM to him. In fact I copied and pasted a very helpful post of your regarding this very issue when I asked about it some time ago.

In fact, this is stated in our FAQ:

You will need to periodically delete old messages, as the administrator has probably set a limit to the number of private messages you can have in your folders. If you exceed this number, you will not be able to send or receive new messages until you delete some old ones.
If you would like to keep a record of your messages before you delete them, you can use any of the 'Download as..' options listed above to take a copy and store them on your own computer.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
But thats not private...

Can you do anything about it...?I see this as frustrating to delete msgs frequently....(Sadface)
Save the PMs for issues that you truly wish to be private, and use the Live Chat Box for everything else.

You have to bear in mind that server space is limited, so allowing everyone a large number of messages to be stored is impractical.

Once you develop a routine of downloading the messages, saving them on your hard drive and clearing the folders, it won't be any big deal at all.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
If you have to delete messages multiple times a day then I suggest asking the people with whom you communicate for their email addresses. We try to provide some ways of socially interacting but this isn't a social media site like Facebook. I will see if the other staff think it's worth increasing the limit to something like 75 but I'm not promising anything.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Save the PMs for issues that you truly wish to be private, and use the Live Chat Box for everything else.
How will I communicate with any particular person on the live chat..?

You have to bear in mind that server space is limited, so allowing everyone a large number of messages to be stored is impractical.
Thats a point...

So my request cannot be agreed?

Ok,fine...

Life goes on...

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
How will I communicate with any particular person on the live chat..?
Send them a VM to meet you there, or a better suggestion given above is to correspond with them by email.

As mentioned, private messaging isn't really designed for social conversations. But fortunately, there are many viable options that are. There is email, instant messaging, Skype, etc.