Prioritizing Time vs. Grades: The Impact on Academic and Career Success

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a sophomore physics student in Spain who wants to emigrate for graduate school and career opportunities. They are concerned about their grades and the possibility of losing their grant if they fail exams. They are debating whether to finish their degree quickly or take an extra year to improve their grades. The conversation also mentions the importance of grades for academic jobs and the potential regret of not prioritizing grades over speed.
Lavabug
Which is more important in the long run? In particular, for academic jobs? I'm a sophomore physics student in Spain (set on emigrating upon graduation for gradschool/whatever is necessary for the career path I want, as prospects look grim in and out of academia in my country).

I've gone through 2 career changes and lost 1 whole academic year so I'm now at a 4-year age disadvantage compared to my classmates.

About a month from finals (and 1st semester recup exams, which I have to take, as I did horribly, my background was weak and I needed tons of ground work), I'm struck with a dilemma. My uni allows 3 examination attempts per academic year. I think I can get a fairly good grades on a small handful of courses as I've had more preparation time but others I'm not so sure, so I have the option of postponing some exams til' July or November, or giving it them the best whack I can at the moment and settling for whatever low grade I may get in some courses.

What worries me is the possibility of not passing the exam later down the line and having to repeat the course (and likely losing my grant), so I really need to pass my courses, but at the same time I don't want a crap grades either because I fear its going to really harm me in the long run. I'm a in a tight spot and really don't know what I should do.

Should finishing my degree asap take the highest priority? Or should I risk tacking on another year as an undergraduate to get the best grades I possibly can? Some profs are even discouraging students from finishing in the established 4 years (formerly 5 in my country), though I'm not sure it applies to me considering I've already lost 4 years.

All in all I love the learning experience but I fear I'm going to need to cut back on "enjoying physics" and working more on scraping by just to maintain my grant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:
Which is more important in the long run? In particular, for academic jobs?

1) Don't do physics with the expectation of becoming a research professor.

2) Getting it done well is better than getting it done quickly. Graduate schools care a lot more about your grades than they do that you got your degree done quickly.

3) The above assumes the US. Different countries have different systems so there may be an issue there that isn't obvious to me.

twofish-quant said:
1) Don't do physics with the expectation of becoming a research professor.

2) Getting it done well is better than getting it done quickly. Graduate schools care a lot more about your grades than they do that you got your degree done quickly.

3) The above assumes the US. Different countries have different systems so there may be an issue there that isn't obvious to me.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm not "expecting" to become one, I'm relatively aware its a huge sacrifice and a hugely ambitious goal but I really want to try it, I don't think I have a romanticized view of the profession. My mind open to a few other paths as well.

Any other thoughts?

I went the "get the degree done" route instead of the "retake a class or two and boost your GPA" route.

I regret that...would have been better off taking an extra semester or year as an undergrad to boost that GPA. Sad truth is that the undergrad GPA still comes up even ten+ years out of college, even with subsequent graduate degrees.

I think most employers or grad schools want to see an upward trend in academic accomplishment. If you grades drop at the end of a degree, you are going to look suspect; there isn't an award for being fast.

Related to Prioritizing Time vs. Grades: The Impact on Academic and Career Success

1. Can a student still get good grades if they finish assignments on time?

Yes, a student can still achieve good grades if they finish assignments on time. Finishing on time shows that the student is organized and can manage their time effectively, which are important skills for academic success.

2. Is it better to focus on finishing assignments on time or getting good grades?

It is important to strike a balance between finishing assignments on time and getting good grades. Both are important for academic success. It is recommended to prioritize time management and completing tasks on time, while also striving for good grades by putting in effort and understanding the material.

3. Does finishing assignments on time mean sacrificing the quality of work?

Not necessarily. While it may be tempting to rush through assignments in order to finish them on time, it is important to still put effort into producing quality work. This can be achieved by setting aside enough time for assignments, breaking them down into manageable tasks, and seeking help if needed.

4. How can finishing assignments on time improve grades?

When assignments are completed on time, students have more time to review and revise their work, leading to a better understanding of the material and potentially higher grades. Additionally, submitting assignments on time can also demonstrate responsibility and dedication to the subject, which may positively impact grades.

5. What are some tips for balancing finishing assignments on time and maintaining good grades?

Some tips for balancing finishing assignments on time and maintaining good grades include creating a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down assignments into smaller tasks, seeking help from professors or classmates if needed, and managing distractions such as social media or procrastination. It is also important to prioritize tasks and make sure to allocate enough time for both finishing assignments on time and studying for exams or quizzes.